Mount Adams Via Air Line Trail

Mount Adams Via Air Line Trail is a 7.6 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Randolph, New Hampshire that features a river and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from January until January. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

old growth

We took the Kings Ridge trail up and the Air line down. Challenging and amazing!!!

Although I had a next to perfect day, I imagine this to be a hearty trail that rewards the climber with ascending the second highest summit in New Hampshire. It's a bear of a climb and straight up most of the way. The Knife Edge is truly something to behold and unlike anything I've seen in the Whites. I would rank it very high but a notch below Lafayette in terms of total satisfaction. A must climb.

Took air line to Mt Adams, which was a steady and unforgiving incline. I did not enjoy the trail until i was above tree line. Incredible views from that point on with lots of fun scrambling. I was lucky the weather was unusually warm this time of year (late November) or else the scrambling and following the trail above tree line would have been difficult with ice and snow everywhere. I should've peak bagged to Madison like others did, regrets!!!

Took air line to Adams, then Madison, the hut and down via Valley way. Rt 2 to Adams summit , about 5 hrs. Start to finish 10 hrs and a change.

Liked Air line better than Valley way, which looked endless at 7 PM.

The view from Madison is better, may be because it includes Adams.

Both peaks involve walking on huge rocks, easy to trip/slip and have a bad fall. Had nice, mostly sunny, warm weather, but can imagine what it would be in rain or snow.

I hiked up Lowes path to Mt. Adams then went back down the air line path. Total distance was 9.6 miles. I definitely prefer the air line path, it has great views once above tree line, easy to follow path.

4.0 miles "out and back" is very misleading and inaccurate. I'm glad I read reviews elsewhere, because the hike is actually 8.6 miles in its entirety!

Guys, thanks for these great reviews! Google maps doesn't show the accurate location of the trailhead-- anyone know whereabouts it is?? Thanks!

My absolute favorite hike on Planet Earth. This trail is straight up all the way, breaks tree line fairly fast and has incredible views of the entire Presidential Range, Mt. Adams, Madison, and Jefferson. You can also access the Madison Hut from this trail and check out the wee little Star Lake. This is not an easy hike. Use caution during inclement weather, it gets REALLY windy on the ridge. I've been up there in freezing rain in early September and a sudden snow storm in October. I'm sure you guys already know but, bring appropriate rain and cold weather gear. It can get intense real fast!

Friday, June 10, 2016

Took Airline down after summiting Mt. Adams via King Ravine (which I can't seem to find on this app) After the grueling climb of King Ravine and scrambling through the subway taking the Airline trail down was relatively easy, but this trail is by no means an easy hike! Once you clear the tree line you've got pure beauty on all sides of you. Great trail if you're looking to summit Adams with a pit stop at Madison Spring Hut to fill up and take a breather.

Monday, June 16, 2014

Very strenuous but this is one of my favorite ridge style hikes in the White Mountains. Durand Ridge is a photographic paradise. The views of Star Lake are impressive.