Mount Major Southern Loop Trail (Orange to Blue) is a 2.9 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Alton Bay, New Hampshire that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and trail running and is best used from April until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Mount Major Via Boulder Trail And Brook Trail

I have hiked this a few times now. And although there are some tricky spots that are steep overall it’s a good hike. It’s short but has an awesome reward with the view at the top. Good for beginners, kids and dogs. Would recommend going during a weekday to avoid crowding.

Beautiful views of Lake Winnipesaukee. Hiked with five kids, 10,7,6,4,3. Was a bit steep in places, but not too difficult if you're a regular hiker. We hiked back down after dark, which I wouldn't recommend, trail is highly eroded.

Beautiful views, but weekend crowds made it feel like we were hiking in a stream of people. The summit is spacious, so it is possible to tuck away into a more private spot to enjoy the epic scenery. Orange trail down is less crowded and steep, very fun to hop your way down the giant rocks and crevices.

Love this hike! It’s one of my favorites. Parking is great and the trails are great. Views at the top are stunning and well worth the climb. However, I personally do not recommend this hike in the winter. It is doable, but even with spikes the icy rocks made it very difficult to climb up and even more difficult and quite dangerous to get back down. Views in winter were awesome though!!

The orange trail (Boulder loop up was a great hike up the mountain. It’s definitely steep in areas but nothing too bad. We then too the blue/yellow down. It was a nice hike too about 3 hours up and down.

Definitely a little steep in spots with plenty of rocks to climb over and around. Certainly challenging but not too difficult. Amazing views make it a worthwhile hike.

I very nice hike and the view was worth every minute of it. I suggest you go early in the day as there tends to be A LOT of people mid day.

Fairly short and relatively easy, though a little steep in parts. The view is amazing and very worth it.

I would not rate this easy in any way. Lots of boulders to climb over. Trail is very well marked. This one was too hard for me. Really beautiful views at the top.

Steep hike but fun beautiful views.

Solid hike with some great views of Lake Winnipesaukee. Heavily trafficked trail so you'll have plenty of company on nice days. Overall, not a very difficult hike, although there are a couple short, technical spots on the ascent

great hike we took our three kids age 8 10 12 to the summit today for there first ever hike they loved it and had no problems with the steep spots

A nice and fairly easy hike with a lovely view of the Winnipesaukee Lake from the top. Really worth it!

Beautiful sights

Short scrambly bit near the top, but otherwise very easy. Lovely view from the top, and the ruins if the old hut were great for taking a break out of the wind.

Nice hike to the top of Mount Major. It starts gradually, then gets increasingly steeper until a little scrambling at the end. You start getting views part way up, and at the summit, there are great vistas of the Lakes Region, the White Mountains, and even Mount Washington on a clear day. Descends via the Boulder Loop Trail, which starts off easy, but lives up to its name in the middle section. The Boulder Loop Trail can be very wet (literally a stream) after a rainstorm.

Very slippery. Crampons or snowshoes help.

Monday, October 23, 2017

Took my three boys on their first hike, and we completed the blue trail, very friendly and family atmosphere!

Sunday, October 22, 2017

Quick, fairly easy—but rigorous enough to make you feel accomplished. The summit is large and really stunning all around. Just wish there weren’t so many people.

Sunday, October 08, 2017

beautiful hike!!

Thursday, September 28, 2017

Fantastic hike with incredible views at the top. My favorite ~3 hour hike in NH!

Saturday, September 09, 2017

Some steep rocky sections but well worth it with amazing views at the summit.

Tuesday, September 05, 2017

240 degree views from the summit and perfect views of the lake

Thursday, August 10, 2017

It's a beautiful hike with gorgeous views, but NOT at all easy or moderate, especially for dogs and small children! I will leave my dog home next time!

Saturday, July 29, 2017

Great views from the top

Sunday, July 09, 2017

This was our hiking group's first hike of the season. I would rate it moderate to somewhat hard.

The weather was spectacular and we all
had a great hike and enjoyed the views from the peak.

Monday, June 26, 2017

Great day hike!

Monday, June 12, 2017

Quite steep. Would recommend to wear hiking shoes to protect your ankles - my husband managed to sprain his ankle.. Trail is quite busy on the weekend but views are amazing!

Sunday, June 11, 2017

We did the blue up (Mt Major trail) and orange (Boulder loop) down, which based on this map, looks like combined they make up the southern loop. I would rate it more as moderate but it is pretty steep and washed out at some points. According to the trail maps at Mount Major it is actually 3.1 miles. The view is gorgeous and worth it! We brought our dog and loved it :)