Lonesome Lake Trail

Lonesome Lake Trail is a 3.1 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Lincoln, New Hampshire that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, camping, and snowshoeing and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

beach

Directions from Lincoln or Franconia, NH: This trail is located in the southern most parking area of Lafayette Campground which is located on I-93 about midway between the towns of Lincoln and Franconia.

Great hike with kids ages
5,6 and 9

I loved this hike short on miles but don’t let that fool you it definitely packs a punch with its steep elevation. If was super fun, the lake is beautiful and don’t forget to pack something to swim in believe me it’s so beautiful you’ll definitely want to. Also the Hut is amazing 

The lake on the top is so beautiful! don't forger your swimming suit.

Fairly easy hike but great to hike to the lake and the lodge! You can even take a swim when you get to the top!
I also recommend trying this hike in the winter!! It’s so much fun to walk across the frozen lake!! Don’t forget your micro spikes

Not bad if a hike. Short, but some rocky and steep areas. The lake was so relaxing and calm, and the hut was cool too! Kinda buggy near the lake, but worth the hike.

Nice easy hike year round.

The elevation made it tough, but my 7 y/o daughter and I had a great time.

We started at the basin. I think it took us about 4 hours up and down. It was a bit hard at the end but going down was easy. I had my 2 year old in a hiking backpack carrier.

Did lake trail to hi-cannon trail up to kinsman ridge trail to get to the cannon observation tower. It had rained overnight, so frail was a bit slick and it was pretty woodsy for the first 1.5 miles, then some overlooks appeared.

My last review should have shown that was in April

Nice hike to the hut. Continued on to Kinsman pond with micro spikes

This was a moderate hike that got harder towards the end, but the walk around the lake was easy and pretty. The brownies at the Lonesome Lake Hut were a hit!

Straight up to get there, but once your there the loop around the lake is so beautiful. Lots of people and dogs on the weekend. Fun hike.

Awesome views at the top!

05.16.2018 - Hiked up to the lonesome lake via the basin cascade brook trail. The river crossing was difficult. We ended up bushwhacking to find a good place to cross. After about 25 minutes off trail we ended up taking our boots off and wading across and got back on the trail. There was some snow in places. However, it wasn’t really a problem. No micro spikes needed. We ended up going down via the lonesome lake trail to Lafayette place and hiked the pemi trail 2 Miles back to the basin.

nice trail, great views, lake is frozen
steep hike at two spots

We did this back in late September. Nice and easy trail, this was to complement our day on the franconia ridge. It's a nice stroll by the lake, but not spectacular.

The ascent is moderately steep, but it is fairly level at the end. We did this in February, we walked straight across the lake. The views aren’t fabulous, as you are surrounded by mountains that are taller than you, but it is still pretty and unique.

do this. every one who is able should do this. so.amazing. if you do it in winter go into the middle of the lake and look all around you. and if you're able, do the kinsmans. it's beautiful. went in late February and didn't need snow shoes because the trail was packed down. but did need cramp ons

The trail at this time of year was very snowy. Combined with a steep incline, you definitely need some sort of crampons or snow shoes.
Views were amazing going up and even better at the top. The lake was frozen enough to walk across, which make for cool photos.
Definitely recommend.

We went up the Lonesome lake trail and down the Dodge Cut-off. Very mellow. Didn't need snowshoes, only our foot spikes. We passed a family headed up to stay overnight at the hut.

Awesome snowshoeing! Lake frozen so you can walk on it. Visit the hut, great people.

Great easy winter hike. Snow is packed on the trail. No need to use snow shoe. It was nice to cross the lake and take a break at the hut!

we did it January 28great footing temps in the high 30sgreat hike

Love it! It’s better to hike with crampons than to snowshoe in the winter since it is usually packed down due to heavy travelers

Hiked to lonesome lake hut with my son a bit strenuous for me but a walk in the park for him all in all it was well worth it the experience and the views was great

Moderate hike. Nice lake at the top for swimming in the summer. The hut had food and cold lemonade. Pretty crowded in the summer, but fun and worth it.

Unique hike. Not to be missed. Stayed in lean-to at top. Last hiked in 1990. Took a group of teen and younger kids. Hard hike, but they enjoyed it.