Mount Cube via the Appalachian Trail

Mount Cube via the Appalachian Trail is a 6.8 mile out and back trail located near Orford, New Hampshire that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, and nature trips and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 6.8 miles Elevation Gain: 2,162 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Trail was fun and worthwhile with 4 inches of fresh snow. Streams weren't frozen over yet but were all easy to cross. View was gorgeous from viewpoint and summit.

Views are great at both peaks. The trail was not my favorite though. There was quite a bit of going up and down the first mile or so meaning on the way back there was up and down. The whole hike took us 4 hours round trip with water breaks and picture taking. It was quite muddy in some places. At the summit you get nice views of the White Mountains.

As an occasional hiker, this was a solid moderate - not too easy but not super hard either. Doable in sneakers (tho wouldn't reccomend) and a walking stick as the downhill is rough on the knees. No views really until the top but it's still a nice wooded setting. Trail is a bit muddy and slick at spots but super clear and well marked once you find the trailhead sign hiding behind some trees!

I'm new to hiking and from Texas. I felt very confident in the trail. It's very well marked with white blazes and even if it wasn't the path is very obvious. I'm not sure if I stopped looking or if I didn't notice but the white marking seem to get less about 3/4 of the way up...but not really needed. This trail gave me a workout for sure. I think most people in ok shape could finish this trail. I ran into a few hikers but for the most part it was just me. Views at the top were really nice. I recommend doing the side trail and the summit. Cell phone reception is on and off...mostly on as you get higher.

We had car drop. Up Rivendell trail just 2 miles to south peak with great views. Then .5 to north peak with great but different views. Down AT trail. To keep short, take Rivendell trail up and back. Wonderful either way.

After parking, the concealed trailhead is to the right. (What looks like the trailhead to the left of parking is, in fact, a dead end road.) This was an invigorating hike both in the challenges it presented and the views. Take the time to do the side trail at the top, which gives you views from the North Peak. It’s only an extra 0.2 miles out of your way and provides a little more privacy and space to spread out than is offered at the top. I’d recommend a hiking stick. I wished I had one as the last mile at the top is gnarly with roots and rocks. I’d strongly recommend bringing food and an extra water bottle. Be open to having company as you’ll share the route with lots of Appalachian Trail hikers! Overall: Very enjoyable and provides a good workout with rewarding views!

Canopy hike was lovely. View at summit was gorgeous. It took us 4.5 hours round trip but were pokey. Lots of AT thru hikers and shared trail magic

Gradual incline to start. Gets a bit tough just before reaching the summit. Great view at the north face of Cube!

Relatively easy walking, clearly marked trail with beautiful scenery. Some steeper inclines which those less experienced or active may complain about (aka: my wife). Full canopy overhead where we could hear the rain but not feel it. Entrance to the path is not very clearly marked and we started up the fire road for about 20 yards before we realized it, went back and found the sign behind some overgrown vines. Not much in the way of parking..just pull off the side of the road, lock the car, and go. Overall a nice experience.

Gentle trail with some incline. Met some thru-hikers and handed out trail magic.

awesome kike. beautiful views.

I think mount cube is underrated. The summit had great views and was pretty spacious and flat. Had a lot of room to sit down and relax with good views. Trail was well marked and easy to follow throughout

Muddy and flies - must be May. Very nice views at the top, and uncrowded up and down. Helpful fresh trimming of evergreens at the top to make more room on trail. Thank you to some one.

Some mud in spots, but not too bad. The black flies are out in force, so I highly recommend bug spray.

Very muddy all the way till the main river crossing, the river was too high there and I was not able to continue, looked like someone else had to turn around there recently as well. Bit of ice left but mostly just mud and leaves, rainy day but good area for a hike. Trailhead is directly across from a camp not tough to find.