Mount Major and Brook Trail Loop

Mount Major and Brook Trail Loop is a 3.7 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Alton Bay, New Hampshire that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

This is a pretty quick hike with an excellent payoff with views of the bay. I convinced my buddy Derrick to hike this during a full moon. We made it to the top barely using headlamps and set up a couple hammocks. The highlight was watching the sunrise above the lake.

I agree that the views are amazing! You can see the water and forest below almost 360degrees around you because the summit is clear of heavy forest and is mainly smooth rock. I found the toughest part was the trail marked with orange blazes I took on the descent. Although the stone felt rough and I was able to get a good grip, I found it more difficult than expected. Wear strong hiking boots. Bring layers. The top was windy and chilly.

On a clear day it really is an unparalleled view of Lake Wini. It’s a short hike but a great one to shake off the rust from winter. Can definitely get your heart rate going a bit at parts but nothing too intense. Highly suggest for all levels of hikers.

Parking lot fills up fast on nice days, but the views from the top are gorgeous.

outstanding views at the summit. kid and dog friendly!

We started on the blue trail then switch to the yellow trail. We had to cross little streams and lots of mud but it was doable if you stayed on the edges of the trail. The view from the top was spectacular and well worth the climb through woods and snow. We came down the blue trail. It was very icy and very steep. We heard from other hikers the orange trail was easier and not so icy. We started at 11:30 and ended at 4:30 with a 1/2 rest at top. All in all a great day of hiking for a couple of 63 years old.

Parking was full at 9am, lots of large groups, kids, and dogs. Trail was in good condition, standard spring mud and stream crossings. Still some significant snow and ice 4/21, microspikes were very helpful last third of the way up. The summit was sparsely populated compared to summer, and very windy. Windchill brought the temperature down significantly.

Love this trail and view is amazing

good trail, snow made it difficult at few spot in return trail

Great views. Well worth the hike!

Very nice hike, starts off gradual and gets increasingly steeper until a little scrambling near the end. Easily doable by nearly all ages, though, and you start getting views part way up. Great vistas on the summit of the Lakes Region, the White Mountains, and Mount Washington on a clear day. I have heard that it can get extremely crowded on weekends in the summer and fall, so plan your hike accordingly.

A short loop to some pretty views of Alton Bay, squam lake and lake winniepasuke.. The parking lot fills up quickly in the morning. A must do at sunrise.

A very pretty and fairly easy hike. There were a few small scrambles and a lot of forest; it took us ~1.5 hours to do a round trip. There are quite a number of people here (at least in summer), but the views are worth it, and there's a nice spot for a picnic at the very top!

Was beautiful in the “winter wonderland”

Did this hike in October with my little pup. It was pretty quiet on the Tuesday morning but I can imagine that it would be incredibly busy most weekends, especially in the fall. We took the main trail up and the Brook Trail down. Amazing views of Winnipesaukee from the summit!

Brook trail got icier the higher up you went. Stick to the edges and you will be okay. Be sure to bring an extra pair of socks in case you slip and step onto water (like I did.. a few times). Higher up the trail, more boulders and rocks so be mindful - ankle support is key.

Great trail. Moderate effort. Roundtrip took about 3 hrs. We took the brook trail (yellow) up and boulder (orange) trail down. Weather was great. Cool but only a little bit of wind. Make sure you have good boots. Lots of rocks and boulders so you could easily twist an ankle. Also, ice is starting to appear on the brook trail but boulder was dry. Great views of the lake at the top of Mt Major. Will be back to do the range trail.

Brook trail is my least favorite as the brook tends to impede the trail throughout. I recommend blue and orange instead

Starts out easy enough with a bit of rocky, steep, terrain. Wear ankle support. Fantastic views.

Hiked up to the summit with my husband and dog. My husband had some issues with the more steep areas but my dog and I managed to make it up and down just fine, with my husband tagging along behind us. The hike to the summit and back down took us about 3 hours.

Overall one of my favorite hikes. Went today and even though it drizzled on the way up and poured on the way down the differing terrain types and amazing views throughout made everything worth it. Be careful stepping up as some parts are heavy with large rock formations.

Went up the blue trail. It was quite rocky with little stones for the first bit - kind of an ankle roller. After that it was great!

Hiked on 9/23 and 10/7. Went Blue up and Orange down both times. Both days were very warm therefore the crowds came out but the trails were not heavily trafficked. Easy hike - "normal" walking pace took us 45 minutes up. Great view!

This is my favorite mt. to hike! Well marked and a great hike, especially in Oct. soo beautiful

Amazing views, not too bad even with some crowd. Parking can get crazy. Be prepared to park on the side of the road and walk an extra .25-.5 miles to get to the trail head if you come past 11.

Suggest taking one trail and up the other down to get the full experience.

nice if you go when there isn't hundreds of people on the trails

Gorgous mountain and lake view on the top! took us about 3 hours. Better take the main trail when going up, and take the brook when return.

I've hiked this 3 times. It's challenging for me but the view at the top is ALWAYS worth it!!

Easy trail for a beginner. Slight incline

This was my last Mt. for the RED-LINE PATCH. Nice trail great views. Way to many people on trail for me. 1000 people on trail today...easy. Not for me.