Mount Major Southern Loop Trail (Orange to Blue)

Mount Major Southern Loop Trail (Orange to Blue) is a 2.9 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Alton Bay, New Hampshire that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and trail running and is best used from April until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Mount Major Via Boulder Trail And Brook Trail

I very nice hike and the view was worth every minute of it. I suggest you go early in the day as there tends to be A LOT of people mid day.

Fairly short and relatively easy, though a little steep in parts. The view is amazing and very worth it.

I would not rate this easy in any way. Lots of boulders to climb over. Trail is very well marked. This one was too hard for me. Really beautiful views at the top.

Steep hike but fun beautiful views.

Solid hike with some great views of Lake Winnipesaukee. Heavily trafficked trail so you'll have plenty of company on nice days. Overall, not a very difficult hike, although there are a couple short, technical spots on the ascent

great hike we took our three kids age 8 10 12 to the summit today for there first ever hike they loved it and had no problems with the steep spots

A nice and fairly easy hike with a lovely view of the Winnipesaukee Lake from the top. Really worth it!

Beautiful sights

Short scrambly bit near the top, but otherwise very easy. Lovely view from the top, and the ruins if the old hut were great for taking a break out of the wind.

Nice hike to the top of Mount Major. It starts gradually, then gets increasingly steeper until a little scrambling at the end. You start getting views part way up, and at the summit, there are great vistas of the Lakes Region, the White Mountains, and even Mount Washington on a clear day. Descends via the Boulder Loop Trail, which starts off easy, but lives up to its name in the middle section. The Boulder Loop Trail can be very wet (literally a stream) after a rainstorm.

Very slippery. Crampons or snowshoes help.

Took my three boys on their first hike, and we completed the blue trail, very friendly and family atmosphere!

Quick, fairly easy—but rigorous enough to make you feel accomplished. The summit is large and really stunning all around. Just wish there weren’t so many people.

beautiful hike!!

Fantastic hike with incredible views at the top. My favorite ~3 hour hike in NH!

Some steep rocky sections but well worth it with amazing views at the summit.

240 degree views from the summit and perfect views of the lake

Thursday, August 10, 2017

It's a beautiful hike with gorgeous views, but NOT at all easy or moderate, especially for dogs and small children! I will leave my dog home next time!

Saturday, July 29, 2017

Great views from the top

Sunday, July 09, 2017

This was our hiking group's first hike of the season. I would rate it moderate to somewhat hard.

The weather was spectacular and we all
had a great hike and enjoyed the views from the peak.

Monday, June 26, 2017

Great day hike!

Monday, June 12, 2017

Quite steep. Would recommend to wear hiking shoes to protect your ankles - my husband managed to sprain his ankle.. Trail is quite busy on the weekend but views are amazing!

Sunday, June 11, 2017

We did the blue up (Mt Major trail) and orange (Boulder loop) down, which based on this map, looks like combined they make up the southern loop. I would rate it more as moderate but it is pretty steep and washed out at some points. According to the trail maps at Mount Major it is actually 3.1 miles. The view is gorgeous and worth it! We brought our dog and loved it :)

Wednesday, April 19, 2017

Great views. Tricky at times but i wouldn't say its difficult, definitely lots of places to twist your ankle. some parts are quite steep but not a long hike either.

incredibly crowded!

Wednesday, March 08, 2017

I would classify this as moderate. It's not a real long hike, and the only hard thing we found was finding the trail right at the very top. Hard to figure where it goes. So we just kept going straight up at one point. Great views of the lake when you summit Mt. Major. Well worth the effort. We got here mid week and barely found a place to park. It was packed. Fairly well signed at the bottom, so it wasn't tough to get started. Nice to be able to take a different route down as this loop does. Short and sweet!!