Mount Kearsarge North

Mount Kearsarge North is a 5.8 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Bartlett, New Hampshire that features a great forest setting and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, and snowshoeing and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Great view from the fire tower at the top! Trail was steep in sections. Nice view points along the way with lots of rock face towards the top. Micro spikes were a must!

Moderately hard almost all uphill trail to fire tower on top of mountain with great 360 degree views. Great cardiovascular exercise. Families were doing it with young kids but it is a rigorous hike.

Nice hike. The top mile was icy. I’d recommend spikes. The view from the tower was worth it!

Great hike, fantastic workout. Starts off nice and easy but gets much harder as you go up. Can get slippery in some spots where there are only rocks, but the view from the fire tower is amazing. Don't be fooled when it looks like it opens up, there is still around a mile left! Definitely more strenuous of a hike than we thought it would be.

Great views at the top. This is a challenging hike.
Made it up in 2 hours and down in hour 45.

This is a really good trail. Varies along the way, from woodsy to rocky to even more rocky. Great views all around at the top, including a good view of Washington. It's a very popular trail though. I got there early and was the second to arrive; by the time I left there must have been 30 cars along the side of the road

Solid trail. Lots of awesome dogs. Great views from summit.

The challenge with these "moderate" ratings is that the Lonesome Lake Trail, the Sugarloafs and Mt Kearsarge north are all "moderate." Kearsarge is significantly harder than the other two. Significantly, I tell you, my friends. Some places have Kearsarge listed as moderate side of difficult. There are a few places where the trail evens out and is flat for a minute or two- a welcome break. Other than that, besides a gradual beginning, this hike gets steeper and steeper. It's pretty rocky and rooty, as well. The 360 views at the top are awesome. As I was standing on the top, clouds were blowing through me! The enclosed fire tower is great for windy and cold weather. There is also an outdoor toilet at the top with a great view. I personally wouldn't do this hike if it was wet because going up and down the rock slab would be tough for me, very slippery. I felt that the really good views were at the top. You have a few obstructed by tree views on the way.

It's above moderate I think. It took us 2h15min to get to the top and 1h50min back. It's very steep. It was a cloudy day, so we didnt enjoy ghe view. Unfortunatelly.

This trail should be rated somewhat above moderate because of its steepness. It took us about 3 hours to get to the top. There's also a lot of rock to climb and not much to view on the way up. The view at the top is worth it though!

Great hike, 360 degree views, cool lunch spot at the top, tower is in great shape

The trail is amazing,but I would definitely not consider it a moderate challenge, it was a very steep,long hike with quite a few slippery and sometimes hairy spots. Our family is new at hiking and this was not the best to start with,it took us six hours to go up and down, thankfully we had plenty of water and food and we did it early in the day. And oy were we tired and soar, but we were also incredibly proud we did it. the views are out of this world and the fire tower is very cool at the top!.

Very nice hike. Overall rating of moderate is reasonable, as long as people note the 1000 ft/mile rate of climb for the last 2 miles-- not a great choice for those who are less physically active. I would give five stars but for the fact that scenic vistas are few until you reach the very top. My daughter and I are of moderate fitness and took three hours to reach the top, two hours to descend.

The view at the top is an excellent reward for the effort, a full 360 degree panorama from a well maintained and enclosed watchtower structure, protected from the brisk wind we encountered at the top.

I hope to do this hike again at some point.

Great hike! A little strenuous in places but not too bad, my diet & regular exercise is paying off bigtime here. Definitely not easy for a 48 y/o fat guy, though LOL.

The trail is well marked, as others have said the incline is moderate till about 2 miles up. Looking at the topo map you still have about half your elevation to climb when you reach the ledges, so be prepared. Before too long, though, you'll see the observation tower and within a few minutes you'll be there.

It had rained overnight so the rocks were wet, and the humidity kept them from drying quickly except where they were in direct sun. Vibram-soled shoes should have no problem (mine didn't) but I heard & saw a few people skidding. There's almost always a dry path to either side; when there isn't careful foot placement works. Same as everywhere else, really.

A large puddle in the rocks held hundreds of tadpoles, hopefully the rain keeps up so it doesn't dry out while they're still in there.

The descent took almost as long as the ascent, with almost half the time taken up making it down to the ledge. After that it went pretty smoothly to the trailhead.

I definitely want to snowshoe it this winter! It looks like spikes will be a necessity when you get nearer the summit, where the rocks are too steep for snowshoes.

Good trail, various terrains, not too technical - only on some small path - steady elevation, which is good.
The view is spectacular which makes it a good ratio effort/view.

My son and I did this as a Speed Hike, part run part hike. It was a perfect day, no bugs, nice cooling breeze, temps under 65, visibility many many many miles, beautiful clouds above the summits. Spent more time enjoying the tower and summit than it took to run up! Starting after 2pm allowed us to have the summit to ourselves for about 20 min. This is a great hike to do fast or slow. Make sure you pick a clear day as you do not want to miss the stunning 360 degree view from the fire tower.

Great day hiking with our Red Heeler. Started our hike around 11:30 and finished around 3:30, including breaks and stopping at the summit for lunch. This trail is great for dogs, as we saw many on the way up and down-- ours carried her own food and water and was fine at the end of the hike. We saw many people coming up the trail as we were making our descent, so I would advise starting in the morning to avoid crowds. The fire tower at the summit offered great 360 degree views. It is also the height of blueberry season so we stopped to forage for some snacks (the blueberries are delicious, I would definitely recommend). Overall good hike, would recommend for families and doable for beginner hikers.

A long slog to get there but terrific views from the top and the fire tower.

Great 360 degree views with firetower at summit. Short climb with decent elevation gain and trailhead short distance from North Conway center.