Learn more

Magalloway Mountain is a 2.1 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Pittsburg, New Hampshire that offers scenic views. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 2.1 miles Elevation Gain: 830 feet Route Type: Loop

Hiked the bob cat trail in September while some friends and I were camping at lake Francis. Couple of trees down but nothing too bad. A lot of fun. Amazing view

We hiked up the Coot Trail and down the Bobcat Trail. The Bobcat Trail has numerous blowdowns but you can get around them. While you are on Magalloway you have to check out the cliff trail! Do not leave the summit without doing this.

Definitely recommend! We went up the steep Coot trail came down Bobcat!

Pretty steep uphill the whole way, the view is worth it though! The drive to get to the trail is about 25 min off road and pretty rocky, I would not advise a car to be driven. Fun trail for an active pup!

Short but steep the entire way, good 360 views at the top of the fire tower. Picnic table near the tower if you feel like sitting down for lunch or a snack. I somehow missed the lookout point that others have mentioned and posted pictures of, so a little bummed about that (drove 4.5 hours from MA so don’t know if I’ll be back). My Kia Forte definitely earned her dirt road street cred trying to get to the trailhead though...if you drive a lowered/2WD vehicle and are at all concerned about taking it down a rough dirt road for three miles that is only a single car’s width in a couple of spots, you might want to park at the end of the street and hike those three miles in.

great. fire tower at top. 360 views. dad was there. do not strip birch bark. be happy. loving the day.

Uphill the entire way but the view is incredible.

great views from tower and along a few paths at the top. road there is long and you wondering where you're going, so don't give up! it's worth it!

Nice hike, it’s a constant incline going up.

It's a fun trail, I usually do Coot up and down. I really enjoy the views from the outcrop and on top of the fire tower. It's a direct steep trail but lots of fun. One blow down that hasn't been cleared, but still very passable. We brought our dog on it and he had a blast, tons of things to sniff. I actually proposed to my wife on top of the fire tower, she even said yes.

Fri Sep 28 2018

Prefect distance, did the loop. It’s pretty steady incline. Alittle look out past the picnic table. The dirt road to get there seems like it goes on forever

Fri Sep 14 2018

Great hike! Make sure you have a decent vehicle. The road getting to the trail head is pretty rocky and narrow at times. Otherwise, the hike wasn’t bad and great views at the top. Will do again next time we’re up!

Mon Sep 03 2018

Une vue magnifique en haut de la tour.

Tue Jul 31 2018

We were unsure if our Fiat would make it to the trail head, but the roads weren't bad! Once at the trail head, we chose to go up Coot Trail. It was a steep and rocky climb to the top, but the tree coverage kept us shaded and cooler. Once we got to the top, we were greeted by the fire tower and beautiful views. The climb up wasn't easy, but the payoff was worth it. There's a path nearish to the picnic table on the right-hand side that leads to a ledge with some great views. If you're not afraid of heights, you can also climb the fire tower for more amazing views. We took the Bobcat Trail back down. It was definitely much more wet and slick than Cooter Trail. The rocks are abundant and slippery, so take caution as it's a steep descent. It was nice, however, to be able to try both trails!

Sun Jul 22 2018

Did this one on Friday, 7/20. Once you turn off of Rte 3 you travel 8.5 miles on what appears to be a logging road. The first half of that ride we travelled at about 30mph. Once you turn, the dirt road narrows to one lane where we travelled an average of 18mph! We did meet a couple of cars and much to our surprise there were 6 cars parked at the trailhead. We went up Bobcat because that was the only trail marked. It was a steady ascent. We came down Coot which comes out right near the toilet in the parking area. Coot is much shorter and I guess more steep? There was one big blow down about 3/4 of the way up Bobcat, but there was a fairly decent “path” around the left of it. The view from the fire tower was nothing short of amazing!

Thu Jul 05 2018

Great mountain! Very rocky and pretty steep in some spots. Amazing 360° from the top of the fire tower.

Sun Jun 10 2018

This is an amazing hike! Its not as steep as people say, it is but its not treacherous. There were a couple trees down on the trail you just had to walk around them but once you get to the top its completely 360 degree views of the mountains and lakes all around you, you can also see into canada and vermont!

Sat Oct 07 2017

Lovely view at the top. We did the trail today up and down the Co on trail because we weren't sure if bobcat came out at the same lot.

Fri Sep 01 2017

Enjoyed the trail with my family. Had a great experience even with the weather being damp and muggy. Walking sticks help going down..

Thu Aug 24 2017

Did this hike today with my wife and our 2 daughters 2 and 4. Our 4 year old was a beast on this hike. Up and down the mountain with no assistance so proud of her. Met a couple others along the way and really had a great day.

Thu Jun 01 2017

Wonderful trail, didn't meet one person. Wide trail. We hiked Coon trail up and Bobcat down . Both end up in small parking lot with outhouse.

Mon Jul 25 2016

We had a great time with this hike. the veiw from the look out tower was amazing. me my husband my 3 year old and our 6m lab took a little longer to get up there about 50min. But it was totally worth it. Both trails are very beautiful. coot was quicker but bobcat trail had some look out trails with some views you can't get from coot. Totally suggest doing both. once you are out on coot you will how it's crazy to think jeeps use to drive up this path.

Mon Jun 06 2016

Great family hike.

Wed Sep 16 2015

It was a great short trail up in 37 down in 30 was told to go to the lookout talis field after i came home!!! so dont forget to explore on top to see everywhere!!!!