Main Trail (Blue) to Mount Major

Main Trail (Blue) to Mount Major is a 2.8 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Alton, New Hampshire that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from April until September.

Lots of graffiti, rude tourists and trash everywhere. Nice view of the lake but there are lots of other places nearby without the crowds, noise and trash.

Starts off easy, gets progressively steeper until there is some rock scrambling near the end, but nothing too difficult. You start getting views about 1.2 miles up, and the panorama at the summit is incredible. I would recommend a different trail for the descent, such as the Brook Trail.

A great winter hike we did the main trail (blue) and the orange trail, took about 2 hours with snow, microspikes needed in some areas. Yaktracks weren't enough on the sheer ice.

Not sure what happened to the gps but the mileage is wrong.

Hiked with my 5 and 9 year old. The parking lot is almost always full spring through early fall which is why we went up at the end of November. The trail was still busy. We saw people ending their hike as we started up around 10 am. We saw people through out the trail and summit and we saw people starting their trek as we were leaving at 2pm. Now imagine that when its not in the lower 30's with heavy wind.

For as often as this trail gets used I was surprised at its difficulty level. This trail really is moderate. It is by no means easy. Completely do-able but not a simple walk in the forest. I wouldn't recommend it for anyone younger then 5 or 6, or for anyone really out of shape.

The first .5 miles are a steady incline with a brief flat section then back to incline for another .5 miles and finally a full scramble for the last .25 miles.

We had ice on all the flat rock faces and the scramble portions. There were sections where we had to go "off trail" and walk in parallel with the blazed section to avoid ice. My 9 year old who never needs help needed assistance in some sections. I'm sure this wouldnt matter in a warmer month.

Over all its a great half day hike with a pretty good pay off at the peak. I would choose the trails in the Ossipee range (Mt. Roberts, Bald Knob, etc...) across the lake if you're looking for better views of the lake. You'll also encounter far less people.

Beautiful views, especially in the fall!! Trail is a bit crowded with other hikers.

Be careful going down to get the right trail. I took Orange Trail instead and WOW

Excellent views from the top. Trail condition is pretty rough. Lots of exposed roots and loose rocks.

Monday, September 05, 2016