Lonesome Lake Trail

Lonesome Lake Trail is a 3.1 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Lincoln, New Hampshire that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, camping, and snowshoeing and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

beach

Directions from Lincoln or Franconia, NH: This trail is located in the southern most parking area of Lafayette Campground which is located on I-93 about midway between the towns of Lincoln and Franconia.

05.16.2018 - Hiked up to the lonesome lake via the basin cascade brook trail. The river crossing was difficult. We ended up bushwhacking to find a good place to cross. After about 25 minutes off trail we ended up taking our boots off and wading across and got back on the trail. There was some snow in places. However, it wasn’t really a problem. No micro spikes needed. We ended up going down via the lonesome lake trail to Lafayette place and hiked the pemi trail 2 Miles back to the basin.

nice trail, great views, lake is frozen
steep hike at two spots

We did this back in late September. Nice and easy trail, this was to complement our day on the franconia ridge. It's a nice stroll by the lake, but not spectacular.

The ascent is moderately steep, but it is fairly level at the end. We did this in February, we walked straight across the lake. The views aren’t fabulous, as you are surrounded by mountains that are taller than you, but it is still pretty and unique.

do this. every one who is able should do this. so.amazing. if you do it in winter go into the middle of the lake and look all around you. and if you're able, do the kinsmans. it's beautiful. went in late February and didn't need snow shoes because the trail was packed down. but did need cramp ons

The trail at this time of year was very snowy. Combined with a steep incline, you definitely need some sort of crampons or snow shoes.
Views were amazing going up and even better at the top. The lake was frozen enough to walk across, which make for cool photos.
Definitely recommend.

We went up the Lonesome lake trail and down the Dodge Cut-off. Very mellow. Didn't need snowshoes, only our foot spikes. We passed a family headed up to stay overnight at the hut.

Awesome snowshoeing! Lake frozen so you can walk on it. Visit the hut, great people.

Great easy winter hike. Snow is packed on the trail. No need to use snow shoe. It was nice to cross the lake and take a break at the hut!

we did it January 28great footing temps in the high 30sgreat hike

Love it! It’s better to hike with crampons than to snowshoe in the winter since it is usually packed down due to heavy travelers

Hiked to lonesome lake hut with my son a bit strenuous for me but a walk in the park for him all in all it was well worth it the experience and the views was great

Moderate hike. Nice lake at the top for swimming in the summer. The hut had food and cold lemonade. Pretty crowded in the summer, but fun and worth it.

Unique hike. Not to be missed. Stayed in lean-to at top. Last hiked in 1990. Took a group of teen and younger kids. Hard hike, but they enjoyed it.

Unplanned and Unknown about this trail, stared as a small walk but it felt to be harder. Decided not to return did complete and the view and experience is great. Really worth.
Suggestions: Carry some energy bars and water to have on its way. Having the walking sticks is nice to have.
I did it during fall and loved the fall experience
Check weather

This was amazing. Trail was fairly easy but the lake at the end was gorgeous. Perk was having bathrooms and a place
To relax before turning around

Way harder then I thought it would be I’d say it’s moderate/ hard go early morning if you crave solitude hiking poles will help if your like me just starting out when you stop hearing traffic you’re near the top it’s easer HAPPY TRAILS

Great hike! Middle of trail going up was more aggressive than other parts but definitely worth it! Cozy little pond at the top along with a hut. Food and snacks are available for purchase once there.

Moderate and civilized. Bathrooms at top and Food! Fun with great diversity. Something for everyone. Saw groups of school children with packs heading up for a few day stay at the hut. My kind of classroom. Recommended.

It was raining a bit when I started so there weren't a ton of people. When I was going down, I passed at least 30 people because the rain had just stopped. It felt OK for me to do in the light rain as long as I was careful (and I consider myself very cautious/ nervous). It's a steep climb up but really pretty at the top. Part of the path around the lake involves walking on log paths over swampy areas. To be clear about the view, when you get to the top around the lake, you will be looking up at mountains behind the lake, not looking out and down at a view from the top (in case that's what you want).

Somewhat steep at parts, but the views of the lake are amazing and a nice reward for all the hard work. Very dog friendly, but the walk around the lake can get muddy, if that bothers you. Definitely check out Lonesome Lake hut!

Such a great hike! My boyfriend and I completed it in about 2 hours, round trip. Incredibly rewarding view at the top and a lovely hut to relax, refill water, and use the bathroom if need be. :)

So incredibly gorgeous! Great workout on the way up rewarded with such incredible beauty and peacefulness. I could've/should've done the lake loop several times before leaving, it was that perfect.

nice

beautiful

Not sure which trail I did, but all I can say was it was a freakin hike and a half. I'm not a super experienced hiker and hiking up to the hut at the top was tiring, but so worth it once I was to the top. Gorgeous views and it was a perfect day.
Edit: It was called the Lonesome Lake trail. :)

Great hike. It was harder (more steep and rocky) than I expected but totally doable especially considering that it is not a very far distance. Just wear the right shoes! We hiked with our dog and our baby in a backpack. It was a beautiful lake and I loved the lake loop! Also note that it's a pretty busy hike.

Beautiful lake and a great place to stop and have a snack from your backpack, while enjoying clear waters.