Mount Garfield Trail is a 9.3 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Bethlehem, New Hampshire that features beautiful wild flowers. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking and nature trips. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

It's hard to judge these trails this year. The amount of snowfall affects all aspects of the hike. For me the trail was mostly packed. Its a gradual ascent from the base to the last half mile. The last mile to the summit hadn't been attempted since the last snowfall. So it began with 4 inches of loose snow on packed base. Then became deep snow (couldn't tell trail from not)... Snowshoes went on about point 7 miles from the summit. The summit was very cold with temps in the negative double digits. The view of the Franconia ridge was epic. I really enjoyed my hike up Garfield. I would definitely recommend it any time of year.

Started in the parking lot with beautiful fall foliage and peaked at the top in 6 inches of snow! Gorgeous but I recommend bringing spikes and poles. Round trip in 5 1/2 hours. Gate still open.

Awesome hike even without being able to see any views at the top due to weather. I thought this trail was a steady climb from almost beginning to end. Not hard but a constant climb. I’ll definitely do this one again with my dogs

Great hike. Beautiful trek up through woods. A little stream crossing at the start but nothing too bad. The summit was very cold and windy when I went in mid October but was worth the hike.

I found this hike much tougher than I was expecting having read the reviews prior to the hike. The climb is steady and unrelenting the whole way, and of course, the last section is very steep. I recommend it, but it’s not easy.

Steady climb. Not super hard but some scrambling.

beautiful and fun hike, would do this one again. favorites

One of the easier 4000 footers in NH for sure! Only the last .2 of a mile were steep otherwise it was a relatively modest climb all the way up. We had a spectacular 360 degree view at the top!

Great hike. Very moderate for NH 4,000 footer. Took about 5.5 hours with lunch break at top. 10 miles out and back and very gradual until last brief push to the summit.

Pretty easy/moderate until the last 0.2 miles which is a steep push to the summit. There's another great lookout point about 100 yards after the summit.

A really good hike for a family and/or with dogs. Relatively easy and consistent climb due to the way the trail was built. A bit annoying descent as you get to the nine and 10 mile mark. The view on top is gorgeous.

Wanted a non strenuous 4000 footer and this delivered! Appreciated the long flat parts and amazing views at the top. Did get kinda bored along the way at points ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Easy in the 4000 footer sense. Not truly flat the entire way as others indicate here but a gradual ascent. Views at the top are spectacular but it was unbelievably crowded when we summited. The day we went (a week ago) one women sprained her ankle - might have been because of the overly wet conditions. Trail was almost all water the entire way after a week of heavy rains.

Great hike. Very gradual at the beginning and then the last 100 yards or so was a steep climb but SO worth it! 360 views at the top. Beautiful. We started late (1:30pm) and finished at 7:30pm... INCLUDING our 1 hour break. So our hike was 5 hours total from beginning to end (not including break time). I used hiking poles.. and I also wore hiking sandals which I feel slowed me down because there are some rocky parts. Next time I will wear my hiking boots.

Did this with my wife and niece, as we wanted to try a 4k (we're flatlanders from CT). All the reviews made it sound pretty doable, nothing too challenging. I think that's definitely a matter of perspective and fitness level. We started at 11am and made it about a .5 mile from the summit around 4:00pm. My niece went on and summitted while we stayed back. She said the last push was definitely long and hard, though the view was outstanding. She got back down to us around 5:30pm. It took us another 3 hours to get down. I think if you're used to hiking mountains, it probably is fine for most people. I'm 34 and hike pretty often in CT, there's just not much near us to compare for elevation gain. So if you have experience hiking mountains, it's probably moderate. If not, we'd call it strenuous. Total time for us was 9.5 hours.

Hiked this as #23 of my 4000's. Great hike- steeper sections have enough switchbacks to make for an easy ascent. Today was completely socked in at the summit, with visibility less than 30 feet. Summit area is great- small (the old tower foundation takes up most of the top rock), with plenty of places around the whole cone to sit and have lunch. This is a very moderate climb, easy on the legs. There is one small section just before the summit that might be classed as strenuous, but it's short and easily negotiated.

Loved this trail. Moderate and then steep briefly towards the end. The view was beautiful. Made it worth it!!!

Excellent trail. Most of the trail is very gradual incline and even when it does get steeper it isn't crazy. Hiked in at 3:30 am.

