Mount Monadnock via White Dot Trail to Pumpelly Trail to Cascade Link Loop

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(23)
Monadnock State Park

Mount Monadnock via White Dot Trail to Pumpelly Trail to Cascade Link Loop is a 5.4 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Jaffrey, New Hampshire that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from April until September.

Distance: 5.4 miles Elevation Gain: 1,860 feet Route Type: Loop

I would rate this combination of trails as moderate to hard. The White Dot trail is steep in places but is a scenic way to ascend the mountain. Pumpelly has expansive, awesome vistas. Cascade link is a nice walk through mature forest and is a gradual, manageable descent. Overall this is a great hike and a solid workout. Be prepared with food and water, bug repellent, and sturdy boots. Expect to see a lot of people at the summit, but the views are worth it and there is plenty of space to spread out.

We did this trail (in reverse), and it was awesome: White dot > Cascade Link > Pumpelly > White Cross. The ranger sung the praises of this trail, and I can see why! Going up Cascade gives you so many opportunities for wide vistas and some pretty fun scrambling. That does mean more of the trail is uphill than down, but it never felt grueling - but we also went at a pretty easy pace as we did this with a 6 year old. I loved having the extra time to take in the views as we went. (A side note: there are some near vertical scrambles on Cascade, which made me grateful we were going up them, not down them.) It took us about 4:45 hours with about 45 of those minutes being lunch and snack stops, and definitely make sure the tread on your boots is in good shape.

I enjoyed this hike! So glad I did this route with Cascade Link on the way down. You get more ridge line time along Pumpelly, and pass by beautiful wild flowers & grasses. White Dot was wayyy more populated than Cascade Link, the latter wasn’t as well marked - just be aware and you won’t lose the trail. Hit some bugs coming down Cascade Link, I was happy for bug spray. Completed in just over 4 hours with a 15 minute lunch break at the summit.

Thu Oct 18 2018

This was a challenging hike for me, harder and longer than Monte Rosa-White Arrow or the Dublin Trail. The ascent on White Cross was VERY crowded; a school trip of over 100 teenagers was coming down as i started up, making it impossible to hit a stride. The views approaching the summit were spectacular on this clear fall day. Descending via Pumpelly to Cascade Link is longer but less steep and a nice change from the other approaches. This part of Pumpelly is entirely marked by cairns. Cascade Link, marked by an orange dot, was muddy and had some tricky, near-vertical root & rock parts. My cell phone died on the 5 hr hike so i didn't get a recording.

Mon Jan 22 2018

Fun, not a place to hike for a quiet afternoon

Sat Apr 13 2019