Mount Major and Brook Trail Loop

Mount Major and Brook Trail Loop is a 3.8 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Alton Bay, New Hampshire that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

A very pretty and fairly easy hike. There were a few small scrambles and a lot of forest; it took us ~1.5 hours to do a round trip. There are quite a number of people here (at least in summer), but the views are worth it, and there's a nice spot for a picnic at the very top!

Was beautiful in the “winter wonderland”

Did this hike in October with my little pup. It was pretty quiet on the Tuesday morning but I can imagine that it would be incredibly busy most weekends, especially in the fall. We took the main trail up and the Brook Trail down. Amazing views of Winnipesaukee from the summit!

Brook trail got icier the higher up you went. Stick to the edges and you will be okay. Be sure to bring an extra pair of socks in case you slip and step onto water (like I did.. a few times). Higher up the trail, more boulders and rocks so be mindful - ankle support is key.

Great trail. Moderate effort. Roundtrip took about 3 hrs. We took the brook trail (yellow) up and boulder (orange) trail down. Weather was great. Cool but only a little bit of wind. Make sure you have good boots. Lots of rocks and boulders so you could easily twist an ankle. Also, ice is starting to appear on the brook trail but boulder was dry. Great views of the lake at the top of Mt Major. Will be back to do the range trail.

Brook trail is my least favorite as the brook tends to impede the trail throughout. I recommend blue and orange instead

Starts out easy enough with a bit of rocky, steep, terrain. Wear ankle support. Fantastic views.

Hiked up to the summit with my husband and dog. My husband had some issues with the more steep areas but my dog and I managed to make it up and down just fine, with my husband tagging along behind us. The hike to the summit and back down took us about 3 hours.

Overall one of my favorite hikes. Went today and even though it drizzled on the way up and poured on the way down the differing terrain types and amazing views throughout made everything worth it. Be careful stepping up as some parts are heavy with large rock formations.

Went up the blue trail. It was quite rocky with little stones for the first bit - kind of an ankle roller. After that it was great!

Hiked on 9/23 and 10/7. Went Blue up and Orange down both times. Both days were very warm therefore the crowds came out but the trails were not heavily trafficked. Easy hike - "normal" walking pace took us 45 minutes up. Great view!

This is my favorite mt. to hike! Well marked and a great hike, especially in Oct. soo beautiful

Amazing views, not too bad even with some crowd. Parking can get crazy. Be prepared to park on the side of the road and walk an extra .25-.5 miles to get to the trail head if you come past 11.

Suggest taking one trail and up the other down to get the full experience.

nice if you go when there isn't hundreds of people on the trails

Gorgous mountain and lake view on the top! took us about 3 hours. Better take the main trail when going up, and take the brook when return.

I've hiked this 3 times. It's challenging for me but the view at the top is ALWAYS worth it!!

Easy trail for a beginner. Slight incline

This was my last Mt. for the RED-LINE PATCH. Nice trail great views. Way to many people on trail for me. 1000 people on trail today...easy. Not for me.

Great climb, With beautiful views of Winnipesaukee.

As a first time, out of shape hiker, this was incredibly challenging but the view was so worth the pain!!! I'm a chubby hiker hahaha. I recommend but for those who are out of shape bring four bottles of water just in case.