Mount Cardigan via West Ridge Trail

Mount Cardigan via West Ridge Trail is a 2.9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Canaan, New Hampshire that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from January until January. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Bring good boots and crampons. micro spikes may work early in the winter but we got some decent snow and plenty of ice buildup towards the summit on the West Ridge trail. The walk up is great but you park at the bottom by the gate and have to walk with what feels like .5 miles to get to the trail. A snow storm blew in on the summit but the views beforehand were amazing! Dress warm, layer up, and pack your essentials.

Really nice day hike.

Be prepared for a fair amount of mud and wet rocks if you complete this trail after a recent bout of rain.

My nine year old did well on this trail with minimal breaks. There is a substantial time spent above the treeline on bare rock. Keep this in mind if heading out in wet weather. This also makes the hike a fulltime viewfest for the last .5 mile or so.

You will see crowds. If you do not arrive early you will be looking for parking. The peak was windy when we summited. This did not come as a surprise as everyone I've talked to has confirmed these conditions from their time on the top.

Well marked trail, solidly "moderate" in terms of strenuousness. stunning views at summit.

Great hike. Will definitely do again. The views are spectacular.

Fabulous. Challenging, wild, and 360 degree view from the top.

An incredible hike. I'd rate it on the top end of moderate in terms of difficulty, but so worth it. The 360 views from the summit were brilliant. Can't wait to do it again!

This was a challenging hike for sure! It's all uphill from start to finish and about a quarter of the way to the summit is all large slabs of rock at an insane incline! When I thought I was at the summit I would turn the next corner and there were more! Don't let me scare you though the view is insanely beautiful. I could spent all night there. This was my second mountain this week , if you're a beginner I would save this for your 5th or 6th lol!!

awesome trails and beautiful view from the top! very Rocky and alot tougher then excited. lots of people! had camera stolen from parking area after leaving it for less then 20 mins

Beautiful views busy trail, I would have enjoyed less people and dogs

Have wanted to do this hike for a while and the views from the top did not disappoint. The trail was pretty muddy in parks but overall in good shape. The black flies were absolutely brutal until you got above the tree line. Forget the bug spray, bring a net, far more effective and won't wear off as the day goes on.

Today was in the 30s or lower and it was ICY! My boyfriend did not have any ice spikes, we were a little unprepared. I also dont have great ice spikes so I recommend getting some good ones if this is one of your first winter hikes. It was my second winter hike and it was so slippery we took a lot of painful falls. When we got towards the top it is a super tough push to the top of bare rock face. Super beautiful! A little strenuous towards to the top and too icy to be not prepared. We will definitely be more prepared for our winter endeavors but this was an overall tiring day. The view was absolutely spectacular and probably better than a 4000footer we climbed in September. Overall moderate hike, we took about an hour and a half due to being unprepared and out of breath but this would obviously be better had it not been icy!

Wednesday, January 04, 2017

Up the West ridge....great hike, not hard, surface today great for spikes (no snowshoes needed). Top was windless!! Perfect day! Awesome 360' view to all the great ski areas all around. Down South Ridge. Hike up only took 1.5 hours. Easy

Sunday, December 18, 2016

Very easy hike for kiddos and whole family with 360 views. I try and do this one at least once a year. With my niece and nephew it takes 50 minutes up (they are not hikers) the views are amazing; specially for the quick hike up! Also a great hike to try for a sunset hike as the way down isn't too strenuous (I do suggest head lamps and flash lights just to be safe of course) Perfect hike for year round!

Tuesday, November 22, 2016

All uphill but a great view

Wednesday, October 19, 2016

Great day hike. Perfect trails for taking your dog or family. Plus alot of good views.

Saturday, October 01, 2016

Great day!

Sunday, September 25, 2016

Moderate trail with some rocks to climb on the top. We went around end of September. It was super windy at the stop but amazing view with some fall colors. The rocks might be slippery and icy during winter. Might go for a hike there again with friends. Our dog loved the hike too.

Sunday, September 25, 2016

A great view for the short hike that it is! Lovely on a clear fall day. A nice warm layer recommended

Monday, September 12, 2016

Great hike with spectacular views from the rocky summit. Don't forget to bring your windbreaker!! Thanks to Craig for keeping the trails clean- and for pointing out which mountains were which at the top!

Monday, July 18, 2016

Great views and not super difficult. It's a quick hike. There's a fire tower, too.