Lonesome Lake Loop and Mount Canon

Lonesome Lake Loop and Mount Canon is a 5.6 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Lincoln, New Hampshire that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

I think I saw one tree marked along this trail, it's a bit ridiculous how poorly marked it is. I normally wouldn't care, but I did this alone in the poring rain and it was slippery and I was a bit nervous haha. The ladder part was really fun, but the descent was nerve racking in spots, especially in rain. Lots of butt sliding. (The forecast said no rain, but this is New England after all.) There was no visibility at all from the lookout point the day I went. NONE. I have a picture of what looks like a white screen, which is a bummer, but I was still happy to make it to the top and maybe someday I'll return to experience the view.

Summited on 4/24. It was an unbelievable day,65 degrees and sunny. We went counter clockwise on the loop. With the warm temps and feet of snow still left, I was very glad I had my snowshoes. Wearing the snowshoes, my waterproof trail runners, and gaiters with them I was fine. Other groups had micro spikes, but I know mine would have been balling up. The way down from Cannon on the backside was quite steep, and with the heavy wet snow butt sliding was involuntary yet mandatory. With the warm temps we dried out quickly and were able to laugh about the short lived ordeal. Perhaps clockwise would have been a steeper ascent, but kinder descent. The views were fantastic, and as always, every slippery step was worth it.

Nice Trail lots of large rocks. The ladder was a fun part of the trail. There are some spots where the trail seems to be near vertical.

Sunday, September 03, 2017

The lonesome lake is very beautiful and there are some beautiful views on the Kinsman Ridge trail. The trail is less "moderate" than other moderate trails - there'a a very steep section where you go hand over fist on rocks for about .5 miles coming up to the Kinsman Ridge tail. We did the trail staring with Lonesome Lake and the rock sheets on the Kinsman Trail take some care to descend. The trail is poorly marked, but easy to follow.

recorded Lonesome lake