Main Trail (Blue) to Mount Major is a 2.8 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Alton, New Hampshire that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from April until September.

While I was in the area, to drop off my daughter for college in Boston, I treated myself with a couple of hikes in New Hampshire. All I can say is, that 2 days of hike in the area it’s not enough, have to go back soon! Did the blue trail up, and the yellow down. Amazing view!

NIGHT HIKE - I had not hiked Mount Major since I was a child, so it was almost a brand new experience for me. The erosion on the Main Trail is CRAZY - like walking with tree roots at eye level in some places. I always like to include in my reviews that I still consider myself to be a pretty novice hiker, in moderate shape with some sports injuries (knee, ankles). Some guidebooks grade Major as EASY and that's not 100% the case. It's MOSTLY EASY, until you get to a handful of slabs at the end. Me and my pup (who is way more agile than me) had to navigate portions very slowly and carefully to make it to the top - and I had to resort to some rock climbing knowledge in order to do so.

All in all though - this was a BLAST to hike in the dark. I know that it's a popular spot, so it was super fun to have the summit all to ourselves. The weather was perfect and we enjoyed some hot chocolate at the top!

Nice hiking trail.

It really was not young family friendly. My family had hiked this before and the conditions over the past several years deteriorated remarkably. Actually could not even relax until we hit the summit due to the trail hazards. Mount Major Erosion!

Took the Main Trail up and the Brook
Trail down. Fabulous! Glad I had good hiking boots as the footing was tricky.

Quick little hike with a great view of Alton Bay and Winny. Hiked with my dog and we moved pretty quickly - about 45min to the top.

Lots of graffiti, rude tourists and trash everywhere. Nice view of the lake but there are lots of other places nearby without the crowds, noise and trash.

Starts off easy, gets progressively steeper until there is some rock scrambling near the end, but nothing too difficult. You start getting views about 1.2 miles up, and the panorama at the summit is incredible. I would recommend a different trail for the descent, such as the Brook Trail.

A great winter hike we did the main trail (blue) and the orange trail, took about 2 hours with snow, microspikes needed in some areas. Yaktracks weren't enough on the sheer ice.

Sunday, November 26, 2017

Not sure what happened to the gps but the mileage is wrong.

Hiked with my 5 and 9 year old. The parking lot is almost always full spring through early fall which is why we went up at the end of November. The trail was still busy. We saw people ending their hike as we started up around 10 am. We saw people through out the trail and summit and we saw people starting their trek as we were leaving at 2pm. Now imagine that when its not in the lower 30's with heavy wind.

For as often as this trail gets used I was surprised at its difficulty level. This trail really is moderate. It is by no means easy. Completely do-able but not a simple walk in the forest. I wouldn't recommend it for anyone younger then 5 or 6, or for anyone really out of shape.

The first .5 miles are a steady incline with a brief flat section then back to incline for another .5 miles and finally a full scramble for the last .25 miles.

We had ice on all the flat rock faces and the scramble portions. There were sections where we had to go "off trail" and walk in parallel with the blazed section to avoid ice. My 9 year old who never needs help needed assistance in some sections. I'm sure this wouldnt matter in a warmer month.

Over all its a great half day hike with a pretty good pay off at the peak. I would choose the trails in the Ossipee range (Mt. Roberts, Bald Knob, etc...) across the lake if you're looking for better views of the lake. You'll also encounter far less people.

Saturday, October 21, 2017

Beautiful views, especially in the fall!! Trail is a bit crowded with other hikers.

Monday, October 16, 2017

Saturday, October 07, 2017

Be careful going down to get the right trail. I took Orange Trail instead and WOW

Sunday, October 01, 2017

Excellent views from the top. Trail condition is pretty rough. Lots of exposed roots and loose rocks.

Monday, August 07, 2017