Memorial Day Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $14.99
Get Started

Mount Monroe Trail is a 6.7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Twin Mountain, New Hampshire that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, nature trips, and bird watching and is best used from April until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 6.7 miles Elevation Gain: 2,572 feet Route Type: Out & Back

fee

The view of Mt Washington and of the Southern Presidentials is wonderful. The trail is generally level for the first 2 miles at which time you will arrive at the gem pool. The last mile is very steep. Only the last 3/10ths of a mile is very exposed to the wind but in inclement weather that can be too much. Please remember that this is not a good place to hike in the winter. There is a $10 fee per person.

Perfect day! Though I got a nasty sunburn on this one. I decided just going up to Monroe was too short so decided to hit Washington too! Still snow on most of the trail - and the monorail was getting soft on the way down. Memorial Day weekend 2020

Hiked to Mt. Monroe via Ammonoosuc Ravine on Sunday 4/12. there was fresh 1-2 feet of snow waiting beginning in the unplowed parking lot. Snowshoes were a most most of the ascent to avoid postholing. Trail was lightly broken in and was much better on the way down (no slipping down the steep sections). Last .5 mile to lake of the clouds hut was icey packed snow, which spikes worked well on. Overall good conditions if you are prepared with the right equipment. My dog did the whole thing no problem, he loved all the fresh snow everywhere! my phone recorded 7.1 miles and 2900ft gain to the summit of Monroe.

What a day! 70mph winds after getting to Lake of the Clouds hut. The trail was hard packed the whole way so our snowshoes went on a free ride up. I used crampons and my boyfriend made it up with aggressive hillsound microspikes. Beautiful trail and VERY steep after the gem pool. We butt slid down much of the steep section. Other than the winds, it was a beautiful, clear day. Took us less than four hours and you do get spectacular views for such a short hike! We wanted to pair it with Washington but did not trust the wind speeds.

icy

Hard hiking with lots of powder. Did not have snowshoes. Ended up post-holing the whole way. Snow shoes definitely would’ve made it better. Weather not so bad. Surprising amount of pow. Distance on AllTrails not equal to distance on map.

Did an easy little summit of Monroe from Lakes of the Clouds. Very quick out and back 15 mins each way?

Amazing views. One of the pay offs for all the effort put into climbing up Mt Washington, with an easy ridge line hike with amazing views.

I really loved this one! First, don’t park at the Cog. The trailhead parking is not hard to miss, about a half mile before the Cog entrance. $5 there. If you’re like me and don’t usually have cash, there is an ATM at the Cog you can use! Starting from here adds on an extra 1.5 miles or so to an estimated mileage that’s already really off. This was 8 miles for me, though I did a loop down and around the summit too (which was lovely). The first two miles are pretty easy, and after the water crossing with the waterfall in the distance, the trail starts to feel like a neverending staircase. The trail is VERY wet and it doesn’t help that there are several water crossings and water flowing down part of the trail too. I would avoid doing this when it’s icy; I moved pretty slow at times to avoid slipping. Once you get to the hut, it’s a pretty short trek up to the summit. All in all not terribly hard for a presidential.

Eager to get a White Mountain hike in before the weather gets too cold, we picked this trail as it was shorter and it was a beautiful autumn day. Despite the good weather we were rather under prepared for this one. The first ~2 miles are relatively flat and a pleasant trek along the Ammonnoosuc River though rocks were wet and it was muddy. We were hoping it would get drier as we ascended. After passing through the serene pool and waterfall, we started ascending up bigger rocks, many iced over and melting downstream so we really had to move cautiously. I had made the mistake of wearing non waterproof trail sneakers and my feet got completely soaked through while crossing water streams. The conditions were constantly wet and slippery until we finally made it over the treeline where there was higher sun exposure with drier parts. Reached the lake of the clouds then the summit later than planned but the views were breathtaking! The weather up there was surprisingly mild and beautiful which I'm sure is not always the case. As you can imagine, the descent was also very slow moving but luckily we made it down the more dangerous areas and across the gem pool before it really got dark. Made the final 2 miles back in the dark with a flashlight close to 8pm. Overall safer and drier conditions would've made it more fun but it was still quite the adventure and we had a blast! Will definitely plan better for next time - start earlier in the morning, bring waterproof hiking boots, extra socks, trekking poles, etc :)

Encountered three foul plays and took 8-10 initiates. Willy survived but was badly damaged. We successfully and lightly croaked the whole jauner.

Beautiful trail! I wish we read the review about the parking, because the parking at Cog Railway is $10 PER PERSON. We knew we messed up when we started the trail and came across a sign pointing to the USFS parking area. If we can figure out how to get there and if it's open to the public, we will park there next time instead. We hiked after a rainy day. Some spots were damp in the beginning, but it was dry and manageable the further we climbed. I would say that after the first waterfall, the hike gets pretty tough. A lot of big boulders from there until the hut- but don't fret, the hike to Monroe's peak from the hut was easy breezy. We did the ridge to little Monroe, which we confused with Franklin, and back around the Crawford Path and down the Ammonoosuc Ravine Trail. It was worth it, and if we had more time we would have explored the ridge even further. The trail to the hut and back is 4.8 miles, it's another 0.6 to the peak, plus additional mileage if you do part of the ridge. Always fact check the mileage, as AllTrails is typically off. What a great summer hike, but do prepare yourself for the bugs!

