Mount Monadnock via White Dot and White Cross Trails

Mount Monadnock via White Dot and White Cross Trails is a 3.7 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Jaffrey, New Hampshire that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until November.

Distance: 3.7 miles Elevation Gain: 1,768 feet Route Type: Loop

rock climbing

A very popular, steep scramble up a nice peak in Southern New Hampshire with great views from its bald summit. Monadnock Mountain is reputed to be one of the most hiked mountains in the world with over 125,000 people climbing it every year. The hiking trails are very steep in places and can be rocky. It can easily be done in a half day. Older kids will have a ton of fun rock hopping their way to the summit on the steep trail and this hike is also a great place to see the changing leaves in fall. As one of the most climbed mountains, Monadnock is a very popular New England hike just north of very populated cities in Vermont and Massachusetts so you most likely won't be alone on the trail. Parking in the lot off of Poole Road can be a challenge, and the summit can be windy, so you may want to bring an additional layer for the top. Other trails in the area include the White Cross Trail, Birchtoft Trail, Cascade Link Trail and Pumpelly Trail.

Went 9/14: summit was "closed" . Only allowed to go to White Cross/White Dot jct. Rained/very windy. Took White Dot up and back. Crawled up the rocks and slid and crawled back down. White Cross would have had the wind against us. Definitely not for the faint of heart. Will do it again next summer.

The summit was “closed” but we were still able to make it to the top. High winds, wet rocks, and very little visibility. Not for the faint of heart but worth the struggle nonetheless

great hike overall. no visibility at the summit and very windy.

I came down White cross, some steep spots but not as bad as white dot. Trail has a lot of water on it right now and is muddy in spots. Rocks get very slippery. There was a few sections I could not avoid the water or mud which went over my boots.

Great, steep hike!

Within the quarter mile we found 3 orange salamanders! Hiked this trail with kids in the age range from 8-16. They did great with some occasional help. It ended up being 4.3 miles for us and there was a marathon going on. So this was more than just the normal heavy trafficked trail. Still, it was cool to watch people conquer such a race! We got to the top in about 2 hours with a couple water breaks. One scramble going up on white dot was tough with kids and I was glad there were so many people there to help. (You had to hug the wall and just go fast). Definitely, go up white dot and back down white cross! People were going back down white dot and that would be dangerous with young kids. I thought it was dangerous for adults! White cross had a lot of puddle hopping. The hopping was fun at times (until you didn’t make the hop). Make sure you have hiking shoes cuz you will need the grip up and down the scrambles. The rangers were helpful and great at the entrance. He said it will take you about 4 hours, and it did! (I usually am much faster). Overall, great hike and my nieces and nephews did it without complaints (to be honest, bribes were used). This is a great hike I would do it again! Maybe, even make it a tradition with my nieces and nephews!!

Easy hike with ok views.. good hike to just get out and enjoy nature! Only a tiny portion of the White Dot trail had awkward scramble.

My go-to favorite solo hike. You will feel totally safe on well-maintained trails and pleasantly rewarded with a spectacular summit view. Also a great winter hike for those with crampons/ snow shoes. No doggos allowed, which is a real bummer.

Amazingly fun hike, had a great time scrambling up rocks near and at the summit. The views are incredible and trails can get pretty difficult and hard on the knees but very worth it! Crowded especially going up White Dot but once you look out at the 360 view, there's not much you can do but appreciate the shear beauty around you. We took White Arrow + several different trails on the way down and it was less trafficked and tons of fun.

One of the best parts of this trial is the camaraderie. The trail is well maintained and there are many hikers willing to share their experiences as well as their expertise. This is my second trip up the mountain and o look forward to tackling this mountain in the winter

I did white dot trail to Cascade to spillman then Pumpelly to the summit then white cross down. that was suggested by the ranger at the gate for a little extra challenge in the way up. Also gets you away from the crowds in the way up. Great hike.

Great trail. Lots of people on a weekend. If they bunch up it can become difficult to pass if you are on a fast pace. Either way, it’s a fun hike!

Great hike. Would not recommend in the rain. Lots of places to hide and hang out at summit. Would definitely hike again. Great 360 views.

We love this trail, my husband and I do it every year. Challenging but fun rock scramble, legs are sore the next day. We started late (2:30pm) and were down by 5:30pm, but shocked to see that some people were just starting the climb! If you can be back within 1.5 hours I guess that’s fine, but it’s getting dark fast so I can’t imagine doing this trail in the darkness - very very dangerous, especially going down you have to plan EVERY step as it’s very rocky! So definitely start early! Hiking second half of the trail is much more exciting as the views are amazing. Was very pleased that this year we improved our stats and completed the trail much faster. Great trail, one of my favorites!