Mount Monroe Trail

Mount Monroe Trail is a 4.8 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Twin Mountain, New Hampshire that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

The view of Mt Washington and of the Southern Presidentials is wonderful. The trail is generally level for the first 2 miles at which time you will arrive at the gem pool. The last mile is very steep. Only the last 3/10ths of a mile is very exposed to the wind but in inclement weather that can be too much. Please remember that this is not a good place to hike in the winter.

Sights are breathtaking.

Hiked the Ammonousic trail toward Mount Monroe April 7, 2018. The trail began gradually with increasing steepness. It had just snowed about 4 inches at the base. As we went up it was necessary to wear crampons because there was ice under the snow. We got as far as Lake of the Clouds hut and decided to quit just short of our goal. The temperature was about 10 degrees and was very windy. Our footprints were being covered with the blowing snow, so since the trail blazed were covered up, it would have been difficult to find our way back. Otherwise it was a great hike.
We had fun sliding down the steep parts of the trail on our butts wearing ski pants!

Had such a blast on this one. The first couple miles are gradual, up and down. There are a few water falls, which are gorgeous. We we're lucky to get a clear day. As long as you do your weather research, and are in good shape, you should be able to manage this trail. Rocks can get slippery, and it can get very windy past the Alpine point. Just stay cautious and enjoy! Incredible views.

Windy

Great hike for my first 4,000 footer! Such beautiful views from the top! My only word of advice is to be very cautious on the way down because the rocks are slippery.

An absolutely awesome trail! The trip up will be slow, because if you're like me and my hiking partner you'll constantly be stopping to take pics. The Lakes of the Clouds hut is a great place to stop before heading to the summit of Monroe, and if you started early enough you can head over to Mt Washington afterward. We didn't start early enough, unfortunately.
I'm not in the greatest shape but I found the trail easier than I expected, at least on the ascent. It started raining while we were at the hut after Monroe, and the steep section of the trail took us about 2 hours to descend due to the incredibly slippery rocks. Good shoes or boots are a must, and a staff or trekking pole (2 would be too cumbersome) are recommended as well. If not, choose your steps very carefully.
This is my favorite hike so far, and we will be summiting Washington and Franklin by this route soon!

Beautiful hike! The trail itself was great and the views at the summit was also amazing!

Tuesday, March 07, 2017

Best winter summit

Monday, February 20, 2017

One of the best winter hikes in the Whites

Tuesday, June 21, 2016

This was a very scenic, very up, very down, out and back. Ill definitely be back.

Thursday, October 22, 2015

Beautiful views! Great trip up to. hit before the final stretch to Washington.

Sunday, June 11, 2017