Memorial Day Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $14.99
Get Started

Mount Monadnock via Parker Trail and Cliff Walk

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(32)
Monadnock State Park

Mount Monadnock via Parker Trail and Cliff Walk is a 5.9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Jaffrey, New Hampshire that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and bird watching and is best used from April until October.

Distance: 5.9 miles Elevation Gain: 1,801 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Great way to stretch the legs, took a big loop over Bald Rock avoiding the crowds and the too windy summit. Some excellent views!

couldnt finish due to fear of thunder, rocky and tough at the cliff walk

We did a loop of our own creation - Parker, Cliff Walk, then Lost Farm, connecting back with Parker. Did not take us to the summit. Took us 3 hours. That portion of Cliff Walk had some rock scaling that I'd classify as moderate, but the views of the valley and ponds were spectacular.

I'm going to have to agree with one of the other reviewers on the rating of this trail. Parker was easy. just a nice trail in the woods. Cliff Walk was a whole other story. a bit scrambley at times, I would rate this trail as moderate with harder parts. my climb to the summit I would rate as hard, as it was one giant rock scramble. that being said, the views are amazing. totally worth my rock climb. I went down via White Cross trail, which for some reason is rated hard. I would rate that as moderate. an excellent hike all around.

This trail is not rated very well. Parker is easy, Cliff Walk is probably moderate, Amphitheater and White Arrow must be in the hard category (obviously my opinion as an older person). The trail should be rated by its most difficult sections so that people unfamiliar with the hike do not get in over their head. That being said, it was still a great hike. Even on July 4th, Parker was quiet, Cliff Walk had some fantastic views with not too many people, and the rest got quite busy. The top was very busy, but worth the effort.

Mon Aug 06 2018

this was a great hike, I would say Parker trail is very easy, but would not rate Cliff Walk trail as easy, quite a few rock scrambles, but lots of fun. Much preferable to the crowded white dot on the way down.

Wed Jul 25 2018

Loved this trail! probobly the best views bar the summit on any of this parks trails. Great winter option as most of it is south facing.

Sat Feb 24 2018

Great trail, ended up in this trail after taking Parker to old road. There is a slight area where it gets harder to find markers etc but if you pay attention it’s not hard to find it. After getting to the top we took white cross down. It’s very icy and watery right now so use caution. Go slow!

Sat Oct 28 2017

A great trail. Challenging in a good way, beautiful views. And very uncrowded on a day where the 2 main trails were absolutely packed.

Thu Jul 06 2017

Took this route last Thursday to stay away from the crowds and literally only ran into three people on my route towards the summit. Cut onto Cliff Walk Trail and winded then through Thoreau's Trail to the White Arrow Trail to the top. It was peaceful and beautiful and pretty easy until I got above the tree line. At that point, it became quite windy and dropped a solid 20 degrees, and required some scrambling, but it was fun and exhilarating! I decided to take the White Dot Trail back and was surprised to learn how direct and fast it truly was to get to the parking lot. All in all, I spent about 4.5 hours exploring, hiking, and reveling in the breathtaking views.

Sat Nov 05 2016

Took this route to stay away from the crowds as well. Parker was ok but once you hit cliff walk it gets pretty nice. But I also took Parker to lost farm to cliff walk.

Wed Apr 20 2016

great way to escape the crowds

Sat Mar 09 2019