Mount Chocorua Loop Trail

Mount Chocorua Loop Trail is a 8.5 mile loop trail located near Conway, New Hampshire that features a great forest setting and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, and nature trips and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

A popular rocky traverse over a series of mountains in the Whites with terrific 360 degree views. This is one of the most popular and beautiful hikes in the White Mountains of New Hampshire. Mt. Chocorua looks like the summit of a peak you may find in the Colorado Rockies! Once you get up to the ridge via the steep ridge trail you will be following a ridge traverse over open ledges and several peaks to the rocky summit of Chocorua. From the Chocorua Summit you will have great views towards Mount Washington and the rest of the White Mountains before heading back to the parking area.

Stunningly beautiful hike. Gorgeous forest trails(Weetamoo Trail was especially nice). My threesome hiked the day after 2 days of heavy rains which we thought would be a much bigger problem. Some of the granite face was slippery but over all not as soggy as expected. Will agree with some other reviewers, trail markings can be sporadic. Summit was unfortunately crowded, which I understand considering the awesome 360° views. If you take the Carter Ridge trail as your ascent plan on less then 1mph. ~Get lost!.....go hiking

Love love love this hike!! The views from the top are amazing and the scrambles were a lot of fun! Definitely will do this again in the future and would highly recommend! :)

Well marked until you reach upper elevations, so look carefully for the faded yellow blaze marks and the cairns.
Challenging hike, but worth it. the views are spectacular!

I’ve done chocorua loop 9 times in varying weather and season. It’s an incredibly dependable day hike that I’ve taken many out of towners on. It’s just hard enough to make people realize the difficulty of a real hike but also well marked and well maintained to be dependably easy to access.

Mt. Chocorua is a tough 9 mile hike to a rewarding peak with great views of the tallest mountains in New Hampshire! The terrain is challenging and takes 3+ hours to the top if you push yourself with little stops along the way! Pack some snacks and perhaps a lunch with lots of water for hydration and energy. We went on a beautiful clear day mid July and it was totally worth it! In my opinion best views of the Appalachian Mts! Stick to the path and plan ahead as there’s several trails that go different ways. Doo it :)

On the question of available water. There is water for the first mile or so of every trail. The highest water I know of is at Liberty Cabin and it's not much. There is a sign pointing toward it behind the cabin. Any water you get on Chocorua needs to be treated. Too many animals and people.

some of the yellow marks on the path r faded so make sure u pay attention so u don't get lost. other than that ,when you get to the top you feel like ur on top of the world!!! 6 hour trip the piper trl..

Does anyone know if there is water on this trail? It’s been dry and i want to take my niece to hike it this morning but didn’t know how much water to pack.

Stuck to the ridge trails for the views on this on which proved to be a wise move. Some points on the Nickerson Ledge and Carter Ledge Trails were pretty steep but the payoff in views made them worthwhile. Absolutely loved the Sisters and the views of Chocorua further down the ridge. The trail between the Sisters and Chocorua itself were easy. About a 100 foot ledge scramble to summit Chocorua. Descended via Liberty/Hammond/Weetamoo. Incredible views from both the Sisters and Chocorua. Awesome hike.

fun with scrambles, and beautiful summit views.

Recorded about 10 miles but couldn’t agree more, challenging and beautiful views.

One of the best trails in NH. Not easy but worth the climb, amazing views at the top. most beautiful in autumn.

Did this with my adult sons lots different types of terrain with lots of views!

I went on this hike on a beautiful day in June and it was amazing. The views from the top are breathtaking, highly recommend! it's on the more difficult side and there are rocks to climb over at the top so be aware of this when setting out.

Bouts of steep rocks are mixed in with a decently level route. Elevation is gained roughly and quickly, however the views from the top are fantastic. On a clear day the white mountains can be clearly seen across the horizon. About 4 hours if you’re going a decent/slower pace. Like most N.H. hikes, this is well worth the trip.

Good hike.

Great loop with rocky summits, I strongly recommend it

We hiked up the piper trail today, took the pup with us as well. Great trail although there was a good amount of snow/ice still. We didn’t have spikes but still managed to summit. The top was pretty icey though. Spectacular views up top of Mt Washington and the surrounding White Mountains. With the snow and ice it took us about 4hrs round trip.

I didn’t actually intend to climb Chocoura when I went (originally there for the falls) so I was a bit ill-prepared. Like most will say, the views at the top are killer....however. It’s February but for some reason the temps were in the 60’s so I figured it would be a great day to get out. Don’t make that mistake on this trail. The whole mountain was melting causing the trails to become rivers of either slush or solid ice. Even with micro spikes it was incredibly tiring. Many sections of trail looked like solid ice but ended up being 8in of slush. That left me with soaked feet for the whole climb. Definitely plan your trip during nicer weather unless you’re a sucker for pain.

Really fun little rocky climb, especially towards the top! Beautiful views as well. Chocorua reminds us that it doesn't have to be big to be challenging and rewarding.

awesome veiws

Starting to get chilly up there now. Lots of icy sections about 1/2 way up the mountain. Microspikes were essential yesterday.

beautiful!

Lot of fun on this hike today. It is steep and jagged at the top (and a little icy today) but doable if you take it slow. The views at the top are amazing.

beautiful views of the summit as you're hiking up. good mix of shade and sun. and dog friendly!

Great hike! I went with my husband and dog going up the piper trail which was fun! Once we reached the rock summit it was challenging (especially if you have a fear of heights!) we had to carry our small dog to the peak, this is the first 'hard' hike I've ever done and I'm very happy we made it to the top, the view is unbelievable!! We took the Hammond trial back connecting us back to piper trail...the Hammond trail was less steep than the piper trail. Overall great experience!!!

Great hike.

Difficult, beautiful views and great hiking!

We went up and back same trail not the loop but did side trail to water fall. Wonderful trail! Good footing; great falls even though little water. Top was dramatic, rocky, view great. Very windy. One of my top hikes in NH/VT!

GORGEOUS hike!! Although there were many fellow hikers on top of Chocorua, our hike was very quiet and we didn't see many others on the trail (hiking on a Sunday). The Carter Ledge Trail is the most difficult part of the assent. However, once we got to the sisters ridge, it was smooth sailing, and the descent was not too rough on the knees. A must-hike in the Whites in my mind!