Mount Kearsarge North

Mount Kearsarge North is a 5.7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Bartlett, New Hampshire that features a great forest setting and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, and snowshoeing and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Great hike! It was rated as moderate (*I see now, 24 hours later that it’s rated as hard) and it definitely was challenging. The views from the top are amazing! The ascent was tough- took us about 2 hours and 45 minutes. It had rained a few times, so the descent was slippery, even with poles. All in all it was 6 miles round trip.

Great hike with an amazing view.

Hiked up on July 12 - I am not in great cardiac shape and have some height issues - loved loved this trail. It is all up - but doable if taken slowly. One dog threw up on the middle of the trail- so if you take dogs, please figure that out. Poles helped and there are steep sections. Bugs more towards the trail head, but present. Take water.

It was very hot and humid today but we made it in 4 hours and we stopped to take pictures and had lunch at the top. On the way down we took a small path to the Creek and dipped in the water to cool off. love this hike!

Pretty difficult for a beginner, but the view is worth it, just have to go a slow and steady pace :)

This is a great hike with pano views well worth the effort. Hiking poles are a huge help, although they don't do too much for you on the rock face section. Once you get to the first peek of the awesome view (steep rock area) you are a little more than 1/2 way there. I did come home with several black fly bites on my face, but still a great day. Took us about 2 hrs each way.

Took us 7 hours to hike this up and back i would say this is Alittle bit more experienced trail than just moderate ... this was the first mountain we have ever climbed and it was exhausting haha we didnt know what we were getting into we only brought 6 waters and some gram crackers ... ya didnt work out so well lol! The view was AMAZING ... very rocky very very steep! Very rooty but worth it !

Absolutely breathtaking views at the fire tower. The other reviews are right, it's incredibly steep for most of the way up. If you aren't used to the rigorousness I wouldn't recommend this at first.

Bring water for pets, maybe some food depending on how long it takes you. Our hike legitimately took close to 8 hours but we underestimated how steep it really is.

Would do again though

Steep, well marked trail, varying surfaces with a few technical sections. Beautiful view from the top, well worth the visit!

This is a great hike! I am relatively new to hiking in ME/NH, but this is the best so far. It starts off well giving you time to warm up before sending you over rock faces and some steep sections that’ll get your heart going. The views at the summit are 360 degrees and amazing. Will be back for sure.

Amazing view

This one is a favorite for me. Hiked it many times and is often one of the first of the season. The last trip up was last year and crossed paths with a bear, hoping to avoid a rerun of that tomorrow.

Safe, relatively quick, and well-marked trail. A good burn even for fit hikers. No mud or snow left this year. The black flies and mosquitoes are terrible, and if you have a dog I would bring extra water because there is no access to streams. Other than that, a great hike close to North Conway with gorgeous 360 views from the tower.

Did this one on a lark. A sneaky difficult and fun l, short-ish climb with unexpectedly one of the best views of the entire region. The views at the top are easily 5 star on their own. I started at roughly 10 and was back at the car by 2:30 on a cloudless day

My favorite hike in New England! It always feels like you’re at the top but there’s always more to this trail, I defiantly recommend and make sure to bring extra water and some snacks

I always enjoy this one, So many peaks visable. Not muddy or slippery yesterday.

Lots of fun. Snow and ice has melted enough that it was manageable for a newer hiker. Views are great and worth the hike. We went later In the day and were slipping quite a bit on the wet rock near the top. Plan to take your time coming down.

Wonderful hike. Bring crampons this time of year.

Enjoy!

Very well-marked and beautiful trail. Challenging at some points. Amazing views!! Unfortunately I couldn't quite make it all the way to the firehouse- had a scary ice wall that I just couldn't cross. So close!! Will definitely go back to make it all the way to the top.

By far one of my favorite hikes. Not too challenging amazing 360 views with some shelter on top. Already can’t wait to go again.

The trail itself is nothing special, though it is very well-marked and easy to follow. The view from the summit would make fighting your way through 3 miles of thorns and vines worth it, though. I climbed twice last summer, yesterday was my first winter ascent here and spikes are an absolute necessity. It was icy from bottom to top, with several sections of extremely hard, thick ice that showed evidence of people sliding once you got past the ledges. Full crampons wouldn’t be overkill, I brought mine “just in case” and we saw several hikers wearing them. Make the effort to really stamp your spikes in, and if you use poles drive those in as well.

It was a bluebird sky almost all the way up, but clouds started blowing in when we got near the summit. The views were still amazing, my partner was huffing and puffing his way up after 3 months of forced rest from a bad mountain biking wreck and he thought the views were worth the effort. The temp was maybe 5F, with 20+mph winds, so the 15 minutes or so we spent out of the wind in the fire tower after getting our pics were a nice break before the trip down.

Total time spent on the mountain, including breaks, was 6.5 hours. It was a very enjoyable hike, one I won’t have any problem doing again.

Great view from the fire tower at the top! Trail was steep in sections. Nice view points along the way with lots of rock face towards the top. Micro spikes were a must!

Moderately hard almost all uphill trail to fire tower on top of mountain with great 360 degree views. Great cardiovascular exercise. Families were doing it with young kids but it is a rigorous hike.

Nice hike. The top mile was icy. I’d recommend spikes. The view from the tower was worth it!

Not well marked in a few places and we went a 1/4 mile off the trail when we hit the granite. It was the beginning of November and already getting icy at the top. The hike was steep as others here have said. The views did not disappoint and we loved the fire tower:) I came down some of the steep spots on my butt but all in all we had a great day!

Great hike, fantastic workout. Starts off nice and easy but gets much harder as you go up. Can get slippery in some spots where there are only rocks, but the view from the fire tower is amazing. Don't be fooled when it looks like it opens up, there is still around a mile left! Definitely more strenuous of a hike than we thought it would be.

Great views at the top. This is a challenging hike.
Made it up in 2 hours and down in hour 45.

This is a really good trail. Varies along the way, from woodsy to rocky to even more rocky. Great views all around at the top, including a good view of Washington. It's a very popular trail though. I got there early and was the second to arrive; by the time I left there must have been 30 cars along the side of the road

Solid trail. Lots of awesome dogs. Great views from summit.