Mount Jefferson Trail

Mount Jefferson Trail is a 8.7 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Randolph, New Hampshire that features a great forest setting and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, and backpacking and is best used from June until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Jefferson was one of my most trying hikes to dates! I’ve been hiking since I was in high school and I have bad knees from playing volleyball. I try to do a couple of difficult hikes a summer but Jefferson was the harshest on my joints. But boy was the view worth it, you can see the tops of every mountain and Washington is right in front of you. Warning, there’s numerous false peaks and there were a ton of bugs on the trail during the time I went, which was in the late Spring.

Awesome, butt-kicking hike. Cold weekday morning in October (10/16/17) meant that I did not see another human the entire 7 hours up or down! Perfect! Started to get very icy on the constant boulder scramble 2 miles from the summit. Glad I brought my mini spikes, layers and shell.
The descent is rough on the knees.
Hiking poles a must. Thick layers of freshly fallen leaves last two descending miles hide many foot and ankle hazards.
What a great hike!
I will return.

Friday, October 14, 2016

Tough little hike!! Lots of rocks!!

Saturday, December 26, 2015

Unbelievable elevation gain.

Saturday, October 30, 2010

Lots of rock scrambling and steep climbing. Very demanding and strenuous. Plan to hike the Jefferson Mountain once a year.

Friday, July 30, 2010

Wonderful. Above tree line a lot so bring appropriate shell and maybe fleece vest just in case. Would do this one again and again.

Sunday, November 27, 2016