Mount Lafayette via Old Bridle Path

Mount Lafayette via Old Bridle Path is a 8 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Franconia, New Hampshire that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and walking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Hiked for the first time today. The rating is spot-on--this hike was definitely hard, but well worth it once we reached the top. The views are amazing! We were on the mountain for approx 9 hours, but we stopped at numerous spots to take pictures and enjoy the scenery, hung out at the summit for approx 30 mins, and made stops at the Greenleaf Hut on both the way up and own. There was a lot of water and mud on the trail from melting snow and recent rain. I highly recommend hiking boots and bring poles, if you have them especially for the way down.

Hiked this last Thursday, considerable snow above 3,000 feet still anywhere with forest cover. The falling waters trail was impassable due to the amount of melting snow coming off the mountain. Post holing 2.5 feet ish just off the packed down snow of winter hikers. Exposed areas of the mountain (including the 600ish foot final ascent) are all clear of snow. Beautiful hike and micro spikes highly recommended, but there are many "patches" of ice then rock, so dull ones are best.

Will try again in 2-3 weeks to see if it's fully clear

I'm contemplating going this Friday (3/17/17), but I'm concerned with a recent snow dump the trails will be unbroken I will end up with a lot of postholing... Does anyone know current conditions?

geocaching

I went today (march 11, 2017) the mountain had a fair amount of ice. The snow wasn't too deep, and it was windy and cold. The trail wasn't bad and it has some great views.

I hiked down this trail after going up the Falling Water trail. I chose to do it this way because it was a shorter distance to the top and then a more gradual incline to Lafayette. The three peaks are all awesome and worth seeing. Check out my full trip report along with some things to look out for.

Trail in great shape January 28, 2017.. Like walking on a hard snowy sidewalk all the way up. Turned around at Greenleaf Hut..

Hiked this trail last week. We started at 10am and the hike was gorgeous. As we went, there were parts that were ice and extremely slippery. We were wearing hiking boots but some spikes on our shoes or poles may have helped us! We hiked to the abandoned house and had lunch. Continued hiking to Mt. Lafayette went along the ridge to Mt Haystack. It was windy but nothing too crazy. The views were absolutely worth my mini panic attacks. Instead of descending at Mt. haystack, we missed the trail and hike almost until Mt. Liberty. By the time the sun set, we were still in the forest trying to find our way to the highway. We finally did find our way; the hike turned into a 9 hour hike. We hitchhiked a ride back to our car. Buy a trail map! We thought that it would be marked enough but somehow missed it and almost got ourselves a free night sleeping in the forest!

Hard in the winter but it is definitely worth it

The weather at the top was...challenging...fogged in with 60+ mph winds driving eastward across the ridge, so we unfortunately didn't get the benefit of the views that one could get on a clear day, but this hike was spectacular in all other ways. Challenging, boulder-strewn, awe-inspiring alpine terrain, picturesque waterfalls, and some good technical sections to navigate. We did the loop, and it was a bit more crowded that I perhaps would have cared for, but with the accessibility of the trailhead and overall amazing-ness of the hike, I guess that's to be expected.

This mountain is no joke! Pretty brutal for the non athletically inclined, but worth it for a view unlike any other I've seen! Greenleaf hut is a great resting place to have lunch. This took me 7 hours, including an hour at the hut and a half hour on the summit. Most people were whizzing past me and probably did it in half that time. Great challenge and confidence booster :)

This is a fantastic trail. In my honest opinion, its the best trail east of the rockies (out of all of the trail i've done on the east coast.) It can be quite hard in spots, but it is well worth it. Can not recommend this trail enough!