Mount Lafayette and Franconia Ridge Trail Loop

Mount Lafayette and Franconia Ridge Trail Loop is a 8 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Franconia, New Hampshire that features a waterfall and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

This is a very popular full day hike for good reasons. On a clear day, you are unlikely to find better views in New England. Combine this with strenuous and nerve-wrecking hiking on the 'knife-edge' between Mount Little Haystack, Lincoln, and Lafayette and you have the recipe for a great day out. As a bonus you will ascend three peaks, including the highest mountain outside the Presidential Range - Mount Lafayette.

I was there 2 weeks ago, and it was an absolutely gorgeous hike. Moderately trafficked for it being so cold (10 degrees) but you warmed up fast hiking this loop. Now the trail was completely covered in snow. Which made it even more whimsical of an experience. However, we did not have crampons so there were some points of difficulty that we'd had to overcome...although we still made it so it's not the end of the world if you don't have them, but I highly suggest you bring them if you do, especially since it's probably more icey/snowy by now. Again, amazing hike! You feel so accomplished at the top, one of the most beautiful mountains to hike on the East in my opinion!

We did this hike past Sunday and it was beautiful, snow on the trail but as long as you have spikes you are fine so that you do not. Because they’re definitely is ice doesn’t take away from the beauty though. What a fun.hike ... we took our experienced hiking husky

By far the best views....went up falling waters trail. Challenging.

Not a bad hike for fit people.
I don't recommend it for not fit ... experience is irrelevant here because the trails are well seen and not that dangerous.This hike tests really your cardio, knees, nerves and strength .
Lafayette has the best views ever in NH you can tell and that is what different hikers I met in the mountain told me.
The only thing that holds me from keeping it 5 stars is that the some parts of the trail are blocked by fallen trees from last week storm.. so you have to go around it or over it and you are already tired.

Amazing experience , incredible views, waterfalls birds...
make sure to check the weather before you climb it. It my be frosty on October - November what makes some rocks slippery.
Took me 3.5 hrs up and 3 hrs Down from 8:00am till 3:30 pm almost , 2.5 liters water, 2 chocolate bars...
dogs friendly.
Recommendations:
-bring water/food
- hiking sticks are must .
-good to have partner(s)
- Stick with trail.
-warm clothes in cold time.
This is not any hike,Was so exhausted after it .
Enjoy it and be safe.

The best hike I have done so far, icy at the top and some fallen trees, the views are amazing

Great hike with tremendous views at the top. We took the Falling Waters trail up and Bridle Path down. The trails were easy to follow despite a few fallen trees blocking the way. Will definitely do again!!!

beautiful trail run, up falling waters and down old bridle path. good fun with heavy wind, rain and hail on the summits and through the ridge traverse.

Between the waterfalls the ridge it was an easy to rate this 5 star...awesome. Check out my write up along with some other things to look out for.

Completed on October 31, 2017

Fast moving brooks, with fallen trees on the trail, amazing views and an awesome time...

I hiked the loop on 10/31 and enjoyed it tremendously. The ascent was very challenging physically and my legs were burning at the top because the trail is steep most of the way up. Down was challenging too for the same reason. The ridge is fun and I never felt too exposed even in the high winds above the tree line. The storm Sunday evening knocked down dozens of trees so the trail was completely covered in some sections. I also smelled like Christmas which was nice. The views at the top are spectacular and I’m looking forward to doing the loop again in the spring.