Mount Garfield Trail

Mount Garfield Trail is a 9.3 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Bethlehem, New Hampshire that features beautiful wild flowers. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking and nature trips. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Did it, not enjoyable in the least. I found it very hard on the knees coming back down.

This was our first 4K footer of the year. Great warmup for the season as it stretches the legs a bit and gives you a taste of what’s to come. There are only two water crossings which are really easy to clear, parts of the trail can be pretty wet so it’s a good idea to keep an eye on the weather leading up to your hike. Not much worth noting on the way up which can be a blessing as it forces you to push onto the summit where the views are great. All in all a good hike and a good metric to judge your fitness.

Okay - first, the views from the summit are absolutely spectacular! However, I learned a thing or two or twenty about hiking a 4000 footer in the spring - and my net is, don’t! Or at least not this one. The hike was 99% tedious and 1% fun. But the view is great! The gate was still closed to the access road, (which adds a little over a mile to the hike each way), probably to discourage people from hiking it right now! The trail starts off pretty nondescript - gentle climb through woodlands, dry footing, normal roots and rocks and stuff. Then the trail got wetter and muddier and rockier. Then you come to a confluence of perhaps every stream in the Whites and you have to find your way across this spider web of water. Doable. Would’ve been a wade for sure a couple of weeks ago! From here on, with tiny breaks of dry land, the trail is basically a muddy rocky stream bed. You can get around some of it, but it’s a pain. Then you hit the snow. Kind of spotty at first, then full on deep, with a narrow packed ridge to walk on like a balance beam, and deep post hole stuff dropping off on either side. Not too much ice. I had nano spikes which gripped just fine. Snowshoes probably would have been the best because you wouldn’t have had to worry so much about staying on the narrow packed ridge. Gaiters would have been a plus too for the few times you do sink in. Windy at the top but lots of places to sit behind granite “walls” to block the wind and enjoy the sunshine! Did this hike with my dog. I will stick to smaller hikes until the snow melts and things dry out a bit:)

Great up and down on an early winter day
Brown at the bottom 12” at the top great views no wind
Have heard some do this in the winter and then ski down from the ridge intersection. Now that’s how to do it !

definitely challenging, for my first 4000 ft peak in the White Mountains it definitely pushed me and I was thankful for the amazing view at the finish. Would love to do again.

Great fall hike. my- gps came in at 10.2 miles from the parking lot. Nice gradual hike up to the summit except the last push which makes you work for the view, but it's totally worth it. The views are spectacular with 360 degrees of viewing. Breezy at the top but we found a spot protected from the wind on the far side. The descent seemed long but I was tired. Definately worth coming back to this one.

Great hike, just really tired at the end of an almost 10-mile trail. Moderate hike in terms of effort, but the views were stunning. Stayed up on top for almost an hour sitting against the foundation of the old fire tire. We were protected from the wind and actually got to enjoy our entire lunch we lugged up. Got a lot of motivation from a woman ahead of us backpacking her young son (looked to be about 2-years-old) all the way up. Well marked trail, however, when leaving the summit of Garfield, make sure you choose the right trail down as there are two off the top: 1 leading back down to the parking lot of Garfield, and 1 leading over to Mt. Lafayette and neither of them are marked. Choose carefully when making your descent. That said, we had the trail mostly to ourselves going up which was so unexpected. The views were just beautiful. We took our time, stopping often to catch our breath, and still made it up in just under 2.5 hours. Unfortunately the trip down took us just as long. But the hike was well worth the effort.

Great moderate 4000 footer, gray Jay greeted me at summit looking for lunch that I gave him right out of my palm. Beautiful views of the Pemi loop.

Very beautiful view up top! Gradual elevation and a bit of rock scrambling the last 0.2 miles.

I loved this trail! It was long but not very steep I felt like I could actually enjoy the trail on my way up, the trail was pretty cool itself and the views from the summit are spectacular! Normally I feel like I have to bust my butt for the good views so it was nice to have a milder trail with a great summit! We started hiking by 9:00 and were back at the car by 3:30 with an hour break at the summit enjoying a little catnap in the sunshine.

Great trail, moderate most of the way so easy on knees. Too cloudy for much of a view but great anyway. With dog.

Loved this hike. The last .2 were a little steep, but the views from the top were amazing.

It rained heavily the night before and had to do three water crossings. Overall the the trail had lots of water coming down. Feet were wet, but it was completely worth it! Moderate hike, steady incline all the way up and last .2 miles are steep.

except for the last 0.2 miles, it's pretty easy going.

Saturday, June 10, 2017

To start, this should be a "hard" not "moderate" hike. The other reviews are misleading because the trail to the top is very strenuous. It is 4.8 miles up hill. The last 2.5 miles are all rock. The last .2 miles require you to use hands a feet to pull your way up the mountain. Climbing back down is equally difficult with the number of rocks . While the trail is a great all day hike, it is not for kids or people that don't hike regularly. Beautiful summit that's worth the effort, but if you're not up for it you'll likely never see it.

Wednesday, May 24, 2017

Great fun. Hiked with dog and my 7 yo stepson Wear good hiking boots !!! Little muddy and still snow around the summit in mid may

Sunday, November 27, 2016

As my second Mountain this was the hardest obviously. At 4,500 feet the 4.5 mile trail was short but very rocky and uphill, stopped a lot but probably one of the easier 4000footers I'm sure.

Friday, September 30, 2016

Gorgeous, very easy 4.8 miles to the junction of Garfield Ridge. A short, strenuous .2 miles to one of the most brilliant summits out there. Nothing short of a perfect day-hike for all abilities, as long as you have the right clothing and foot gear!