Mount Jackson Trail

Mount Jackson Trail is a 4.4 mile out and back trail located near Twin Mountain, New Hampshire that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

rock climbing

I didn’t start this one to early afternoon so i knew i had to move if i didn’t want this to be a full night decent, but when i go to the top it was one of the most amazing sunsets i’ve ever seen, definitely worth the wait if you don’t mind hiking down in the dark!

Pretty icy. A beautiful hike. After moving from AZ this was quite a change for me. Trust in the God of Crampons (lol) and keep going. It was 30mph winds on the peak and quite cold. Make sure you watch your footing when you hit the rocks near the summit. Those are slippery, else this was a straightforward hike and it's impossible to stray off path.

Great hike if you're new to winter hiking (or a veteran). Used microspikes the whole way up and down as well as hiking poles for added balance. Well labeled trail, impossible to get off track. Persistently back and forth between steep and moderate. Summit was extremely windy but great views. Top is quite icy, both me and my partner slipped and fell while climbing down from the summit but not a big deal. Grey Jay birds are prominent here and love to eat from your hand!

Amazing winter hike! We used microspikes the whole way, carrying snowshoes. Temps were relatively balmy (read: teens) below treeline. Once we were exposed, we made a quick dash for the summit and returned back to trees ASAP. Winds were estimated at a -20 windchill up there. Absolutely beautiful!

Spectacular view of the Presidentials. Heavy ice for the last 1/2 mile

Beautiful trail and gorgeous views at the top. Significant ice and snow on trail, especially the second half. We were very glad to have our stabilicers. Our dog could not make it the last tenth of a mile because of the steep icy slopes but did great on the rest of the trail. Can’t wait to hike this trail again sometime!

good hike. 3-4 hours

Great hike today. 3-4 inches snow pack. A little icy on top. Recommend micro spikes. Trail clearly marked. View from top is awesome. Took took 1 1/2 hr to get down as there were some slippery spots. Too a little over 2 to summit.

Good Hike. Icy in November. Our dogs couldn't make it to the summit, but they are larger and a bit clumsy. This was mainly due to the ice. Great views at the summit! Worth it. Definitely not an easy hike, but it was manageable.

Yet another spectacular White Mountain, Presidential hike. Last hiked it on September 23, 2000. Parked on 302 and took Webster-Jackson Trail from Crawford Notch to Mount Jackson, then Webster Cliff Trail to Mount Webster, and finished the loop with Webster-Jackson Trail to bottom. Drove to parking lot across from sign that reads, “Mt. Washington State Park via Cog Railway 4 miles.” Trailhead for Webster-Jackson Trail located on East side of Route 302 between above-mentioned sign and another sign that reads, “AMC Crawford Notch Info 1000 feet Seasonal.” Watch for a bleached wooden post about 6 feet high with a small sign having no message on it. Started hike at 12:30 p.m. on Webster-Jackson Trail and reached the peak of Mt. Jackson at 1:45 p.m. View from top excellent. Took Webster Cliff Trail from peak of Mt. Jackson over to Mt. Webster and arrived on peak of Mt. Webster at 2:30 p.m. Peak was .1 miles beyond junction between Webster-Jackon Trail and Webster Cliff Trail. Peak of Mt. Webster is spectacular, cliffs. View from cliffs of Route 302 area. Returned .1 miles to junction and took Webster-Jackson Trail from top of Mt. Webster towards Silver Cascades arrow on sign. Beautiful waterfall and pool on way down Webster-Jackson Trail before it meets with junction of Webster-Jackson TraiI took on the way up. Reached junction to repeat trail to the road at 3:15 p.m. Reached Route 302 at 3:50 p.m.

I did this hike today. The scrambling near the top was a bit difficult for me. I then went over to mount Webster and came down that way. definitely a hard decent for my knees..but so glad I went, views absolutely amazing!

Interesting trail with stream crossing, large rocks throughout and technical rock climbing for a good section at the top. Dogs needed a boost up several steep rock areas. Not to be taken lightly.

Completed this hike on 9/01/2017. The day started out quite cold at the base and was VERY windy at the summit. Some areas are a bit of a workout as expected with a Presidential Range 4k. Summit views are great Expected to descend via Webster Cliff however I was a bit under the weather that day and chose cut the day short and go back out the way I came.

Challenging for my first 4000 footer. I'm glad I did it. The top is a scramble Up rocks. Hard scramble for the dogs, we had to pick them up at times. Our dogs are bigger and younger, but they made it!! 40 degrees at the top with 40 mph wind gusts so we didn't stay long. The views were spectacular! Panoramic. The venture down was rocky, rooty, and steep. Watch your step.

Now I know I can do the other 47!

