Mount Liberty Trail

Mount Liberty Trail is a 9.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Lincoln, New Hampshire that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from January until January. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

old growth

Snowshoed to the crest and then scrambled the rest of the way! This is always a favorite up and back in the Whites!

Very challenging hike...but it all about the PAYOFF!! Liberty spring trail is a long staircase...great work out. This hike convinced me to start hiking with poles...knees were destroyed after it. Didn't have the greatest view from the top with the cloud cover but could see enough to be awed

"Strenuous". YUP. "Worth it". YUP. Started from parking lot at 10am, Liberty Spring Trail is the most difficult and rewarding trail I've hiked! Spent a half hour at summit, beautiful, blue-sky day, cooled off quickly (sweat soaked backpack), had some lunch, headed back down same trail, stepped out of the woods at parking lot at 6pm on the nose. Long, amazing, beautiful day, feeling accomplished and checked off another 4000 footer! :) Bring bananas, and water, stretch, take breaks, and enjoy this trail! Thanks to everyone who reviewed it prior to me...spot on description, and I'm psyched I did it! :) peace all

Worth the climb! the view is unreal and so rewarding I'd do it again

HOLY BLEEP! This hike was legitimately a staircase straight up and very challenging. NOT for a beginner. Can't comment on the views because it was overcast when I went. Check this one off your list and you won't do it again lol

took my 7 year old. took leisurely pace of 11 hours. we loved it.

A good old fashioned butt kicker of a hike.

Sunday, January 15, 2017

Took the spring trail up, OMG! Get ready for some kneel punishment! The trail goes straight up with no switch backs, so solid 2.5 hours of walking uphill, but once you are at the summit just makes everything worth it. Amazing views! Hit up flume too, is not too far away.

Monday, October 10, 2016

This is a great trail. I would call it strenuous with several miles of steady climbing and then descending. The views are nothing short of spectacular. Well trafficked on weekends but mostly with serious hikers.

Highly recommended.

Monday, October 03, 2016

Incredibly difficult trail, but I loved it. Rainy weekend, so the only views were mist, but still worth the hike to the top. Your knees will hate you later.

Sunday, September 11, 2016

One of the most difficult trails I did and it was totally worth it. The view from the top of Mount Liberty is simply superb.

Tuesday, August 23, 2016

Pretty difficult climb but worth it at the top!

Saturday, August 06, 2016

Challenging hike on a rain filled day, but worth the effort just for the experience.

Friday, July 15, 2016

Very strenuous hike from the Flume Gorge Visitor. Center up the springs trail, a lot of uphill, and rocky but the view is like nothing else! So worth it, and I loved the challenge. Hiked up in just over 2 hours at a pretty speedy rate, and down in 2 hours.

Monday, May 25, 2015

Hiked up the Flume Slide trail which was challenging but very fun, then over to the Liberty summit. Really nice views and a fun hike, says 8-9 hours but took me about 6. On the way back to parking I decided to do Pemigewasset too, which was much easier but also a great view.

Friday, October 03, 2014

Amazing Views!

Monday, August 04, 2014

Amazing views. I would recommend this hike to anyone who is looking for a great day hike. I did Mt. Flume first and I would recommend doing that, then over to Liberty. Wonderful day!

Friday, February 21, 2014

Just did this yesterday 2/19/14. A very steady uphill for most of it. I think the snow pack made it easier. 3 hours to summit, 1.5 coming down. Beautiful views, though a bit cloudy and windy and very cold at the summit.

Friday, July 12, 2013

First 4000 footer and what a workout it was. The view was well worth the trip. Talked with at least a dozen people on the trail. Very rocky but moderate incline. Most of the trail was muddy. Large brook about a mile and a half into the trail. There was a small area before the Liberty Springs campsite that wasn't marked with the white blaze, but easy enough to follow. Summit was rather crowded. When it was all said and done, it was worth it.

Monday, April 29, 2013

I visited Mount Liberty last summer via Flume Slide trail - Mount Flume - Franconia Ridge - Mount Liberty - Liberty Spring Trail. I will never do this loop again. We got an early start. So early that we missed the park ranger who was warning people of the rock conditions on flume slide trail. There was mildew on the rocks that made the 3.3 mile hike/climb up extremely strenuous. The trail was not well marked. At times we thought we may have veared off track. The view was spectacular on both flume and liberty summits. If I do go back I would hike the liberty spring trail both ways. One tip I will leave you with is bring rope if you decide to take flume slide.