Mount Monadnock via White Dot and White Cross Trails

Mount Monadnock via White Dot and White Cross Trails is a 3.7 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Jaffrey, New Hampshire that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

rock climbing

A very popular, steep scramble up a nice peak in Southern New Hampshire with great views from its bald summit. Monadnock Mountain is reputed to be one of the most hiked mountains in the world with over 125,000 people climbing it every year. The hiking trails are very steep in places and can be rocky. It can easily be done in a half day. Older kids will have a ton of fun rock hopping their way to the summit on the steep trail and this hike is also a great place to see the changing leaves in fall. As one of the most climbed mountains, Monadnock is a very popular New England hike just north of very populated cities in Vermont and Massachusetts so you most likely won't be alone on the trail. Parking in the lot off of Poole Road can be a challenge, and the summit can be windy, so you may want to bring an additional layer for the top. Other trails in the area include the White Cross Trail, Birchtoft Trail, Cascade Link Trail and Pumpelly Trail.

Awesome trail with gorgeous views!

This hike was beautiful. The first mountain I’ve ever climbed. Did it a few years back. Difficult at parts because it’s like you’re rock climbing, but a great workout!! Definitely would recommend it to others. Awesome photo ops at the summit. Would love to do it again!!!

great hike. well marked. a challenging hike but had an awesome hike. if my 7yr old daughter can do it, so can you.

hiking on Sunday 6/3/18.

This is a great hike to summit a mountain on the east coast and get a great view, when you don’t want to commit to summiting in the white mountains. But this trail is definitely crowded. It is wonderful to see so many families outside being active. But if you are looking for solitude, you won’t find it here.

The hike itself is a steep scramble for a good part of the way. But it’s very doable and fun. Don’t forget it’s windy at the top so bring layers.

I only gave it 4 stars due to how crowded it is. By everything else is wonderful. And there is a bathroom with running water in the parking lot.

So crowded but a good challenging trail. It is very steep and rocky with lots of rock scrambling at the top. We saw kids from 4 years old and adults up to 70+ doing. It took us 2 hours up and 1.5 hours down. We've done it faster before but I guess I'm out of shape now! It was super crowded at the top - tons of people picnicking and lots of kids running around. Trail is very clean - no trash - and bathrooms at the bottom. It's $5/person to park.

Phenomenal

Of the 20 years that I have been hiking, this trail by far is the best of them. It is challenging even for an experienced hiker like me and by far the most scenic trail that I've ever hiked. Pretty much every step of this trail is a scenic photo op so I've took plenty of pictures along the way. It is a little crowded but I don't mind.

The only thing that could make this trail any better is if there is a cool refreshing stream or waterfall along the way. As it is, the 3.9 miles loop is perfect for a half day hike giving us plenty of time to lunch and nap at the summit. I will definitely hit this trail again before the end of the year.

Hiked February 3rd, the trail was awesome! Beautiful views at the summit and wasn’t too rough

Awesome views and great hike. Take your time on a nice day and it is beautiful!!

We descended the white cross trail after ascending via birchtoft, red spot and Pumpelly. The weather made this a very challenging hike, as it was raining for most of the day and high winds at the summit. The wet rocks made for slippery footing and a slow, careful descent. No views at the top, as were in a cloud. A short burst of hail made a appearance too! I would prefer to do this next time in drier weather, but all the scouts and I felt a great sense of accomplishment!

Challenging, beautiful 360 view at the summit!

Fun easy hike. Summit in about an 1.5 hours if you can hold a decent pace. Nice view from the top where you can see the presidential range to the north east and the green mountains to the west. Some cool geology with weathering on the granite if you look close.

I've hiked this a few times and it is easily a favorite of mine. I had the pleasure of actually getting the summit all to myself one evening I hiked it solo after work. I would not say it's to difficult even with the rock scrambles because as long as you pace yourself both going up and down and are careful of your footing it's a enjoyable hike.
I've done it top to bottom in 3 hours solo but it can also be more of a leisurely hike with a group around 4--4.5 hours total.

Took the white dot up and white cross down. Hiked with my 10 year old. There is still a fair amount of ice and snow would strongly suggest wearing spikes or crampons but I saw multiple people hiking without them. A lot of people had sneakers on which is kinda nutty for the conditions. We did not wear ours the entire hike. We put them on about half way up and took them off about half way down.

I didn't notice a huge difference in difficulty between the two trails other than the white dot has several scrambles and the white cross does not. The incline or steepeness is pretty much the same for both trails. If your uncomfortable with climbing over and around large rocks take the white cross up and down which feels more like a long staircase. I also noticed no real difference in distance between the trails but my mileage does not match the posted distances.

I really enjoyed this hike. Although I wouldn't rate it as difficult. I also wouldn't suggest this for a people without any experience. There are plenty of other trails with just as good views better suited for first timers. My ten year managed well over the multiple scrambles but spikes were necessary because of winter conditions. I would take my six year old in the summer but not in the winter or early spring. The most difficult portion of the climb is the last scramble on the white dot before the trails meet and the the last push before the peak which is completed with either trail.

You will have to pay to get into the park. It's the only state park I've seen open since last fall. Had I known I would have brought my vehicle with the state park plate. I brought cash but was told you can pay with credit or debit at the toll booth.

I will definitely come back in the summer with my younger child.

Most of the trail is on rock, so it’s more difficult than it might sound. You start getting views a little more than halfway up. It’s been hazy the last two times I’ve gone there (in August), so the vistas haven’t been as great as they can be. They are certainly phenomenal on a clear day. Beware of crowds (including weekdays) on one of the most climbed mountains in the world.

So worth doing!!!

Choose when you go wisely, trails are often packed in warmer months.

On a warmer day (1/21), temps were in upper 30's. summit was 31degree. Had microspikes and proven to be essential for the hike. Saw another couple from Brazil who had cleats and after suggesting them gave them one spare microspikes. They were really thankful at the summit. Summit was little windy and we had to put the gloves and cap back on otherwise it was manageable with good jacket and thermals.

Incredible hike! There are a lot of scrambled and a lot of boulders, but the views are entirely worth it. It was pretty challenging and took us about ~4 hours to hike it, round trip. There are SO MANY people on this hike! The summit has a very nice area for picnics with a great view.

beautiful day to hike- freezing temps kept the crowds away, but the sun and clear skies made for a lovely trip. microspikes were helpful with snow and ice covering the trail. enough people had blazed ahead, so no trouble finding the path. entire trip took about 2.5hrs.

First winter hike 12 degrees at base -4 at summit beautiful day to get out!

White dot up, white cross (least steep) down, 3 hours 40 min; carried microspike but not needed; slippery surface with rock and leaves but manageable condition. Lots of people on trails. Amazing views half way and at the top.

Great hike! Beautiful view

great trail, beautiful views

Great hike!

really enjoyed this trail

Nice day hike make sure to bring appropriate gear!

Beautiful hike today with my boys! However white cross was much more difficult, unsure why the gentleman manning the entrance told us white dot up, white cross down. I️ would have found white dot going down would have been much easier.

Heavily trafficked are the keywords here. I’m giving it four stars because it’s Mount Monadnock but there are less busy trails to the top that are just as scenic.