Good hike that is for the most part very gradual until the last bit but the views from the summit are amazing. Would definitely hike again.

Did it, not enjoyable in the least. I found it very hard on the knees coming back down.

This was our first 4K footer of the year. Great warmup for the season as it stretches the legs a bit and gives you a taste of what’s to come. There are only two water crossings which are really easy to clear, parts of the trail can be pretty wet so it’s a good idea to keep an eye on the weather leading up to your hike. Not much worth noting on the way up which can be a blessing as it forces you to push onto the summit where the views are great. All in all a good hike and a good metric to judge your fitness.

Okay - first, the views from the summit are absolutely spectacular! However, I learned a thing or two or twenty about hiking a 4000 footer in the spring - and my net is, don’t! Or at least not this one. The hike was 99% tedious and 1% fun. But the view is great! The gate was still closed to the access road, (which adds a little over a mile to the hike each way), probably to discourage people from hiking it right now! The trail starts off pretty nondescript - gentle climb through woodlands, dry footing, normal roots and rocks and stuff. Then the trail got wetter and muddier and rockier. Then you come to a confluence of perhaps every stream in the Whites and you have to find your way across this spider web of water. Doable. Would’ve been a wade for sure a couple of weeks ago! From here on, with tiny breaks of dry land, the trail is basically a muddy rocky stream bed. You can get around some of it, but it’s a pain. Then you hit the snow. Kind of spotty at first, then full on deep, with a narrow packed ridge to walk on like a balance beam, and deep post hole stuff dropping off on either side. Not too much ice. I had nano spikes which gripped just fine. Snowshoes probably would have been the best because you wouldn’t have had to worry so much about staying on the narrow packed ridge. Gaiters would have been a plus too for the few times you do sink in. Windy at the top but lots of places to sit behind granite “walls” to block the wind and enjoy the sunshine! Did this hike with my dog. I will stick to smaller hikes until the snow melts and things dry out a bit:)

Sunday, December 03, 2017

Great up and down on an early winter day
Brown at the bottom 12” at the top great views no wind
Have heard some do this in the winter and then ski down from the ridge intersection. Now that’s how to do it !

Wednesday, November 08, 2017

definitely challenging, for my first 4000 ft peak in the White Mountains it definitely pushed me and I was thankful for the amazing view at the finish. Would love to do again.

Tuesday, October 24, 2017

Great fall hike. my- gps came in at 10.2 miles from the parking lot. Nice gradual hike up to the summit except the last push which makes you work for the view, but it's totally worth it. The views are spectacular with 360 degrees of viewing. Breezy at the top but we found a spot protected from the wind on the far side. The descent seemed long but I was tired. Definately worth coming back to this one.

Saturday, October 14, 2017

Great hike, just really tired at the end of an almost 10-mile trail. Moderate hike in terms of effort, but the views were stunning. Stayed up on top for almost an hour sitting against the foundation of the old fire tire. We were protected from the wind and actually got to enjoy our entire lunch we lugged up. Got a lot of motivation from a woman ahead of us backpacking her young son (looked to be about 2-years-old) all the way up. Well marked trail, however, when leaving the summit of Garfield, make sure you choose the right trail down as there are two off the top: 1 leading back down to the parking lot of Garfield, and 1 leading over to Mt. Lafayette and neither of them are marked. Choose carefully when making your descent. That said, we had the trail mostly to ourselves going up which was so unexpected. The views were just beautiful. We took our time, stopping often to catch our breath, and still made it up in just under 2.5 hours. Unfortunately the trip down took us just as long. But the hike was well worth the effort.

Sunday, October 08, 2017

Great moderate 4000 footer, gray Jay greeted me at summit looking for lunch that I gave him right out of my palm. Beautiful views of the Pemi loop.

Sunday, August 27, 2017

Very beautiful view up top! Gradual elevation and a bit of rock scrambling the last 0.2 miles.

Friday, August 18, 2017

I loved this trail! It was long but not very steep I felt like I could actually enjoy the trail on my way up, the trail was pretty cool itself and the views from the summit are spectacular! Normally I feel like I have to bust my butt for the good views so it was nice to have a milder trail with a great summit! We started hiking by 9:00 and were back at the car by 3:30 with an hour break at the summit enjoying a little catnap in the sunshine.

Monday, August 07, 2017