Little Haystack via Falling Waters Trail

Little Haystack via Falling Waters Trail is a 5.3 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Lincoln, New Hampshire that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and snowshoeing and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 5.3 miles Elevation Gain: 3,024 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Falling Waters Trail follows the rocky, rushing Dry Brook upstream to meet the Franconia Notch Trail. 0.5 miles below the summit is a 0.1 mile spur trail for "Shining Rock". This is an exposed slab of granite 200 ft tall by 800 ft wide.

lots of tough rocks to negotiate. but well worth it for the view at the top.

we only did the Falling Waters trail part of this hike and loved it. It was slightly complicated during a very small portion of steep incline. Otherwise it was a nice easy to moderate hike to and from only about 2 miles to the second water "fall" fast running creek more or less. well kept pathway, easy to navigate. If we had more time, we would have gone further. I recomend it to someone looking for water views that doesn't mind a short step incline walk.

Falling Waters Trail is fairly vicious which I say not because of the altitude gain—of which it has a goodly amount—but because the trail itself has many unruly roots, pebbles, and rocks to negotiate (Liberty Spring Trail is far more civilized). Dry Brook runs alongside the lower half of the trail and is quite pretty though it does make for some slick sections. Little Haystack doesn’t even qualify as a 4,000-footer which is a bummer after all that hard work. We climbed on a foggy day so I cannot comment on the views. I am sure they make the climb worthwhile but there are kinder tails going to the Ridge than this one.

I thoroughly enjoyed this hike, even though it started pouring rain about halfway down! Oops. I like a good challenge, so the consistently uphill terrain proved itself a wonderful test of endurance. Would definitely recommend shoes with great traction and some hiking poles so you aren't constantly afraid of tripping or twisting an ankle on the way down. The trail can get very rocky and steep. While I only went up to Little Haystack (so tempting were Mt. Lincoln and the rest of the loop, but I was restricted by time), the views were already amazing. You could see Cannon Mtn. and Lonesome Lake across from you, and there's Mt. Lincoln to your side. Additionally, the three falls along the trail were great ways to cool off as you're going up and down the mountain. Cloudland was definitely my favorite. Don't forget bug spray!

Myself and my boyfriend are not avid hikers, we are likely “beginners” from flat Ohio. This trail was DIFFICULT. Very satisfying to climb up (and down) a trail of boulders and tough stone steps to the summit. Trailhead was about 80 degrees with mild shade so the hike up temperature were quite lovely, very glad we brought our raincoats as the summit on Little Haystack was around 40 degrees and very breezy. I learned I am mildly afraid of heights and had a brief panic attack as we climbed out of the tree line into the alpine zone but hikers were very friendly and patient. Once I recovered and the fog cleared, the view was BREATHTAKING! The trek back down Falling Waters (I’ll have to come back to do the Ridge to Old Bridle Path) was quicker but just as technical. I’m still sore two days later. Black flies were out in force at the summit.

This was one of the most rewarding hikes I done with all of the wonderful scenery and the view at the top, but be prepared for a difficult hike if you’re not a very experienced hiker. My boyfriend and I made it up to the summit in about 3.5 hours with maybe too many breaks. Worth the view but my knees were really hurting about halfway through the way back down.

Amazing! Must do this trail at least as far as the second waterfall. Follows the creek and there are lots of spots to get your feet wet. You have to cross the creek a couple times and pick you path on rocks above the water line - lots of fun. The scramble to the top of the second waterfall was too much for our old dog so that was our turn around point otherwise we would have kept going. Again small pockets of mud no big deal, a couple of bugs no big deal.

The best of the whites!! You get a little bit of everything....waterfalls, brook crossings, Mountain View’s and more. Gets a little steep on the rock scramble immediately after Cloudland falls, but beyond that it’s very do-able. My pup made it no problem. The views from the top make all the climbs totally worth it. I move pretty slowly, but I made it to the summit (at 12 weeks pregnant) in about 3 hours with MANY rest breaks. If you can get a cloudless day I doubt there’s a better hike in the whites. Do the whole ridge loop, it’s worth it!

Hiked up here on Sunday, 19 May. The trail still had a good amount of snow, but was pretty well packed. Two used micro-spikes, two didn't and it wasn't bad. River crossing were a bit high so bring extra socks, but you can make it dry with good balance. Temperatures are about 10 degrees colder than you think due to shade and snow pack and sections were a bit muddy. The ridge was completely clear if you are making a circuit.