Mount Israel Trail

Mount Israel Trail is a 4 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Center Sandwich, New Hampshire that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

it was rainy so had no view at the top, but the woods were absolutely beautiful to hike through. I would definitely do this one again.

Nice hike. Some erosion damage on the trail and some jerk flattened the cairn at the top. Cairn fixed and hope the jerk that took it apart gets poison ivy in some horrible places. The views were awe inspiring and could not have been better weather! Our kids handled it without issue.

Hiked with my 10 and 6 year old.

This is a pretty straight forward hike with a moderate and steady incline. I've read other reviews that make it seem more difficult than I found it. There are no scrambles or steep sections and very little bare rock. Also the peak and ridge line are forested so you have no real time above tree line. There are several trees down through out the trail all but one were easily climbed over and the largest one was easy to get around. There are also a couple water crossing within the first .75 of a mile but by mid July the were all dry.

The first 1.5 miles are all forested and this is where you will do almost all the elevation gain. The first lookout on the south side of the mountain give a small but nice view of Squam lake and a small view of Winnipsaukee. After that you you have a short bit of incline before you reach the false peak. The view here is nice but you have a little less than a half mile more to the actual peak which is marked with a cairn. The actual peak has a 180 view looking north at the Sandwich range and Chocorua. I plan on returning in the winter.

There is a large parking area in front of a white house but did not see signs for any entrance fees. The trail head starts to the left of this house.

We only ran into 4 or 5 other groups on the way up and down. It mostly felt like we had the entire trail to ourselves

This would be a good half a day hike and I would recommend it for beginners. There is nothing too difficult or technical.

A good hike with a decent view.

Great trail, small water crossings. Spectacular views. Trial was not hard, you do need your microspikes towards the top for traction. There are some very slippery spots. The false summit has great views, but the true summit is spectacular. We did see a young bear, but he ran off as soon as he heard us.

Really nice hike. Fairly rigorous but definitely a shorter hike for the area. The summit offers great views to the west.
There was a lot of snow and ice the last third of the way up. I’m looking forward to doing this again in the summer.

A bit muddy and the top 1/3 would be easier with spikes. Otherwise, nice hike. Saw coyote or wolf tracks at the top and bear tracks on the way down! Views were quite good.

Nice trail, no one on it. Starts off as hard wood slopes and at top Spruce and a lot of rocky ledges. Trail was icy today, you need traction. Moose tracks at very top.

Pretty easy hike. Not a very big summit but has exceptional views

This is NOT kid friendly- very steep and extremely rocky on last part. My friends with kids had to stop middle hike and go back.... was wet and slippery - fell twice
However beautiful and stunning!!!

Myself and Rosa started kinda late morning. Nice solid path with many rest areas. We ran into picnic sites and the best part was at the bottom near the parking lot after we finished...there is a small river where we soaked our tired feet...super soothing.

Fun hike

Saturday, August 12, 2017

It is a great trail that is nicely marked!
enjoyed the vews from on top and the brook on the way up!

Sunday, July 30, 2017

Hiked this with our dog, a 6yo, and a 9yo- it was definitely challenging but the view from the top was spectacular! There are two false peaks, so be sure to keep going to the third where you find the cairn.

Wednesday, February 08, 2017

Great winter hike with the dog. Trail was marked well. You will cover a lot of elevation in a short period of time.

Saturday, October 01, 2016

Great easy hike, make sure you go to the second peak, as we almost stopped at the first thinking we were at the top. We came up from the mead base conservation Center.

Tuesday, September 13, 2016

Fantastic. Steady up the whole way and really beautiful.

Sunday, August 28, 2016

excellent hike with amazing views

Thursday, August 18, 2016

Good intermediate level hike. Rocky and rooty paths, if it was wet (but wasn't today) may be very slippery. All-trails app says it is a 3 mile hike but a sign at the beginning if the hike says it is 4 miles.

Thursday, August 11, 2016

Moderate is a good label for this trail. Enjoyed it with my two sons (12 and 13) and my father (almost 70). It's a steady climb the whole way but is not overwhelming. It was a hot and humid day at the base but the trail was shaded the whole way with a beautiful breeze and gorgeous views at the summit. Don't get tricked by the false summit, keep hiking to the summit marker and you'll be rewarded with some beautiful mountain and lake views. It is longer than 3 miles, as others have stated already- the trail marker at the base says 2 miles to the summit.

Monday, August 01, 2016

A good hike, not too difficult and good views mid-way and at the top.

Friday, July 15, 2016

Beautifully built and maintained.

Wednesday, July 13, 2016

Easy trail with great views at the top. Perfect family hike. It was a super hot muggy day and the bugs were pretty unforgiving. This would be a great spring hike...lots of potential for small waterfalls along the trail.

Sunday, July 10, 2016

Intense hike for a family. We saw a bear cross our path! Very few bugs. Well maintained.

Monday, May 30, 2016

Incredible day for a hike. This is a very moderate hike. There are no tricky Boulder climbs or edge spots. Great trail to top and the views were stunning. We went up Wentworth and took Guinea Pond trail down which is not recommended. We hiked it back up and continued down Wentworth. This is strictly an in and out hike. Time frame is probably about 2.5-3 hours for in and out depending on speed. Hard to gauge time because we thru in the extra 3.5 miles going up and down Guinea which added to our day.

Sunday, March 20, 2016

Was my first hike this spring , so a bit out of shape but so glad I did it. Steep in some parts . Took the Wentworth Trail and it was 3 miles to the top. This trail says 3 miles out and back but it's really 6 out and back! Still icy in spots but well worth the view! May try another way up next time!

Sunday, August 16, 2015

This turned out to be a fun, yet challenging hike. I did it with two friends while we were vacationing and looking for a quick day hike. This took us about three hours, and we are very inexperienced hikers. We did the Wentworth trail and it proved to be a lot steeper than we expected. It is basically a straight up hike the whole way to the outlook. The outlook provides fantastic views. It's not too much further from the outlook to the false summit. We thought we had reached the top so we quickly ate, but then realized there was a bit further to go. We summited, but had to quickly snap pictures and begin out descent. There were thunderstorms quickly moving in. Going down proved to be quite the challenge. It is basically a climb all the way down, and for those out of shape, and prove to be strenuous on the knees. The trail overall was well marked, but there were two or three points when we weren't entirely sure which fork to take. We were able to figure it out with minimal difficulty though.

Friday, July 03, 2015

I was looking for a trail to run but this was quite difficult. I did a little running but it was too steep and very wet from rain the day before. I fell twice and ended with soaking wet feet. I wondered a few times if I somehow got off the trail but then I'd come across a yellow mark or "stairs" that let me know I was still on the right path. There was SO much water. I'm definitely not an experienced hiker but I've been running for about 4 years. That meant nothing. This trail totally kicked my butt. I feel bad ass for actually going up to the first outlook. I didn't go all the way up but must have been close. It was about 4 miles for me and took a couple hours. It was a great challenging trail overall.

Saturday, June 13, 2015

Great view of other great peaks from the summit. Easy and casual.

Monday, October 06, 2014

Great Sunday day hike, especially in 1st week of October. I started it at 1015 am and reached summit at about 1130. Pretty rugged terrain. Lots of roots, stumps, and rocks that where we'll hidden under some freshly shed leaves.
I did the Wentworth trail on the way up and did the Mead trail to Guinea pond which wasn't really worth it, but I will head to black mountain pond next time. In all hike took me and the pups about 5hrs.
If you have dogs and limited chore Sundays than this is a great hike for you! Mick, Gilley and I will be back!
Oh and grab a beer and a bite at the corner house on the way out!