Mount Jackson Trail

Mount Jackson Trail is a 5.6 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Twin Mountain, New Hampshire that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, nature trips, and backpacking and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Did the hike on a rainy day, very slippery. My bernese mt dog handled her self but afraid other dogs might not enjoy it as much.

Nice hike! Lots of rocks and roots. Difficult, but worth the view on top!

I did this hike on July 28th with my wife, daughter (3 years old) and 2 dogs. Pretty muddy due to rain the previous night, but the trails are marked well and an amazing view at the top! The scramble at the top is worth the work! overall a great hike!!

As others have noted, this is actually a 5.2 mile round-trip, not 4.4. It's a small difference, but worth correcting.

Regardless of the distance, it's a very good trail. It's fairly short but decently steep and technical. It was a warm and humid day today, but the trail is largely very shaded, so it wasn't overly hot, despite temperatures in the high 70s or low 80s. Perhaps the thing most worth noting is the top of the trail, which does indeed have quite a scramble. It's very do-able, just something to be aware of. Once you get up, there are tremendous 360 degree views, which are well worth the effort.

Be sure not to miss the waterfall just off the Webster-Jackson split, 1.2 miles in. We found it on the way back, and it was a great way to cool off near the end of the hike. The water was more than a little frigid, but it's a pretty little and a lovely little pool. It's definitely worth the detour.

Very rocky and lots of roots. The view at the top is well worth the climb though!

This hike has it all, including class IV scrambling near the top to finish off the hike before the spectacular views of Crawford Notch, Mt. Pierce and Mt. Washington at the top. Did this hike with my wife, 3 kids (11, 8, 6) and dog.

From the perspective of a flatlander Bostonian who hasn't done much hiking, this is NOT a moderate level trail. I've hiked Monadnock, of which every trail is rated hard by this app, and this route makes those look like Boston's tiny Blue Hills in comparison. I would definitely rate this trail as hard if I could. The experience, though, was awesome. The app says it's a 4.4 mile route, but it's really 5.2 miles, 2.6 each way. It's a challenging and very rocky hike, but the views are absolutely amazing. The wind at the summit is refreshing, along with a couple of fast and frigid streams running along the path. This hike is a rock-filled grind, but it's worth it in my opinion. Again, the views from the top are breathtaking. Also, bring some trail mix and take out some peanuts or raisins at the summit to feed its resident Gray Jays, which will land on your hand and take the food. For me, that was the most memorable part of this hike.

My husband and I hiked this on our honeymoon the Summer of 2017 and really enjoyed it. Well marked trail and beautiful views. Toward summit there’s a few pretty steep parts that made me a little nervous but we managed just fine. It was my first 4000 footer and now I’m forever hooked on climbing bigger mountains - the reward on summit is well worth the climb! Happy trails!

this was my first 4,000 footer! very well marked and well maintained trail. I packed spikes and winter attire but all the snow/ice was melted and it was warm with a breeze at the top! the view from the summit was worth every effort. be warned that there is a steep rocky scramble to get to the summit that may be hard for small children and pets. (our medium sized pup had no problem but she is very nimble) I think this was the perfect 4K to start our journey! the grey jays will land on your hand!

*edit - the entire journey is 5.2 miles, 2.6 each way - not 4.4 like it says above*

did this with my sister a year back and loved it. one of my first 4k and the grey Jay's at the top made it all the more enjoyable! (the ate the m&m's out of my trail mix! oops! hahah they know what they like I guess ha!!)
my first big rock slab and looking back I would do so it again. overall a easy hike with a amazing view. it's a small 4k xo beginner peeps would enjoy this!

This time of year this is absolutely an advanced hike. It is steep for almost the entirety and the packed snow and ice gives way regularly. There is an area where you have to cross over a downed tree to get across the engorged river cascade and plenty of areas where you can hear the water running under your feet. Bring traction and remember to test each step, because you might fall through into water! The payoff though...absolutely DIVINE!! You can see outrageously far in every direction from the summit. Maybe I'll save this one for the summer in the future!!

I didn’t start this one to early afternoon so i knew i had to move if i didn’t want this to be a full night decent, but when i go to the top it was one of the most amazing sunsets i’ve ever seen, definitely worth the wait if you don’t mind hiking down in the dark!

Pretty icy. A beautiful hike. After moving from AZ this was quite a change for me. Trust in the God of Crampons (lol) and keep going. It was 30mph winds on the peak and quite cold. Make sure you watch your footing when you hit the rocks near the summit. Those are slippery, else this was a straightforward hike and it's impossible to stray off path.

Great hike if you're new to winter hiking (or a veteran). Used microspikes the whole way up and down as well as hiking poles for added balance. Well labeled trail, impossible to get off track. Persistently back and forth between steep and moderate. Summit was extremely windy but great views. Top is quite icy, both me and my partner slipped and fell while climbing down from the summit but not a big deal. Grey Jay birds are prominent here and love to eat from your hand!

