Manning Trail

Manning Trail is a 4.2 mile out and back trail located near Bristol, New Hampshire that features a river. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 4.2 miles Elevation Gain: 1,669 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Hiked with my 11 and 7 year olds. We've hiked west side of the mountain a bunch of times but I much perfered the Eastern slopes. The Manning is not technical like the Holt but is more difficult than the West Ridge trails. I would suggest doing a complete loop. Manning to Mogwlis to Clark to the Clark cut off to the Holt and back to the AMC lodge. The Clark is not nearly as well marked but it would be difficult to get lost. We actually didn't take the cut off but descended mostly from a ski trail (I forget it's name) whiched shaved a few minutes.

One additional clarification. Manning Trail does NOT take you to the summit, only to Firescrew. The short Mowgli's section is 0.5 miles to the summit. The views on both cardigan and Firescrew are spectacular.

Awesome hike. Strenuous for sure and need to be in shape with good grippy footwear. Very fun rock scrambles and incredible views. This is a climb for reasonably experienced hikers but not a daunting challenge. Hike with my 13 yo son who scrambled better than I and had no problems. Definitely a trail for dry conditions. Wet days might be much more challenging.

not a bad trail

my 2 labs and I took our annual trillium hike. many people miss this pretty little flower that grows along all the trails here at Cardigan. a little windy on the peaks but a nice morning hike.

Tuesday, August 21, 2018

Great hike to the waterfall with my sons who are 5 and 8. They loved the challenge and getting across the stream. At the falls we rested and played. Water was too chilly to get in all the way but that’s expected. Super fun day. We are staying at the amc cardigan lodge.

Friday, December 08, 2017

hiked to firescew on December 7th with Shea (my dog) via manning trail. do not recommend this trail this late in the season without crampons! serious ice obstacles!

Wednesday, November 01, 2017

Excellent hike (one of the tougher moderates I’ve seen on All Trails) - got off the trail a few times when we were focused on the climb and not the markers.

Friday, September 08, 2017

Excellent hike on Manning Trail today with my dog, Pearl. Beautiful, steep in some places. Great view from the top. Looks like camping at the AMC sites here would be a blast. Grateful for the yellow trail markers!

Tuesday, May 23, 2017

Great hike. Did the Manning > Firescrew > Mowglis Trail > Mt Cardigan > Clark Trail > Holt - Clark Cutoff and then the Holt Trail back to the lodge loop. Some great views on the top half of Manning and all the way to the summit.

Monday, May 08, 2017

Monday, January 16, 2017

Did a nice loop hike from the AMC Cardigan Lodge back in August of 2016. Manning > Firescrew > Mowglis Trail > Mt Cardigan > Clark Trail > Holt - Clark Cutoff and then the Holt Trail back to the lodge. The trail from Manning to Firewscew as beautiful, serene and a perfect woods hike until just before the summit. My wife, daughter who was 7 at the time and both our dogs. We had a late start (1pm) and saw only a few people on the trail until we reached Cardigan. Cardigan was a gorgeous open summit and only slightly crowded. After a short stay, we returned to the lodge. This is one of my family's favorite hikes. The trails are relativley quiet and very woodsy without having a great deal of obstacles. They were also very dog friendly. The AMC lodge is a nice place to stop and visit and they also sell maps of the area. Highly recommend

Sunday, May 22, 2016

A moderate trail with some roots and stone steps in places but mostly very nice. Plenty of spring crossings to water your dog. top part is granite slopes which might be slippery when wet but are perfectly fine when dry. Much easier way to go than the Holt Trail, especially with dog.

Thursday, August 20, 2015

Good choice to the summit of cardigan.. Also summits firescrew joins up with mowglis trail.. We did this at night... Was awesome!

recorded Manning Trail