Mount Adams Via Air Line Trail

Mount Adams Via Air Line Trail is a 7.5 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Randolph, New Hampshire that features a river and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from January until January. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

old growth

This was as difficult a hike as I have done in a while. Airline is much more steep and straight than Valley Way. Packs were lighter because we were staying at Madison Hut; lucky us. This hike was totally worth it though. The views once you get to Durand Ridge were phenomenal! If you want a challenge, go Airline on the way up.

Did this hike on Saturday, and decided to make a loop out of it going up Airline to the summit, then down Star Lake to the hut, then down Valley Way. Highly recommend as Airline provides wonderful views and is steeper, and Valley Way stays in the trees and is less rugged. This loop was a total of 8.5 miles. It took me a while to complete, largely because I did not have poles, which would be very helpful for a hike like this as the last mile or so up to Adams (and back down) is awkwardly rocky and can be difficult to maneuver. The summit was too populated for my taste (plus it is not flat so everyone’s awkwardly trying to stand on the rocks) but the trails were often quiet for long stretches. The view of Washington from the summit is my favorite I have ever seen.

did this Saturday and it was a first pretty hard but so worth it once you got to the top.

Very steep and rocky. Incredible view at the top. You could go trail running on it, but you would need quads of steel for the uphill. I suggest hiking or backpacking.

Done this one a few times and it’s never boring.

Great hike on a beautiful day. Don't know if my brother will agree but I give him credit he persevered. This hike is one of the hardest I've done to date. The push to Adams summit is rough terrain and very strenuous in my opinion. Kings Ravine was awesome to follow up and looks down to Jefferson, Madison and Washington from the tops of Adams and Madison were splendid. 2 more 4ks off the list

Probably too hard for me, I stopped at the refuge but the trail is very nice. Be careful at the way down.

Saturday, August 12, 2017

Crazy fun and difficult at times. Careful on the way down!

Saturday, July 08, 2017

Challenging trail. The hut was cool.

Thursday, July 06, 2017

Sunday, June 25, 2017

We took the Kings Ravine trail up and the Air line down. Challenging and amazing!!!

Monday, May 29, 2017

Although I had a next to perfect day, I imagine this to be a hearty trail that rewards the climber with ascending the second highest summit in New Hampshire. It's a bear of a climb and straight up most of the way. The Knife Edge is truly something to behold and unlike anything I've seen in the Whites. I would rank it very high but a notch below Lafayette in terms of total satisfaction. A must climb. Read my detailed blog on this hike and more at: https://www.chasingjadetrailstopeaks.com/single-post/2017/10/09/Mount-Adams-Madison

Monday, November 21, 2016

Took air line to Mt Adams, which was a steady and unforgiving incline. I did not enjoy the trail until i was above tree line. Incredible views from that point on with lots of fun scrambling. I was lucky the weather was unusually warm this time of year (late November) or else the scrambling and following the trail above tree line would have been difficult with ice and snow everywhere. I should've peak bagged to Madison like others did, regrets!!!

Thursday, October 13, 2016

Took air line to Adams, then Madison, the hut and down via Valley way. Rt 2 to Adams summit , about 5 hrs. Start to finish 10 hrs and a change.

Liked Air line better than Valley way, which looked endless at 7 PM.

The view from Madison is better, may be because it includes Adams.

Both peaks involve walking on huge rocks, easy to trip/slip and have a bad fall. Had nice, mostly sunny, warm weather, but can imagine what it would be in rain or snow.

Monday, August 29, 2016

I hiked up Lowes path to Mt. Adams then went back down the air line path. Total distance was 9.6 miles. I definitely prefer the air line path, it has great views once above tree line, easy to follow path.

Wednesday, August 17, 2016

4.0 miles "out and back" is very misleading and inaccurate. I'm glad I read reviews elsewhere, because the hike is actually 8.6 miles in its entirety!

Tuesday, August 16, 2016

Guys, thanks for these great reviews! Google maps doesn't show the accurate location of the trailhead-- anyone know whereabouts it is?? Thanks!

Wednesday, August 03, 2016

My absolute favorite hike on Planet Earth. This trail is straight up all the way, breaks tree line fairly fast and has incredible views of the entire Presidential Range, Mt. Adams, Madison, and Jefferson. You can also access the Madison Hut from this trail and check out the wee little Star Lake. This is not an easy hike. Use caution during inclement weather, it gets REALLY windy on the ridge. I've been up there in freezing rain in early September and a sudden snow storm in October. I'm sure you guys already know but, bring appropriate rain and cold weather gear. It can get intense real fast!

Friday, June 10, 2016

Took Airline down after summiting Mt. Adams via King Ravine (which I can't seem to find on this app) After the grueling climb of King Ravine and scrambling through the subway taking the Airline trail down was relatively easy, but this trail is by no means an easy hike! Once you clear the tree line you've got pure beauty on all sides of you. Great trail if you're looking to summit Adams with a pit stop at Madison Spring Hut to fill up and take a breather.

Monday, June 16, 2014

Very strenuous but this is one of my favorite ridge style hikes in the White Mountains. Durand Ridge is a photographic paradise. The views of Star Lake are impressive.

recorded ADAMS