Awesome hike today, the last mile is tough, but with a good pace and frequent breaks is doable. Remnant patches of snow still persist on the upper alpine section of the trail.

Mon Sep 24 2018

Beautiful! Hiked on September 22, 2018. We did a longer hike - we started at the parking lot off of Base Road (instead of COG railway) in Thompson and Meserves Purchase, NH (see this trail on 4000footers.com). $5 cash parking. We started at 10:30 am and did the Ammonoosuc Ravine Trail up to Lake of Clouds hut (closed for winter) and got up to top of Monroe at 2:15 pm. The wind was NUTS between Lake of Clouds and top of Monroe but the views from the top were expansive in every direction. You are right next to Washington on one side and on the other side you can see the ridge trail going to Eisenhower. Would be good to have a hat, gloves and an extra layer or two at the top as it was very cold and windy. The first mile of the trail is flat, then you start to climb some step boulders and rocks (next to a stream) and then closer to the alpine zone you start to climb steep slabs on rock. Some of the rock stretches are pretty serious so if it’s being hiked when there’s even a possibility of ice, definitely bring spikes etc. Trail and rocks were a little wet from the night before. We got down to the parking lot at 6:20 pm. Only a few other groups of hikers along the trail. There were a few stream crossings throughout the trail. Think the trail we did was between 7 and 10 miles (phone died).

Mon Aug 27 2018

This was a great hike although it was very difficult. We started at 9:30am and hiked up to the Lakes of the Clouds Hut by 12:30/1pm. We took a break and then hiked up to Mt. Washington. Did not do the peak of Mt. Monroe. The views are incredible and the waterfalls are beautiful! We started hiking back from Mt. Washington at 4pm and made it to the car by 7:45pm. Would definitely not do this hike in bad weather. The terrain can definitely be slippery and tough to navigate. Very sharp inclines with large boulders! My one feedback is regarding this being dog friendly. There were a lot of dogs on the trail and most (like my dog) were unleashed except when we got to the huts. The first 1/3 of the hike was definitely doable for my very fit dog, but it definitely got very difficult for him. By the time we were heading back it was obvious he was in pain and ended up hurting the pads on his paws. There was also blood on the trail when we were hiking back and we suspected it was most likely a dog. It’s a great hike, but would definitely not bring my dog again on this one.

Sun Aug 12 2018

We took this trail down from Monroe after a very rainy day and night. It was very slippery and technically challenging and we consider ourselves capable, experienced hikers. Would do it again but would prefer dry weather.

Sun Jul 08 2018

We hiked from Mt. Washington Cog Railway (starting point is right behind the station, meets the Ammonousic trail) and up to the summit of Mt. Monroe and back down; took us a little over 5 hours. If you do your research on weather conditions, should be manageable; rocks can get slippery at a few spots and it does get windy in the alpine zone. Would recommend using hiking boots on this trail. The views from the summit are beyond spectacular.

Sat Jun 16 2018

Sights are breathtaking.

Sun Apr 08 2018

Hiked the Ammonousic trail toward Mount Monroe April 7, 2018. The trail began gradually with increasing steepness. It had just snowed about 4 inches at the base. As we went up it was necessary to wear crampons because there was ice under the snow. We got as far as Lake of the Clouds hut and decided to quit just short of our goal. The temperature was about 10 degrees and was very windy. Our footprints were being covered with the blowing snow, so since the trail blazed were covered up, it would have been difficult to find our way back. Otherwise it was a great hike. We had fun sliding down the steep parts of the trail on our butts wearing ski pants!

Tue Oct 24 2017

Had such a blast on this one. The first couple miles are gradual, up and down. There are a few water falls, which are gorgeous. We we're lucky to get a clear day. As long as you do your weather research, and are in good shape, you should be able to manage this trail. Rocks can get slippery, and it can get very windy past the Alpine point. Just stay cautious and enjoy! Incredible views.

Sun Oct 01 2017

Windy

Tue Sep 26 2017

Great hike for my first 4,000 footer! Such beautiful views from the top! My only word of advice is to be very cautious on the way down because the rocks are slippery.

Sat Sep 09 2017

An absolutely awesome trail! The trip up will be slow, because if you're like me and my hiking partner you'll constantly be stopping to take pics. The Lakes of the Clouds hut is a great place to stop before heading to the summit of Monroe, and if you started early enough you can head over to Mt Washington afterward. We didn't start early enough, unfortunately. I'm not in the greatest shape but I found the trail easier than I expected, at least on the ascent. It started raining while we were at the hut after Monroe, and the steep section of the trail took us about 2 hours to descend due to the incredibly slippery rocks. Good shoes or boots are a must, and a staff or trekking pole (2 would be too cumbersome) are recommended as well. If not, choose your steps very carefully. This is my favorite hike so far, and we will be summiting Washington and Franklin by this route soon!

Sun Jul 23 2017

Beautiful hike! The trail itself was great and the views at the summit was also amazing!