Mount Major and Brook Trail Loop

Mount Major and Brook Trail Loop is a 3.7 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Alton Bay, New Hampshire that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Going up blue was rough but better than going down it. Snow all on the trail with some icy portions. Microspikes are a definitely a good idea.

Great!

An excellent scenic trail that is fairly short but has much to offer. I really like the wide open trail and the soothing sound of the running brook and the view of the snow covered lake is breathtaking. I went on March 31st and was really surprised to find the trail still covered in black ice and snow. Even now in early spring, I would say a crampon is mandatory to be able to do this trail safely and enjoyable. I was fortunate that I read another reviewer said to get crampon and I got one for every member of my group and that was critical in making our hike safe and enjoyable.

It was my first hike in the ice and snow and I really like the experience and will be doing much more. The air is more refreshing and I like the winter scenery.

Nice short hike. Trails were a sheet of ice so grab some spikes for March. Hiked back down the Brook Trail to do the loop. Nice steady decline, easy on the knees and footing. Beautiful view of Lake Winnipesaukee and the Whites! 1.5-2 hours total.

Beautiful views! still very snowy. Recommend doing this route counterclockwise (up blue, down orange). Makes going down much safer - it’s a more gradual grade and there’s less snow. saw lots of people riding their butts back down the blue trail to get down. Would also recommend spikes if you have them - made it infinitely safer. One of my favorite places to hike in the area. Loop is 3.5mi, not 2.9. Took about 2h.

Just needed microspikes today on the trail, no snowshoes or crampons. Starting to get mushy in some places but overall a great little hike with great views.

Fun clear day! Need micros for an enjoyable time. 1 hour 45 min time.

Great winter hike for hikers of all abilities. However this mountain requires traction (microspikes, Trail crampons) in winter months; without traction, the slopes near the summit would be treacherous (quite a bit of ice). With traction, the whole loop is enjoyable, easy-to-moderate, and can be completed in 2-2.5 hours. Enjoy!

Really liked this hike! It was crowded when we started in the afternoon on a weekend. We had to park on the main road outside the parking lot and saw a ton of people on the trail. The hike was challenging but the views at the top were great!

Wife and I climbed Mt Major this morning. A beautiful day to be outdoors. Temps were in the Low 40’s with sunshine. Wind made it a little chilly at the summit. Always remember, there’s no such thing as bad weather. Just poor choices in clothing:). Took us 1.5 hours up and 1 hour down. Recommend some sort of traction cleats or crampons as well as trekking poles. Approximately 6 to 8 inches of snow throughout most of the hike. A little slippery coming down the blue trail. All in all a very blessed day.

Great day hike and close to home.

Great day for a hike:) Mount Major did not disappoint!

Hiked the boulder loop and brook trail today. It was beautiful and the foot traffic was very light. weekdays seem to be an ideal time to hike Mt Major. The summit was freezing and windy, but the fall colors were still beautiful.

One of the best hikes in the Lake area. It is definitely more on the easy side, but it offers breathtaking views of the surrounding lakes with minimal effort.

Took the yellow trail up which was awesome for the dog lots of flowing water and big rocks to make it easy to climb up. After reaching the summit looped back down on blue, which was shorter but much steeper with a lot of smooth rock. To say the least it was not as enjoyable back down but the way up was great

Beautiful views for minimal effort. Don't expect any challenge unless you are a very new hiker, the trail should be rated as easy. Gorgeous though!

I was honestly not as impressed with this hike as I thought I would be. We took the blue trail up, which was slightly steep but was also pretty slick on the rock parts. We went down the yellow trail which was either all mud or flowing water. Towards the end of the hike there were crowds of people starting up the trail. The view at the top was awesome and worth it since the hike was decently short and easy but not as difficult as I expected

Very good trail for hiker enthusiasts. Semi difficulties at some rocky spots. The view on the top is amazing. Will do again

Really pretty hike, great views. Any age can climb. Takes about 1.5-3 hours.

Great views from the top and a few spots on the way. We went up the blue trail and came back the yellow. Very crowded in the lot but not terrible on the trail. Assent was rockier and more difficult than I anticipated but loved it and totally worth it.

Ahhh what an amazing view at the top! This hike is a must! We went up the blue trail which was pretty rocky but made it interesting and on the way down we went with the yellow trail which was way more relaxed, not rocky at all, it follows a pretty stream down (definitely easier in your knees)! The loop took us 3 hrs with some time at the top. I wouldn’t recommend hiking this with a baby on your back unless you did strictly the yellow trail... after hiking all season with my child I was glad I didn’t have her for this one. Overall very nice hike... fall time is busy but we went early enough where we didn’t really get stuck in any crowds... however when we got back to the parking lot it was full along with each side of the road with cars for about a mile - it was crazy!

Great hike up on the blue trail. Beautiful views of the lake from summit. Yellow trail down was more gentle on the knees. What a day spent with ling-time friends

Beautiful views

Stunning view

Great views.

Amazing view. Moderate hiking.

Such a fun and manageable hike! Definitely recommend going up the blue an down the yellow, because the blue gets a little steep at the top! Such gorgeous views at the summit!!