Mount Isolation via Glen Boulder Trail

Mount Isolation via Glen Boulder Trail is a 11.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Gorham, New Hampshire that features a waterfall. The trail is rated as difficult and primarily used for hiking. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

I took Boott Spur Trail up from the Joe Dodge Lodge where I stayed the night before. A really nice option, you get the room, dinner & breakfast then an early start! The Boott Spur is awesome at 5500 feet too, you can see over to Washington easily, if the Mountain Gods bless you with clear skies! You can also see into Tuckerman's Ravine on the way up. I then took Davis Path down into the juicy mud (it rained hard the day before) before summiting Isolation. I returned up Davis then took the right onto Glen Boulder for the descent. So many pluses: it's a bit longer compared to the popular out/back option, you get more elevation gain, you get up on the shoulder of Mt. Wash., you see Glen Boulder AND Split Rock, and you get to take the Direttissima trail back to Pinkham Lodge (a huge treat!). A really great way to make your Isolation peakbag a really special trek...just do it!

This mountain left me hurting! An hour into it I had pouring rain and high winds! I trudged along but it was definitely difficult! Average hike time stated 8 hours and 35 minutes. I made it out and back in 8 hours even. Very slippery if the trail is wet! A great view from Glen Boulder!

Definitely strenuous and the black flies were vicious after 11am

What they don’t tell you about Isolation is that you have to scale 5,000ft up Washington and then back down 1.6 miles to get there. No complaints, though. A new favorite, huge views. If you want to stand at 5,500ft, it’s tempting to go the extra .6 to where the Boott Spur trail intersects, it’s worth it. I ended up making a loop by descending Boott Spur, which made for a very long hike including the diretissma back to the trailhead. Almost a 3-hour descent for the fittest hikers if you go this way. Black flies are relentless. It’s insane to look at the Washington summit so close and almost level, worth every step.

This was a beautiful hike that we did. We hiked up via the Boott Spur and made our way down to Mount Isolation. We ended up doing a traverse out through the Rocky Branch Trail. Overall this was a good hike with good views.

Tuesday, July 18, 2017

This hike was amazing. It is definitely challenging however worth every step.

Sunday, July 30, 2017