Mount Adams Via Air Line Trail

Mount Adams Via Air Line Trail is a 7.6 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Randolph, New Hampshire that features a river and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from January until January. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

old growth

Great hike on a beautiful day. Don't know if my brother will agree but I give him credit he persevered. This hike is one of the hardest I've done to date. The push to Adams summit is rough terrain and very strenuous in my opinion. Kings Ravine was awesome to follow up and looks down to Jefferson, Madison and Washington from the tops of Adams and Madison were splendid. 2 more 4ks off the list

Probably too hard for me, I stopped at the refuge but the trail is very nice. Be careful at the way down.

Crazy fun and difficult at times. Careful on the way down!

Challenging trail. The hut was cool.

We took the Kings Ravine trail up and the Air line down. Challenging and amazing!!!

Although I had a next to perfect day, I imagine this to be a hearty trail that rewards the climber with ascending the second highest summit in New Hampshire. It's a bear of a climb and straight up most of the way. The Knife Edge is truly something to behold and unlike anything I've seen in the Whites. I would rank it very high but a notch below Lafayette in terms of total satisfaction. A must climb. Read my detailed blog on this hike and more at: https://www.chasingjadetrailstopeaks.com/single-post/2017/10/09/Mount-Adams-Madison

Monday, November 21, 2016

Took air line to Mt Adams, which was a steady and unforgiving incline. I did not enjoy the trail until i was above tree line. Incredible views from that point on with lots of fun scrambling. I was lucky the weather was unusually warm this time of year (late November) or else the scrambling and following the trail above tree line would have been difficult with ice and snow everywhere. I should've peak bagged to Madison like others did, regrets!!!

Thursday, October 13, 2016

Took air line to Adams, then Madison, the hut and down via Valley way. Rt 2 to Adams summit , about 5 hrs. Start to finish 10 hrs and a change.

Liked Air line better than Valley way, which looked endless at 7 PM.

The view from Madison is better, may be because it includes Adams.

Both peaks involve walking on huge rocks, easy to trip/slip and have a bad fall. Had nice, mostly sunny, warm weather, but can imagine what it would be in rain or snow.

Monday, August 29, 2016

I hiked up Lowes path to Mt. Adams then went back down the air line path. Total distance was 9.6 miles. I definitely prefer the air line path, it has great views once above tree line, easy to follow path.

Wednesday, August 17, 2016

4.0 miles "out and back" is very misleading and inaccurate. I'm glad I read reviews elsewhere, because the hike is actually 8.6 miles in its entirety!

Tuesday, August 16, 2016

Guys, thanks for these great reviews! Google maps doesn't show the accurate location of the trailhead-- anyone know whereabouts it is?? Thanks!