Mount Franklin and Mount Eisenhower via Edmands Path

hardYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow Star(141)
White Mountain National Forest

Mount Franklin and Mount Eisenhower via Edmands Path is a 8.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Whitefield, New Hampshire that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and nature trips. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Length8.3 miElevation gain3,333 ftRoute typeOut & back
Dogs on leashHikingNature tripsForestViewswild-flowersWildlife
Description
Waypoints (4)

SEASONAL ROAD CLOSURE: Roads leading to this trailhead are subject to seasonal closure. For more information, please visit https://www.fs.usda.gov/detailfull/whitemountain/home/?cid=stelprdb5183538

Weather
UV Index
Daylight
Reviews (153)
Photos (919)
Recordings (150)
Completed (759)
Alice Boyd
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarDecember 6, 2020
Hiking

Great hike on 12/4. Icy up edmunds path, definitely would recommend micro spikes. We had nanos but made it work. Had a beautiful view up top and shockingly little wind!

Ryan Ferguson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarDecember 4, 2020

Ammonoosuc Ravine Trail to Crawford Path to Edmand's Path

View Ryan's Recording
Brian Pomposelli
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarNovember 7, 2020
View Brian's Recording
Steve V
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarNovember 4, 2020
HikingGreat!IcySnow

Hiked this on Sunday November 1st 2020. Dry flat trail to start, got some snow and light ice on the trail half way up and then heavy ice about a 1 mile from the summit. Micros worked great all the way to the summit of Eisenhower. Did not do Franklin due to heavy winds and zero visibility. Awesome hike and would repeat.

Scott Trafton
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarOctober 23, 2020
Hiking

I’d give this hike 6 stars! Hiked up Edmands path at 7am. Only two other cars there. Moderate hike until near the summit. Turns into a level ridge line walk to an open ridge with awesome views of Washington, Monroe, Franklin, and Jefferson. Easy climb from there to the summit. Windy today on Eisenhower. Walked over to Franklin, on a fairly easy path with great views. Franklin was warm with zero wind. Didn’t have time to go touch Monroe, but only 20 minutes away :(. Highly recommend this hike! Best I’ve done out of my 27. 5:13 moving time, 8.7 miles

Jay D.
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarOctober 19, 2020
HikingGreat!RockySnow

We took Edmands path to the summit of Eisenhower and back on Sunday morning. It was a beautiful sunny day with just enough snow to make it interesting but the trail was easily passable. The trail was definitely soggy on the way back with snow melt from warming temperatures but not to the point of muddy. Beautiful 360 frosty views from the top. It won’t be long before this becomes a more significant endeavor with the inevitable snow coming. I’d highly recommend this trail in the summer for almost anyone of moderate to strong ability, and a beauty in the colder months as well for the fit and experienced. note that car access the the Edmands Path trailhead is blocked by a gate in the “winter”. I could not find any exact date of its closing and opening but online forums showed it closed roughly November to April.

Live Free Die Hiking
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarOctober 17, 2020
Hiking

This was a windy one! There were gusts of 45 mph on the ridge line and summit, but it was worth it. We went on to peak Little Monroe and Mount Monroe and followed back down Crawford Path to Edmunds since we had a lot of daylight left (we started at 9am). Not very crowded, but it was a Thursday. According to the map it was 10.4 miles total, but my phone says 15. Gorgeous views all around.

Ed White
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarOctober 11, 2020
View Ed 's Recording
MaryAnne Antonellis
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarOctober 5, 2020

I loved this hike very pretty trail with a few water crossings, when you get to the top there’s 360 views great view of Mt Washington. We got to the parking lot at 7am and that made all the difference on a Sunday Oct 4th. Basically alone on the trail until the summit of Eisenhower then we saw some people we did not do Mt Franklin great day our dog Honey loved it too!

Josh Trepanier
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarOctober 4, 2020
Hiking

Great weather, easy up, spectacular views, easy down. Kids’ first hike, couldn’t have been a better intro to hiking.

View Josh's Recording
Ian Maksut
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSeptember 27, 2020
HikingFeeMuddyOver grownRockyScramble

This was definitely one of the harder trails I’ve hiked. I took Crawford Path up to Pierce and over to Eisenhower, then decided after hitting Franklin and Monroe, to go back down Edmunds Path. This snakes it’s way around Eisenhower over very rocky lose terrain, followed by the fateful alpine zone exposure warning sign. While it didn’t rain recently, drainage caused parts near Eisenhower to be slick. There’s a sharp slabdd rock turn on an angle with limited branches to hold onto which made it very dangerous going down. After this section it was mainly a straight down descent over rocks and tree routes. The fallen leaves covering the trail also made for slippery hiking conditions. If you parked further up Mt Clinton Rd at the Crawford Path, it’s about a 2 mile walk down the road back. Toward the end the last half mile was rather level with two creek crossings. If I had to descend these summits again, I would return to Crawford Path as it was a more steady decline that was less risky.

