Monadnock-Sunapee Greenway Trail

Monadnock-Sunapee Greenway Trail is a 48.4 mile moderately trafficked point-to-point trail located near Newbury, New Hampshire that features a lake. The trail is rated as difficult and primarily used for hiking and trail running. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Point to Point

I hiked this trail in the late summer of 2016 going south to north. I'm about to embark on my second trip (Spring 2018). What I like is the mix of hiking conditions (mountain trails, forest roads and small town roads) and the opportunity to get in a lot of miles on a multi-day hike. Each of these settings has something to offer . Also, the trail was very well blazed and maintained. The map and guide are excellent. I stayed in shelters two nights and that worked out just right. The wild blueberries on Pitcher Mountain were amazing and plentiful. The transportation logistics are tricky - neither end is close to anything. This isn't a remote backwoods or mountain experience but has many virtues.

Friday, October 13, 2017

I loved this trail. A lot of people may drop a star for the lack of big summits or the areas of road walking but I really enjoyed being able to just get into a meditative walking mode. It was so peaceful and I only saw one other hiker on the trail once I left Manadnock -- and I did it on a holiday weekend! Go out there, take your time and just enjoy the walk. As long as you know what you are getting in to, you will love it.

Monday, September 04, 2017

3 1/2 days on trail. What can I say? Shelters are abundant and well maintained, trail provides a feeing of seclusion. Saw 4 other hikers utilizing this trail while I was out,I enjoyed this hike and will be back!

Wednesday, July 12, 2017

I have hiked this trail twice now and I will likely do it again before the year is over. Hiking south bound is the way to go because Mt Monadnock is a far better ending to the trail than Mt Sunapee. I was always able to sleep in a shelter, there are quite a few along the trail.

Monday, July 03, 2017

Saw a small black bear about a half mile past Old Marlborough Rd when hiking here in July.

Tuesday, October 08, 2013

The lookout is amazing! On the trail look for red blazes that lead off to the lookout on the left (if coming from Lake Solitude).

recorded Day 2