Monadnock Mountain Via Marlboro Trail

Monadnock Mountain Via Marlboro Trail is a 3.8 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Jaffrey, New Hampshire that offers the chance to see wildlife. The trail is rated as difficult and primarily used for hiking.

This trail takes great physical and mental concentration, especially on the way down but the views are well worth it. I wouldn't recommend this trail under wet conditions as the rocks were slippery just from having to get my boots wet from rain the night before and walking through puddles.

4/28/2018 started around 915am. parking lot only had two cars when we arrived. there was a lot of snow and ice as you got to higher elevation. Be careful!! once you got above the tree line the snow and ice was all melted. Careful though, because there is a lot of huge pools of water and mud, which you will have to circumvent. Be especially careful going down, it is VERY slick, you will easily slip. When we got back at around 1:30, the parking lot was filled passed capacity.

I love this trail!

really nice way to hike monadnock. i think there were only 3 of us on the west side of the mt today.

Marked very well with arrows, dots and white signs, loved this trail! Super fun and interesting! Would recommend hiking sticks for the descent.

Tuesday, August 01, 2017

Great hike but be prepared has some challenging spots.

Monday, July 24, 2017

I must say that this trail should be classified as hard or difficult because that is what it was! Took two hours to ascend and two hours coming down. I am not an advanced hiker, I'd say I am an intermediate beginner and I did have difficulty with climbing some of the rocks (I'm also 5'1, for reference). It was however, exhilarating and challenging on all fronts (mentally and physically). I would recommend this to intermediate hikers and up. However, if you want to take on the challenge, do it!

Monday, July 10, 2017

Great hike it was definitely harder then it says. View from the top was well worth the pain from all the climbing.

Thursday, July 06, 2017

This trail really made my nads nock

Monday, October 24, 2016

I would rate it as difficult, especially today. Snow flurries about two thirds of the way up and 60mph winds on top! Quite adventurous, but worth it.

Thursday, September 29, 2016

Great trail, way less traffic than main trails.

Sunday, July 31, 2016

Great views from the top third of the trail.

Monday, July 18, 2016

We hiked this trail on a Sunday in mid-July. The parking lot is by the trail head, just off of Shaker Farm Road (a dirt/gravel road).
The beginning of the ascent is moderately steep and proceeds through a forest before opening up to larger rocks. Once you get about halfway up the trail, you begin to glimpse views of distant mountain ranges to the west, and eventually Monadnock's summit to the east. These great views become more expansive the further up you go. The last several minutes of the hike to the summit are pretty mild, with large rocks and some wildflowers. The trail is well-marked.
Although we didn't see many others on the trail itself, there were >30 people at the summit at noon, many of them likely having come up the popular White Dot/Cross trails. Here, I recommend taking a walk around the summit to see the mountain from all sides! There was a nice breeze on the summit, a few degrees cooler than the temperature at the bottom of the mountain.
The descent was somewhat difficult, especially at the beginning, requiring the use of both hands and feet.
Overall, the hike took the four of us a total of 3.5 hours. I highly recommend this moderate/difficult hike. Great views from the summit and the trail!

Sunday, May 15, 2016

Moderate/Difficult Trail based on hiking experience. A great day hike. We did the Dublin Trail which crosses and joins the Marlborough Trail near the summit of Mt. Monadnock. It was a tip from a local in the area after we realized Mt. Monadnock state park doesn't allow dogs. The Dublin Trail is off of Old Dublin Road/Old Troy Road and the best part: IT'S FREE! We took our Golden Retriever, Romeo, up with us and he did exceptionally well until a few parts at the very summit which were too steep for our four legged friend to scale. Luckily, by that time we were near the top and above the tree line so we could blaze our own path that was dog friendly, without losing sight of the summit. I HIGHLY suggest this hike as a great go to day hike. Plus, the Dublin Trail is less trafficked so you get more time with nature as opposed to hiking up with a bunch of strangers one after another. We are experienced hikers and it took us 2 hours up and 1 hour down with a nice rest/photo-op at the top.
**Important: Pack VERY warm layers for the top. It is extremely windy at the summit and a clear temperature drop. It may seem stupid on a warm day at the bottom, but once you're at the summit you'll be glad you do."

Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Would agree that this is a moderate trail. Plenty of steep areas that required some basic scaling. Enjoyed it, will most likely be heading up it again.

Saturday, August 03, 2013

This hike is perfectly described as "moderate". The wind felt great above treeline, whoever maintains the trail did a really nice job! Next up; Spellman.

Thursday, March 29, 2012

Less congested and great way to the top of Monadnock. Pay close attention to the trail markers coming down in the rock outcroppings.

Friday, September 02, 2011

Awesome for day or night! Challenging but rewarding!!

Sunday, July 30, 2017