Mount Major and Brook Trail Loop

Mount Major and Brook Trail Loop is a 3.7 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Alton Bay, New Hampshire that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

This is a great hike! Our four year old climbed the entire trail, up and down, all by himself, with some snack/lunch breaks of course. We hike frequently but this was his first mountain! He loved the steep sections at the top. Harder for my husband to carry our 2.5 year old down the Brook Trail - and definitely glad we did not choose to go up that longer way. I was about 15 weeks pregnant when we hiked this and given our pace with the kids, I only felt out of breath a handle of times. It’s not easy but it’s manageable if you slow down. The loop took us a little over 5 hours including time spent at the top. If we did it again, we’d go straight up and down, although the Brook section was much more quiet. My biggest complaint is just how crowded it was, Memorial Day weekend, but that’s to be expected on this level of a hike I think. We found tons of salamanders and enjoyed an amazing view, even on a more cloudy day! We’ll definitely be back.

Great view as always; warning of cayotes.. We actually heard a bear roar and run in the woods... We were very quiet coming down on Sunday.

Fun family friendly hike with great views.

Great hike with awesome lake views. Took our 6 month old cattle dog and he did great with all the rocky areas! Definitely recommend.

B

Great Day with some great views. A few steeper sections, but no falls today. Pretty quiet for a weekday morning, only one school group and they were leaving the summit as we arrived. When we got down from the mountain around 12:30/1:00, the parking lot was really filling up.

This was a lovely hike,especially for the first of the season. We hiked on 5/27/18 which was the start of a holiday weekend and it was extremely busy. There were no parts of the trail we were alone. It was quite easy to hike with only a couple of rocky scrambles on the way up and one or two steep spots coming down right after the peak. Nice views of the forest and bay from the top. Great hike for kids, even young ones, and dogs. Was too easy for my skill level but a nice fast run that allowed us time to see a few sights around the lake towns after. Parking lot and street were full but we got a lucky spot from some early birds leaving. This would be a great first mountain hike for anyone just getting started with hiking.

Enjoyable trail. Ascended via Mt. Major Trail.
There's a small flat spot with a nice view just below the summit. Since there were 225 teenagers on a field trip at the top, we paused at this scenic view for a bit before completing the ascent. Quite windy at the top. Descended via Brook Trail which hooks up to Mt. Major at the .7 mile mark. Brook is an easier and quieter descent as there are some steep sections of Mt. Major.

Loved this trail! Was looking for a diverse experience and this hike had it all from different species of animals to rocks, dirt and mud, to a MAGNIFICENT view at the top. Great “dust-offer” for the first hike of the season. The only part that scared me was a rattlesnake that surprised is on the way down just a feet or two from us. Other than that hesitation, we Will do again!

This is a pretty quick hike with an excellent payoff with views of the bay. I convinced my buddy Derrick to hike this during a full moon. We made it to the top barely using headlamps and set up a couple hammocks. The highlight was watching the sunrise above the lake.

I agree that the views are amazing! You can see the water and forest below almost 360degrees around you because the summit is clear of heavy forest and is mainly smooth rock. I found the toughest part was the trail marked with orange blazes I took on the descent. Although the stone felt rough and I was able to get a good grip, I found it more difficult than expected. Wear strong hiking boots. Bring layers. The top was windy and chilly.

On a clear day it really is an unparalleled view of Lake Wini. It’s a short hike but a great one to shake off the rust from winter. Can definitely get your heart rate going a bit at parts but nothing too intense. Highly suggest for all levels of hikers.

Parking lot fills up fast on nice days, but the views from the top are gorgeous.

outstanding views at the summit. kid and dog friendly!

We started on the blue trail then switch to the yellow trail. We had to cross little streams and lots of mud but it was doable if you stayed on the edges of the trail. The view from the top was spectacular and well worth the climb through woods and snow. We came down the blue trail. It was very icy and very steep. We heard from other hikers the orange trail was easier and not so icy. We started at 11:30 and ended at 4:30 with a 1/2 rest at top. All in all a great day of hiking for a couple of 63 years old.

Parking was full at 9am, lots of large groups, kids, and dogs. Trail was in good condition, standard spring mud and stream crossings. Still some significant snow and ice 4/21, microspikes were very helpful last third of the way up. The summit was sparsely populated compared to summer, and very windy. Windchill brought the temperature down significantly.

Love this trail and view is amazing

good trail, snow made it difficult at few spot in return trail

Great views. Well worth the hike!

Very nice hike, starts off gradual and gets increasingly steeper until a little scrambling near the end. Easily doable by nearly all ages, though, and you start getting views part way up. Great vistas on the summit of the Lakes Region, the White Mountains, and Mount Washington on a clear day. I have heard that it can get extremely crowded on weekends in the summer and fall, so plan your hike accordingly.

A short loop to some pretty views of Alton Bay, squam lake and lake winniepasuke.. The parking lot fills up quickly in the morning. A must do at sunrise.

A very pretty and fairly easy hike. There were a few small scrambles and a lot of forest; it took us ~1.5 hours to do a round trip. There are quite a number of people here (at least in summer), but the views are worth it, and there's a nice spot for a picnic at the very top!

Was beautiful in the “winter wonderland”

Did this hike in October with my little pup. It was pretty quiet on the Tuesday morning but I can imagine that it would be incredibly busy most weekends, especially in the fall. We took the main trail up and the Brook Trail down. Amazing views of Winnipesaukee from the summit!

Brook trail got icier the higher up you went. Stick to the edges and you will be okay. Be sure to bring an extra pair of socks in case you slip and step onto water (like I did.. a few times). Higher up the trail, more boulders and rocks so be mindful - ankle support is key.

Great trail. Moderate effort. Roundtrip took about 3 hrs. We took the brook trail (yellow) up and boulder (orange) trail down. Weather was great. Cool but only a little bit of wind. Make sure you have good boots. Lots of rocks and boulders so you could easily twist an ankle. Also, ice is starting to appear on the brook trail but boulder was dry. Great views of the lake at the top of Mt Major. Will be back to do the range trail.

Brook trail is my least favorite as the brook tends to impede the trail throughout. I recommend blue and orange instead

Starts out easy enough with a bit of rocky, steep, terrain. Wear ankle support. Fantastic views.

Hiked up to the summit with my husband and dog. My husband had some issues with the more steep areas but my dog and I managed to make it up and down just fine, with my husband tagging along behind us. The hike to the summit and back down took us about 3 hours.

Overall one of my favorite hikes. Went today and even though it drizzled on the way up and poured on the way down the differing terrain types and amazing views throughout made everything worth it. Be careful stepping up as some parts are heavy with large rock formations.