Dorin Neacsu
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 26, 2020
View Dorin's Recording
Nate DiOrio
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 25, 2020
Hiking

Pretty moderate Difficulty hike, if there wasn’t a drought right now there would be some parts that would be much more difficult due to water. Hazy day but great views from the top of Eisenhower.

View Nate's Recording
Kevin Jolliffe
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 24, 2020
View Kevin's Recording
Kerrie Vincent
Hiking

I don’t think this trail is hard, I’m used to hiking in the Adirondacks so to me this is a moderate trail. I started hiking so early that when I got above tree line there was poor visibility all the way to Franklin, and Monroe. Then finally when I got back to Franklin the fog started to go away and I got to see pretty views for the remainder of my hike!

View Kerrie's Recording
C Bjerke
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 20, 2020
Hiking

We lucked out with the perfect fall day! Gorgeous woods with leaves just turning. Spectacular views 360 degrees at summit. Moderate grade the whole way up. Can’t believe I haven’t hiked this one before. My last Presidential 4K+ summit!

View C's Recording
Tatiana Santisi
HikingGreat!
View Tatiana's Recording
Mark Morency
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSeptember 17, 2020
Hiking

I took this trail to the summit of Eisenhower only (6.1 miles, round trip.) Trailhead has spaces for about 18 cars with no porta-potties or facilities. No parking fee. There's a major facility about a mile away for restrooms, etc. The trail was not as rocky as some others in the area, and did not have any particularly steep sections. We're experienced but not frequent hikers and had no trouble getting to the summit in 2 hours and back down again in less than 1.5 hours. Toward the top the trail becomes rocky and exposed with amazing views (when not socked in by clouds.) Weather can shift quickly and there are signs warning of this; when we hit the exposed area there was a light breeze wafting clouds up the side of the ravine toward us. 10 minutes later there were sustained winds of 40+ and dense fog restricting visibility to a few hundred yards and a pretty sharp decrease in temp. Back down off the summit the trail itself was calm, quiet and peaceful.

Shaun Cloonan
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 15, 2020
HikingRockyScramble

Got there at sunrise and forecast said it was going to be sunny today (9/14/20) and it wasn’t. It started raining pretty good right when I started the trail but I’ve hiked in the rain before with no problem. The trail is absolutely beautiful, lots of ominous looking trees and a fun trail to navigate. And the incline was never more than you could handle, it was fairly gradual enough to let you go at a good pace. So I knew the weather was horrible but I was having fun ...... until I ran across a sign at the end of the tree line stating “worst weather in America, many have died here, even in the summer. If weather is bad turn around.” I’ve never seen a sign like that on any other mountain and I think it kinda messed with my head. I was not going to turn around, but I went slow and steady and felt confident, until I hit the base of the summit. The winds were 85mph (which I’ve never experienced before) and my hands were so cold (even with gloves on) I couldn’t unzip my backpack to put on my winter coat. All I could do was hide behind the pillar of rocks for a bit wishing I never went up. The summit was pretty miserable and I left as quickly as I could, but it still gets 5 because I could tell if the weather was friendly, that summit would be incredible. This is a good 4k beginner mountain in my opinion, lots of tight spots though which are fun, but I wouldn’t want to be dodging people on this trail. Go early.

Lily Yang
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 13, 2020
Hiking

First half moderate, on the top gets very windy! Great views on the top!

View Lily's Recording
L G
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 12, 2020
HikingGreat!

Arrived at the trailhead around 8:30am on Saturday and cars were parked all along the road. We were lucky to get a spot in the lot as someone was leaving. Gorgeous views above treeline once you reach the junction with Crawford Path. We extended this hike and added in Little Monroe and Mount Monroe. This section of Crawford Path is stunningly beautiful. We weren't quite sure where Mount Franklin was as we were hiking, but when you come to a junction sign that just says "Crawford Path (AT)", look behind it and you will see a foot path leading up to Mount Franklin's summit (otherwise, it's not marked). Perfect weather for this day above treeline and for Flags on the 48!