Amazing winter hike! We used microspikes the whole way, carrying snowshoes. Temps were relatively balmy (read: teens) below treeline. Once we were exposed, we made a quick dash for the summit and returned back to trees ASAP. Winds were estimated at a -20 windchill up there. Absolutely beautiful!

Spectacular view of the Presidentials. Heavy ice for the last 1/2 mile

Beautiful trail and gorgeous views at the top. Significant ice and snow on trail, especially the second half. We were very glad to have our stabilicers. Our dog could not make it the last tenth of a mile because of the steep icy slopes but did great on the rest of the trail. Can’t wait to hike this trail again sometime!

good hike. 3-4 hours

Great hike today. 3-4 inches snow pack. A little icy on top. Recommend micro spikes. Trail clearly marked. View from top is awesome. Took took 1 1/2 hr to get down as there were some slippery spots. Too a little over 2 to summit.

Good Hike. Icy in November. Our dogs couldn't make it to the summit, but they are larger and a bit clumsy. This was mainly due to the ice. Great views at the summit! Worth it. Definitely not an easy hike, but it was manageable.

Yet another spectacular White Mountain, Presidential hike. Last hiked it on September 23, 2000. Parked on 302 and took Webster-Jackson Trail from Crawford Notch to Mount Jackson, then Webster Cliff Trail to Mount Webster, and finished the loop with Webster-Jackson Trail to bottom. Drove to parking lot across from sign that reads, “Mt. Washington State Park via Cog Railway 4 miles.” Trailhead for Webster-Jackson Trail located on East side of Route 302 between above-mentioned sign and another sign that reads, “AMC Crawford Notch Info 1000 feet Seasonal.” Watch for a bleached wooden post about 6 feet high with a small sign having no message on it. Started hike at 12:30 p.m. on Webster-Jackson Trail and reached the peak of Mt. Jackson at 1:45 p.m. View from top excellent. Took Webster Cliff Trail from peak of Mt. Jackson over to Mt. Webster and arrived on peak of Mt. Webster at 2:30 p.m. Peak was .1 miles beyond junction between Webster-Jackon Trail and Webster Cliff Trail. Peak of Mt. Webster is spectacular, cliffs. View from cliffs of Route 302 area. Returned .1 miles to junction and took Webster-Jackson Trail from top of Mt. Webster towards Silver Cascades arrow on sign. Beautiful waterfall and pool on way down Webster-Jackson Trail before it meets with junction of Webster-Jackson TraiI took on the way up. Reached junction to repeat trail to the road at 3:15 p.m. Reached Route 302 at 3:50 p.m.

I did this hike today. The scrambling near the top was a bit difficult for me. I then went over to mount Webster and came down that way. definitely a hard decent for my knees..but so glad I went, views absolutely amazing!

Interesting trail with stream crossing, large rocks throughout and technical rock climbing for a good section at the top. Dogs needed a boost up several steep rock areas. Not to be taken lightly.

Completed this hike on 9/01/2017. The day started out quite cold at the base and was VERY windy at the summit. Some areas are a bit of a workout as expected with a Presidential Range 4k. Summit views are great Expected to descend via Webster Cliff however I was a bit under the weather that day and chose cut the day short and go back out the way I came.

Challenging for my first 4000 footer. I'm glad I did it. The top is a scramble Up rocks. Hard scramble for the dogs, we had to pick them up at times. Our dogs are bigger and younger, but they made it!! 40 degrees at the top with 40 mph wind gusts so we didn't stay long. The views were spectacular! Panoramic. The venture down was rocky, rooty, and steep. Watch your step.

Now I know I can do the other 47!

Wednesday, August 16, 2017

Fairly easy 4K footer. Took the Webster-Jackson Trail up to the summit, which is quite exposed (and therefore very windy/chilly). On the way down, we opted to add a little mileage by taking the Webster Cliff Trail to the Mizpah Cutoff and Crawford Path. Easier descent, and you'll pass right by the Mizpah Spring Hut, which is a great place to stop and have lunch.

Thursday, August 03, 2017

Great hike, the bog near the summit is beautiful. The trail crew people are fun. Awesome views. It stormed on our way down, the rocks were slippery and it was muddy.

Monday, July 31, 2017

nice scenic trail and would recommend. a few lookouts and nice 360 view at top. a little rock climbing at top so be prepared.

Tuesday, July 18, 2017

A wonderfully challenging hike for my first 4,000 footer! Lots of rock scrambling. The views from the top were absolutely stunning and having options for our decent made it all the more adventurous and inspiring. We ended up taking Webster Cliff to the Mizpah Cutoff and heading down Crawford Path to get back to Rt 302. If you're feeling saucy, hang a right up Crawford Path and bag Mt. Pierce while you're at it before heading back down. :) It would add 1.6 additional miles to be overall hike.

Sunday, July 16, 2017

Great hike for all levels! Not too steep and a moderate rise in elevation throughout the hike. Beware of wet conditions.