Mount Height to Carter Dome to North Carter Loop

Mount Height to Carter Dome to North Carter Loop is a 12.9 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Greens, New Hampshire that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Includes trail info for Middle and South Carter Summits. If traveling up 19 Mile Brook Trail to Carter Dome Trail to Carter-Moriah Trail, it is an easier grade than going up the Imp Trail to Carter-Moriah Trail and thus can be summited faster. Going up the first route is easier and unique from other New England trails due to the use of switch backs (zig zagged trails that work up the face of a mountain reducing a steep climb rather than a straight trail up).

WARNING THIS IS NOT A LOOP THERE IS NO TRAIL CONNECTING IMP TRAIL TO NINETEEN MILE BROOK TRAIL

Damage from the storm on these trails was pretty rough.

Nineteen Mile Brook - fairly manageable, more branches than anything. A few downed trees that were easy to go over.

Carter Dome Trail - in the beginning wasn't terrible then you start going through the switchbacks and thats where it got tricky. Toward the last few there were so many downed trees you couldn't easily climb over, we ended up going up the trail and around for most of them. The ground was very soft and we were fighting it pretty hard sinking into the ground as we maneuvered around these downed trees.

Carter-Moriah Trail(Zeta Pass) - This in my opinion was a bit worse as it was almost consistent blowdowns. Particularly Between the start through to South Carter. Even the rock cairn at South Carter had a tree on it. The trail between South and Middle Carter was way more manageable compared to the hell we dealt with getting to South Carter. We even saw a guy at South Carter who had a pretty decent scratch on his head which he claimed he got from a tree on the way from Carter Dome. After Middle Carter we started to encounter more black ice than blowdowns. Bridges were very slick.

North Carter Trail - I'm sure this trail is always like this but this was our 1st time on this trail series but you are essentially walking in a creek bed the entire time. The water level seemed high but manageable just more annoying between that and how narrow the trail is. A few downed trees towards the bottom, some you could go over and a few we decided to go around as we couldn't see how much water was on the other side.

Imp Trail - similar to nineteen mile brook more branches than anything, same deal with the brook etc. Towards the bottom of the trail it was really deep leaves luckily dry.

We must've been using an old trail from All Trails but it essentially took us down a non existent trail so we pretty much bushwhacked back to nineteen mile which was a bit anxiety ridden as we weren't expecting that and the sun was going down, lucky we had head lamps but fortunately got back to our car before sundown.

Because of all the blowdowns and detours the trail took us way longer than expected. I'm sure in decent conditions (pre-storm) it wouldn't have been so rough or long. I wouldn't recommend you tackling this series unless you are ready to be crawling under trees or going off trail around them etc. We knew there were going to be blowdowns but it was sad to see the extent of damage on these particular trails.

This is a long hike, about 13 miles. Does not have the best views for such a long hike, I would say Mt. Height has the best view, 360 degree view. And North Carter has one that's okay. The one thing I didn't like about this hike was the Imp trail, gets really narrow towards the top and very rocky, I would suggest going up that trail and not down it.

I did this trek yesterday. My phone died but so I only was able to record to Mid Carter and missed out on some great photo opps. It took me 9hrs to complete the loop. Pulled a muscle walking on the snow between Height and the Dome which slowed things down considerably. So it could defiantly be done more efficiently. Bagged three 4ks which is a plus. Best views off of Mt Height. 360 there and Just before North Carter theirs an opening where it shows a magnificent view of the mountains. The three 4ks are limited views so even if your not doing the full loop take the detours to Height and North! Overall about 13.5 mile trek.

Sunday, December 11, 2016