Mount Jackson via Webster Cliffs Loop

Mount Jackson via Webster Cliffs Loop is a 10.7 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Carroll, New Hampshire that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

scenic driving

beach

historic site

An alternate way up to Mount Webster and Mount Jackson taking in the wonderful views of Crawford Notch. Park at the Crawford Depot and head south down the Crawford Notch Road to the Willey House. This allows for excellent views of the Webster ridge, 2,500' above! Enter woods at Willey Pond Trail and work your way over to the Webster Cliff Trail via Sam Willey. Walk the Webster ridge to Webster summit with many vista opportunities of the Notch. Continue over to Mt Jackson then descend via the Webster-Jackson Trail back to the parking area.

The original rating for this trail was moderate, and unfortunately misleading. We brought our good friends here for a backpacking trip the weekend after the solstice in June. We knew it would rain and involved steep elevation but were not expecting the rock scrambles and rockiness of the regular trail on the ascent and descent, made harder by the rain. We camped .5 miles in after hiking the 3 miles on 302 then were planning to camp on the other side of Mt Jackson for the night—however we didn’t make good time on the ascent and got caught in the rain on the ridge part of the trail which dampened spirits (and clothes). We decided to hike through the night and go to a nearby hotel rather than camp out another night. It took us 12.5 hours to hike that 7 mile stretch (with overnight packs) in the rain (7.5 hours of rain) and dark (4 hours in the dark with low visibility due to mist). Overall a beautiful hike but be prepared for it to be HARD!!

We started this trail at Crawford Notch and went up to Jackson, back to Webster, and down from there along the AT, coming out where the AT crosses US 302. The views were gorgeous from Jackson, Webster, and the cliffs/views along the ridge down from Webster. I would say, though, that this trail was VERY difficult for me. I wasn't prepared for the amount of scrambling near the ridges and just general scrambling along the trail - this is a VERY rocky trail. I'm no mountain goat, and always have to take those areas slowly. This trail took us 7.5 hours and we only did 7 miles! I can handle the distance and elevation, but all the big steps and rocks did me in. My companion says that this is pretty typical of the White Mountains, so that's good to know.

I decided to take in the Webster ridge on my way up #43 Mt. Jackson. I parked at the Crawford Depot and walked the 3 miles down to the Willey House. That was better than it sounds since you can take in the entire ridge and see what you're about to trek. I really nice trail up to the Webster Cliffs Trail, this is the AT. The first ledge blew my mind, 180 degree views of the stunning Crawford Notch! Continued along the ridge with similar views along the way. Ducked into the woods again to get over to Mt Jackson then met 2 Prez Traverse folks on the way down and out. This is an A++ route and hike.