Lonesome Lake Trail is a 3.1 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Lincoln, New Hampshire that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, camping, and snowshoeing and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 3.1 miles Elevation Gain: 1,026 feet Route Type: Loop

beach

This trail gets steep and rocky, but it is worth it to see the beautiful Lonesome Lake. Along the lake the trail is grassy and easy going. Be sure to check out the nearby Lonesome Lake Hut where you can reserve a room and have a nice family meal.

Last weekend started at basin and wife and I had to take off the boots twice for a River Crossing to stay in line with the trail markers. We had lunch outside the closed AMC hut. From there we took the .3mi lonesome lake trail to Lafayette campground and had a leisurely 2 mile hike along the bike path back to basin. We didn’t feel like heading back the way we came and taking the boots off again. If you want to take little ones just start from Lafayette campground for a much quicker trip to the lake.

icy

My family and I hiked this trail today and it was beautiful. It’s definitely a lot of uphill, but not terribly steep. There is some ice towards the top, but my trail runners were fine (no micro spikes needed).

icy

My boyfriend and I did this trail back at the end of March (3/28 according to the pics in my phone). It was still very much winter there. Alot of snow and ice. This was about 2 weeks into the pandemic and we saw an uptick of people on this trail than you would normally see. We saw people in sneakers and a light shirt going up and a very pregnant woman in sneakers and leggings. It was a pretty warm day near 60 but they were definitely not dressed for the conditions in the moutains. We were quite astonished how unprepared people looked for the conditions. Nevertheless we enjoyed the hike and the gorgeous view at the lake where we sat and had lunch. We then did the trek around the lake before going back down. I cant wait to go back to see this trail in the summer months!

icy

Great hike, but it’s not for the faint of heart past Lonesome Lake up to Kinsman Pond, North Kinsman Summit, and South Peak Kinsman. I don’t recommend you bring your dog up Kinsman Ridge trail or Fishin’ Jimmy trail, personally. There are too many steep rocky, snowy, and icy areas - it’d be too dangerous for kids too, in my opinion. I’d recommend crampons and you definitely had onto tree branches in some areas for support. I took Kinsman Ridge Trail over time Cannon, but don’t recommend it, especially if alone. The trail is a bit washed out and it’s pretty isolated and very muddy and snowy. Overall, great hike. Definitely challenging!

Hiked this trail around the same time last year - more ice/snow this year once we got toward the top. Perfect day. Started around 9:30 - done by 12:15 w/ break up top at the lake.

The lake was fantastic - the incline definitely had us winded but the view when you first get to the top and again from across the lake were both picture perfect. Parking was a bit difficult (the shuttles aren’t running) but we managed. Go into it with some patience. We got to the top and sat down for lunch around noon and by the time we left there were several groups/couples waiting for a spot on the dock (like I said, awesome view) so go on the early side if possible. Some snow still present but we were fine with our boots; trekking poles definitely would have helped on the way down. Enjoy!

Did this on 5/21. Could have used micro spikes 3/4 of the way up but didn’t put them on and was fine! Great hike all around. Pretty steady incline the whole time but absolutely doable if you take breaks! The lake is gorgeous and it’s so fantastic seeing one of the AMC Huts!

Great little hike - microspikes still useful right now, but could do without them. Solid uphill to start - lake is beautiful and very peaceful with a great view of the surrounding mountains.

icy

what a perfect day. we had the place to ourselves all morning and no bugs! a great and easy to follow trail. pretty good incline the entire way. icy about a mile up so bring spikes! the trail around the lake to the hut is one big monorail so beware of post holes!

icy

This has to be one of my favorite hikes of all time , short , sweet and spectacular !! Did this yesterday about 3/4 of the way up ice so micro spikes went on AMAZING DAY !!! Just remember this is nature so when you get to the lake be quiet it echos all around !!!

icy

My husband and I hiked this trail the other day. Pretty steep at some points but doable. Really icy at the top so the microspikes definitely helped. Our dogs loved this trail. Gorgeous views at the top.

icy

Just hiked this trail today...gets pretty icy on the ascent up to the lake so if you have microspikes definitely use them. It’s tough without them but doable.

icy

Trail was beautiful with the fresh snow, the Lonesome Lake hut was closed but there are benches that you can enjoy your snacks on. Cascade brook trail and Fishin Jimmy Trail were amazing! Freezing so don’t forget the winter gear. Micrsopikes were very helpful.

icy

The lonesome lake trail loop is beautiful. It's a bit snowy as expected this time of year, didnt need the spikes but they would have been welcomed with open arms. Views are lovely, trail is clearly marked. The first part of the trail is definitely sneaks up on you...the elevation gain happens quick, the remainder of the loop is fairly flat. Enjoy, stay safe, happy hiking.