Fairly easy 4K footer. Took the Webster-Jackson Trail up to the summit, which is quite exposed (and therefore very windy/chilly). On the way down, we opted to add a little mileage by taking the Webster Cliff Trail to the Mizpah Cutoff and Crawford Path. Easier descent, and you'll pass right by the Mizpah Spring Hut, which is a great place to stop and have lunch.

Great hike, the bog near the summit is beautiful. The trail crew people are fun. Awesome views. It stormed on our way down, the rocks were slippery and it was muddy.

nice scenic trail and would recommend. a few lookouts and nice 360 view at top. a little rock climbing at top so be prepared.

A wonderfully challenging hike for my first 4,000 footer! Lots of rock scrambling. The views from the top were absolutely stunning and having options for our decent made it all the more adventurous and inspiring. We ended up taking Webster Cliff to the Mizpah Cutoff and heading down Crawford Path to get back to Rt 302. If you're feeling saucy, hang a right up Crawford Path and bag Mt. Pierce while you're at it before heading back down. :) It would add 1.6 additional miles to be overall hike.

Great hike for all levels! Not too steep and a moderate rise in elevation throughout the hike. Beware of wet conditions.

Great hike, but the trail was so wet and muddy due to the rain making it more difficult and scary where you have to scramble up rocks. The trail can get pretty steep in some sections and it's all uphill, but it's so green and pretty!....and waterfalls and river crossings are always fun!

What a hike! It was in the 60s lower 70s and had a lot of clouds! Honestly the weather made it cool and no rain, the trail was still very slippery though. Lots of little waterfalls, well marked with blue. Towards the top was extremely steep with rock scrambles but when I got to the top it was well worth this scary experience. Gorgeous views for miles from every angle! Definitely one of the most gorgeous mountains. Would not recommend in bad weather, and if you are scared of physically climbing up to the summit although doable.

Sunday, November 20, 2016

Ascended Webster to Jackson. Wonderful hike. First mile is moderate/easy the last 1.5 mile to Webster summit is moderate/slightly hard. Right at the split of Jackson and Webster there is a BEAUTIFUL waterfall. My new favorite hike in NH now! The walk from Webster to Jackson is very nice easy stroll but once you get close you have to do some crawling/climbing. So nice and quiet. The trail was decently wet so at least in the fall I highly recommend boots that are at least slightly water resistant.

Tuesday, November 08, 2016

Loved this hike!! Considering I did this the day after mount chocorua, It was not difficult,I think moderate is fair. there was a light amount of snow, a good balance of ups and downs, and the scrambling was lots of fun. I had to put my spikes on 100-150ft before the summit. I will definitely do this hike again!

Thursday, September 22, 2016

Great trail! Plenty of ups and downs for the first half. Then it turns into just up with the last bit getting pretty steep. Lots of rocks so I would not do this trail in bad weather. Could get slippery, especially scrambling over the rock at the top. Beautiful 360 degree views at the top. Will do this again when I am not pressed for time and can do the whole loop.

Tuesday, July 26, 2016

This was a great vista at the top w stunning views. The hike had good cover but was pretty wet post rain. A bit more technical than we expected w lots of rocks to climb over. The trip was 2.6 each way.

Monday, July 04, 2016

Amazing! Very beautiful trail with large rocks, lots of moss, a lot of streams and some fun scrambling.

Sunday, June 26, 2016

Excellent, excellent trail! This was my first 4,000 footer, and it was brilliant. I'd definitely consider this trail "moderate", and caution the casual hiker to it's more difficult parts. There are unexpected rock scrambles that are a bit more like rock climbing, but are SO. MUCH. FUN. They're a challenge that allows you to push yourself, but not beyond your ability or comfort zone. And the view at the top, oh yes, so worth it.

We did this in about two hours each way, both of us pretty fit, and a decent pace with only a couple of breaks.

We had a little trouble finding the trail head, so if you're looking for it, it's best to park at a little pull off area near the Crawford Notch Depot. Across the road is the trail head, well hidden.

Definitely do this trail. And then don't be surprised if it becomes your favourite.

Friday, October 30, 2015

This was my first NH four thousand footer, can't wait to hike another one.

Friday, August 22, 2014

This was my first NH four thousand footer, and I hiked it with a friend in late August 2014. Although the climb up was sustained and moderately steep, with a section toward the top with some rock scrambling, the view from the top was utterly spectacular, with stunning 360 degree views of Mt. Webster, Mt. Pierce and the rest of the Presidentials, including the looming Mt. Washington. My friend and I ate lunch on the summit, getting a visit from the gray jays soon after we took out our food. This made for a memorable hike that I loved and will not soon forget.