Monadnock-Sunapee Greenway Trail

Monadnock-Sunapee Greenway Trail is a 48.4 mile moderately trafficked point-to-point trail located near Newbury, New Hampshire that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and trail running.

Distance: 48.4 miles Elevation Gain: 10,088 feet Route Type: Point to Point

Note: The trail description lists this as dog friendly and most of it is, however dogs are not allowed on Monadnock, so the southern 2+ miles are not dog friendly.

Ran this trail self supported a few years ago with two great guys. Started at the base of Sunapee on the North, and descended Monadnock after the summit, which adds a little. Bag drops at highway crossings the day before. Great general store stop in Washington! 14hrs, very scary Monadnock descent to the car in cold rain after 49miles.

10 ten miles of it today.great trail

A nice hike as a first longer hike. The shelters were great. I really appreciate the trail maintainers. The trail offers a nice mix of experiences with woods roads, gravel roads, summts and trails. The bugs weren't bad in July. The trail description lists this as dog friendly and most of it is, however dogs are not allowed on Monadnock, so the southern 2+ miles are not dog friendly.

This was a great experience for a first longer trail. The trail has a nice mix of terrain with some great views in it also. There is some road walking involved but much of what there is is on quiet country backroads that are scenic in their own right. The shelters were well maintained. We did experience black flies in apocalyptic proportions at Crider Shelter, but other than that it was a great hike.

if you're looking for something to start your outdoor passion but want to extend it for a weekend or longer. This trail offers a lot of beauty. Theres Some decent p.u.d.'s (pointless ups and downs) but thats expected. Not to mention it makes what your doing worth it. Especially when you come up over some beautiful pastures with views from both point a and b. Monadnock was definitely the tough part but once you get that out of the way its smooth sailing. So embrace the suck and get out there. Trail is marked well, and only really mud up top of the couple pastures.

Monday, April 23, 2018

I hiked this trail in the late summer of 2016 going south to north. I'm about to embark on my second trip (Spring 2018). What I like is the mix of hiking conditions (mountain trails, forest roads and small town roads) and the opportunity to get in a lot of miles on a multi-day hike. Each of these settings has something to offer . Also, the trail was very well blazed and maintained. The map and guide are excellent. I stayed in shelters two nights and that worked out just right. The wild blueberries on Pitcher Mountain were amazing and plentiful. The transportation logistics are tricky - neither end is close to anything. This isn't a remote backwoods or mountain experience but has many virtues.

Friday, October 13, 2017

I loved this trail. A lot of people may drop a star for the lack of big summits or the areas of road walking but I really enjoyed being able to just get into a meditative walking mode. It was so peaceful and I only saw one other hiker on the trail once I left Manadnock -- and I did it on a holiday weekend! Go out there, take your time and just enjoy the walk. As long as you know what you are getting in to, you will love it.

Monday, September 04, 2017

3 1/2 days on trail. What can I say? Shelters are abundant and well maintained, trail provides a feeling of seclusion. Saw 4 other hikers utilizing this trail while I was out,I enjoyed this hike and will be back!

Wednesday, July 12, 2017

I have hiked this trail twice now and I will likely do it again before the year is over. Hiking south bound is the way to go because Mt Monadnock is a far better ending to the trail than Mt Sunapee. I was always able to sleep in a shelter, there are quite a few along the trail.

Monday, July 03, 2017

Saw a small black bear about a half mile past Old Marlborough Rd when hiking here in July.

Monday, June 19, 2017

I hiked Monadnock-Sunapee Greenway in early Summer of 2017. I used a guidebook published by Monadnock-Sunapee Greenway Trail Club as well as their "super map" that shows water sources along the way. I'm a slow hiker, so I planned to cover the trail in 5 days. The trail does not have the same views as you might get in High Sierras but it was a great escape from the crowds - over the whole week I saw only 2 other guys doing MSG on day 1, and other than that I had the trail all to myself. I guess it may be a bit more busy on weekends but as long as you get away from Mount Monadnock you should be able to get plenty of quiet time in the woods. Since I was hiking alone I had to work out the logistics a bit. I found Tippicanoe Campground (a.k.a. Rand Pond Campground) in Goshen, NH that is a walking distance from Mt. Sunapee and I was able to leave my car there for a very reasonable fee - I preferred to use a busy campground as I thought my car would be safer there. Since I was arriving in the afternoon, I made arrangements with Flying Aces Taxi to drive me to Gilson Pond Campground in Monadnock State Park. I stayed there Sunday night (almost all campers left by then) and started up my hike on Monday morning. Over next few days stayed at Spiltoir Shelter, Crider Forest Shelter, George Washington Shelter, Steve Galpin Shelter at Moose Lookout finally reaching Mt. Sunapee around Friday noon and then I descended on Goshen Trail to Tippicanoe Campground where I stayed overnight before driving home. There are some viewpoints along the way but you should expect to spend most of your time hiking in the woods. I did not really have any problems finding water along the way. I took too much food with me as I got to eat at Washington General Store on the 3rd day; I also bought a replacement "super map" there as I lost mine somewhere on the trail. MSG was well maintained pretty much everywhere, and so kudos to all trail volunteers who help make our hiking experience better!

Tuesday, October 08, 2013

The lookout is amazing! On the trail look for red blazes that lead off to the lookout on the left (if coming from Lake Solitude).

Friday, June 20, 2008

The Cliff Walk was excellent! Lots of varied terrain with a wooden ladder, rock scrambles, flatter areas, and vegetation ranging from pine forest with needles underfoot to subalpine with stunted trees and bushes and then deciduous trees . There were nice outlooks along the top of the cliff, and of course a great view when we got to the very top. We took the White Arrow trail down because it was quick, but next time I think we'll scout around for a different route down that isn't as eroded and straight.

Monday, August 07, 2006

fabulous hike - the trail was a little crowded, but very well worth it. the peak offers one of the most beautiful views Ive seen.

recorded Recording - Sep 15, 02:22 PM