Lonesome Lake Trail is a 3.1 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Lincoln, New Hampshire that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, camping, and snowshoeing and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

beach

Directions from Lincoln or Franconia, NH: This trail is located in the southern most parking area of Lafayette Campground which is located on I-93 about midway between the towns of Lincoln and Franconia.

The high elevation is moderate to climb for sure but the lake at the center of the mountain is breathtaking and the loop around the lake is a nice break with level ground walking across wooden boards. At a fork parkway around the loop we took a right instead of a left around the lake, do not do that! It turns into a hard hike with high elevations. We turned around when the air got thin. Just keep left following the signs to the hut. Our little dog was with us and he loved every minute of this hike just as much as my boyfriend and I did.

Some heavy breathing going up rocks but moderately easy and well maintained, we even ended up coming down an off path water runoff and landed back on one of the cannon trails

The reviews about this trail are pretty fair. Sharing my different experience: The weather forecast for our hike showed rain. It started raining as soon as we got to the lake, so we spent lunchtime in the hut. The lake was completely covered in clouds about half an hour later. We were happy to have seen the lake before the clouds rolled in, because we couldn’t see anything by the time we left!

I’d rate it a harder moderate due to the rocky nature going up in the second half, but it’s so worth it making it to the top. Lake is serene and beautiful, views are fantastic and the hut is a great place to stop for a rest and snack.

Great trail well traveled and fun to hike , the hut at the top on the lake is perfect for having lunch before continuing on. The ducks are so friendly on the lake and the views are so gorgeous especially in fall !

We did this trail today and lost a navy blue sweatshirt that says SJP soccer. If you find it please email me. Thanks! LUSKCT@gmail.com

Thank you!

We're super slow hikers and this trail took us 3 hours from our camp at Lafayette Place. It's an incline for the first hour and a half and levels out around the lake. Big steps, maybe a scramble or two, but totally worth it. The view of the mountains from the lake was absolutely beautiful. Very chilly late September, so remember a jacket! :)

I'd rate it MODERATE HARD getting lake. EASY around lake and MODERATE going back.

Went hiking with my girlfriend for our anniversary, and she fell in mud, slipped on the way back landing on her butt, and got a really good workout. So all in all, it was a really good day. Long hike for sure, and the lake is pretty small, but really nice.

Great hike. Took two dogs one older and they both made it up. but definitely challenging. Many rocks and some steep inclines. The hike had some challenging parts but since it was a cooler day and dry it was fun! Loved the view from the top. Parking filled up fast to go early. They also have good bathrooms since it’s also the camp site but no trash for the dog poop.

First half is pretty easy, gets a little steeper through the middle and then it levels out once you get closer to the lake. Really nice views all around the lake, didn’t go in for a swim just because it was a little cooler out but look forward to coming back on a hot summer day!

Great hike. Steep at the beginning; good workout. Beautiful lake at the top and a flat loop that goes around it. Plenty of places to stop and admire the beauty. We had a gorgeous day and will certainly do this one at some point in the future, maybe adding the ridge trail.

great time

Moderate trail at most. Very enjoyable especially once you reach the lake. Beautiful views at the summit. Circling the lake was awesome on the man-made tree trail. Ascending and descending through the woods didn’t have too many views but the trail was well worth it. Great for a short hike.

This was a great hike and a great workout to get to the top of the mountain to reach the lake. We took our two dogs and they were able to get through all parts of the trail without our help. The reason we did not give this trail 5 stars is because we wish the loop around the lake were longer, since it took approx. 45 mins of high intensity energy to get up to the lake, but then only 25 mins to go around the lake. Overall would definitely recommend but keep in mind this is not a leisurely trail and you will definitely be getting a workout for the full 2 hours it took us to do the trail loop!

Very nice. We got an early start and it was a little busy on the way back.

Great family hike! Midway on the route was pretty rocky - bigger issue going down than coming up - but my family of 4 plus dog loved it. The lake is spectacular and having the hut there is a bonus! (Bathroom and refilling water bottles!!)

wonderful trail uphill until reaching the lake which is amazing. Not so moderate for those in a mediocre shape...but well worth the effort.

beautiful! its steep until you almost get to the lake, then it levels out. great hike for kids and the inexperienced, just take plenty of breaks. the hut at the top has bathrooms

Great hike! Elevation gain on my gps said 1,846. A bit more than what AllTrails had. My 11 yo loved this hike and we all had fun! Very heavily trafficked. Recommend and early arrival to get a parking spot.

Hiked up with my parents who are inexperienced hikers. One used trecking poles. This was my second time doing this hike and I really enjoy the views at the top.

Beautiful trail. The lake and trail that loops it are worth the climb. Be sure to check out Lonesome Lake Hut! There are bathrooms there and places to change if you want to swim!

This is a really nice hike in Franconia. Although the incline is steep at parts, it levels off shortly after. Definitely less strenuous than the trails up the ridge across the highway.

At the lake is a lovely dock that gives views to Franconia Ridge and Cannon. This is a great place to stop for lunch. Curious and friendly resident ducks on the lake may come up to you, but don’t feed them! They are fun to watch though.

It can get a bit muddy around the lake, but bog bridges help mitigate that.

I took the Dodge Cutoff Trail back down. It was less developed than the LL trail up. No staircases on Dodge. Less people though. I’d recommend going back down the way you came though.

Really nice hike, a good way to pass a few hours.

Tough uphill, a little muddy at the top. Nice views.

We did this with our two children age 3.5 and 5.5 y and it was a big success. The young one was in my back for the first half and then he wanted to climb on his own. It was a lot of fun. I recommend this trail for any family with minimum experience. Hiking boots are a plus since some sections are somewhat rocky.

Awesome begginer hike to get you fitted for more bigger hikes. Trail gets steep for a ways. Beautiful lake and hut. Recommend doing the full trail around the lake. Great views!

Steep climb most of the way up with many roots/rocks. Went with our kids and they made it but it was tough. Overall a great workout and many people were getting winded making it to the top. View of lonesome lake was nice with a surprisingly strong breeze to cool us off.

Even though the uphill climb was a bit rocky it was well worth the lake views at the top!

love. short but tough hike with an exceptional reward waiting for you at the top. Seeing the water sparkling through the forest was a joyful sight and swimming in the soft water felt luxurious. The walk around the lake was dense and a bit muddy but gorgeous views all around.
my dog enjoyed it too.