Mount Hale via Hale Brook Trail

Mount Hale via Hale Brook Trail is a 4.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Bethlehem, New Hampshire that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

This peak has a large pile of rocks at the top clearly marking the summit. The top of this peak has experienced some tree growth which unfortunately has blocked a lot of the great views. Perhaps if you climb on top of the massive pile of rocks that mark the summit you'll be able to see more of the surrounding White Mountains. The trail up is steep but enjoyable.

Good rainy day hike. Not the most exciting 4k but a 4k nonetheless. Id save this one for a cloudy or rainy day hike or maybe your 1st 4k.

Well maintained and relatively easy 4000 footer, not much for views but lovely Christmas tree forest up top. Balsam scented trails always nice.

nice easy hike. very peaceful and not crowded due to lack of views. would recommend if u only have 3-4 hrs and want to do a 4k.

Solid trail blazing made for a relatively easy hike. No views except for a slight view through some trees about a quarter mile from the summit clearing. Switchbacks during the middle of the ascent were nice places for a breather. If possible, try to hike past Mt. Hale to Mt. Zealand to make your trip to the White Mountains a little more worth while. 4.4 miles for a hike without a view is not exactly something to write home about.

great hike, no real view on top but very pretty on the way up. very slippery on the way down.

It was a great hike with some scenic outlooks but with so many beautiful hikes in NH not sure I would do it again.

No view from top. Warning you now. Trail pretty moderate though.

Crossed another 48 off the list. I knew this was a wooded summit ahead of time so I was prepared for "disappointment". I will say I underestimated this trail when I saw how short it was. It begins the steady incline pretty quickly and while it is gradual it doesn't let up too much. I will say despite not having a great view at the top the trail itself is beautiful and feels very much like a rainforest and you can almost hear the brook throughout the entire hike. It is a very wet trail and footing can be questionable as a lot of the rocks are rather smooth and the tree roots aren't any better. The way up was easy the way down required extra caution because of the slippery areas. You know you are close to the summit when the trail narrows significantly and it almost feels like you are bushwacking. Around these narrow spots if you look to your left or slightly behind you can see some mountains through the trees. The summit has a very large clearing with a massive rock cairn which is impressive and made up for the lack of an outlook. It was very warm when we hiked this and no breeze so we snapped our picture and started to head back. Bug Spray, don't forget it or this will definitely be a horrible experience.

We started at 6am on 7.16.17 we got to the summit at 7:49am (White Mountain Guide book states 2 hrs 15min) we were back to our car at just before 10am. We had a decent pace and still stopped to take pictures and video

We did come across frogs and a lot of slugs which are typically a bright orange and easily avoidable so be sure to watch your step to not kill any of these ☺

Side note, I bring small trash bags with me to pack my trash out and along the way I pick up trash I see. While you don't have to it is a nice thing to do to keep these trails clean and beautiful.

Went up via hale brook trail. FYI Zealand road is closed in the winter. Ends up being close to 10 miles total up Zealand rd and then up Hale round trip. More difficult on the ledge than expected, because of all the snow. it was pretty deep in some spots. Great views of Mount Washington from the trail.

Finished my hiking season this year with this one in the fall. It feels a bit steep at times but otherwise not difficult. And the summit has the largest cairn ever.

Wednesday, August 17, 2016

Hiked to Mount Hale from the Zealand Hut (Twinbrook and Lend a Hand trails) and then back down Hale Brook Trail to where we left our car the day before going up to the Hut.

The hike was enjoyable and the weather was cool and overcast which made things more bearable.

There were couple steep sections up Lend a Hand which seemed like they were more gradual than the initial decent and switchbacks down Hale Brook.

As others have noted, there's no view from the summit due to the tree growth around the clearing.

Wednesday, August 10, 2016

When my hiking partner sprained her ankle I had to change my plans from hiking Osceola to something I felt comfortable doing by myself. Mount Hale fit that bill, so off I went!

There was a 20% chance of rain, but the high was expected to be about 64*: Perfect hiking weather. The trail was dry, well marked, and not terribly rocky with very few spots that would qualify as "scrambles". In fact, I don't think there were any.

There were a couple of stream crossings and a really pretty waterfall. Instead of climbing up the side all the way you're given the treat of walking an edge trail, with beautiful flora all along the way.

So no, there's no summit view but it's still nice to be that much closer to the clouds. Took about 1 hr. 25 minutes to summit, and 1:20 down. This is certainly a recommended hike, and it's well enough traveled that going it alone isn't an issue.

Wednesday, June 15, 2016

Wet, ant the streams were very full

Monday, November 16, 2015

Easy trail. No views at the summit Great winter hike

Saturday, October 10, 2015

Hike was great no view at top

Tuesday, July 22, 2014

The trail has streams that cross at about the halfway point and when you 3/4 of the way there. You can kind've see the mountain views through the tree line when you're about to the summit. When you do get to the top of Mt. Hale, it's just like an open field with no views of the mountains. I went in the summer though. Nice hike though, a bit more of a rocky trail towards the top.