Little Haystack via Falling Waters Trail

Little Haystack via Falling Waters Trail is a 5.3 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Lincoln, New Hampshire that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and snowshoeing and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Falling Waters Trail follows the rocky, rushing Dry Brook upstream to meet the Franconia Notch Trail. 0.5 miles below the summit is a 0.1 mile spur trail for "Shining Rock". This is an exposed slab of granite 200 ft tall by 800 ft wide.

My boyfriend and I did this hike yesterday, and it is DEFINITELY a HARD terrain but it is unbelievably worth it. There are about 3 waterfalls on the way up! And the view at the top is remarkable. If you’re contemplating this hike, saddle up and do it

Great hike overall. My girlfriend and I messed up and accidentally ended up on the Garfield trail and had to turn around and go all the way back up the mountain. This turned our hike into a 16.4 mile hike that lasted over 10.5 hours. Luckily we were able to get water at the Greenleaf hut on the old bridle path. The wind at the top was intense and the sky would clear up and then cloud over repeatedly. When the clouds cleared, the views were stunning. Just be careful that if you plan on going down the old bridle trail that you don’t make the same mistake we did (the ranger said it’s quite common and was very miserable and painful)

Try and go on a day you'll be likely to have views from the ridge. I went out to do the whole Franconia Ridge loop, but there was zero visibility up top, so I decided to go back down the way I came. It was tough both ways. I'd recommend hiking poles. Use caution going down, it's easy to slip on the wet rocks.

Great hike!

Incredibly difficult. Didn’t think I was going to make it a few times. A lot of climbing up rocks and such. But the views were so incredibly worth it!! I would do it again. When I recover. Lol

Only did the section up to Cloudland Falls. It was a bit intricate but so gratifying once we got to the falls.

Without a doubt this is a great hike. I just did it for the third time in my life at 72 years old. Sadly, it will be my last time as I no longer posess the agility and balance to safely handle the rocky and sometimes wet downhill sections.I still have the stamina for the uphill sections and I still have a love for the spectacular views from the ridge. This is a must-do hike for anyone who appreciates hikes, climbs and spectacular views. Just don't wait until you are 72 to do it.

My favorite hike so far. Breathtaking waterfalls that you actually hike through, across, and up. The parts of the trail after the river-adjacent section gets difficult. Bring plenty of water and some food.

Phenomenal hike, very thankful to meet a park volunteer once we were on top, who recommended we move on to do Lincoln and then Lafayette and down old bridle path. The whole thing took us 9 hrs...well worth it.

Amazing views the whole way up, from waterfalls to 360 Mountain View’s. Definitely a very hard trail, especially on the way down. Very long as well.

One of my favorite trials in the area.

Amazing trail! As others have said here; take falling waters up and enjoy the waterfalls then cross over the Franconia Ridge and go down Old bridal trail. the whole thing took me my dog and my slower friend 8 hours to complete the loop.

Did an out and back to Little Haystack Mtn. A great four + hour hike. The waterfalls are viewed early, about half a mile in and get better as you continue for about another half mile. Once past the falls the trail gets steeper and more technical to the summit of Little Haystack. The view at the summit of Little Haystack is spectacular on a clear day and, gets better if you continue to Mt. Lincoln and Lafayette on the Franconia Ridge Trail. Then you can go down the Greenleaf Trail to the hut and continue down the Old Bridal Path Trail.

I really enjoyed it. The trail was heavily traveled, but it was the beginning of the holiday weekend. Hit a few spots of snow and ice but nothing unmanageable. The summit was windy. I wish I had more time I would of headed up the ridge trail. Definitely go back.

Completed the loop in 6 hours. Ascent up Little Haystack had a tiny bit of snow - we didn't need spikes but they could be helpful for that tiny section. Very windy on the Ridgeline. Descent had a tiny bit of snow, less than ascent. Beautiful hike! We saw why it is so popular.

It's a nice trail, but don't do that, do the whole loop on the franconia ridge, it's definitely worth the few extra miles! You are already up there, so why skip the best part?

Amazing hike. Set off around 8am to leave plenty of time and ended up getting back to my car at 1pm. Spent about a minute at the summit due to very strong winds, very cold, and it being socked in. Mother Nature decided to reward me on the way down and things cleared for a beautiful bluebird sky complete with birds serenading me. Used microspikes the entire hike and without them, it would have been much more difficult in a lot of places. Had the entire mountain all to my self. All in all a great time.

Great views. Micro spikes idea. Lots of ice and covered with a light layer of snow.

Fun trail was crowded when I hiked it wished I had gotten to trail earlier. Waterfall was gorgeous trail can be slippery in spots...saw quite a few people struggling in sneakers. Unfortunately had no view at the summit of Little Haystack

Did this hike 3 days ago...It was an AWESOME hike!

Very challenging even more so with the hordes of people using the trail. Regardless I enjoyed the hike up..,waterfalls were gorgeous. Unfortunately no view when I reached the Ridge trail.

This trail was so gorgeous and challenging! Views were insane, even on a cloudy day. Can't wait to get back there!

Monday, September 18, 2017

Did this hike today with my dog. Long and steep, slippery in places but worth the view at the top. Everyone on the trail was friendly and courteous.

Friday, September 08, 2017

it's rather difficult and challenging if you're well into middle-age and in normal physical condition and not seasoned mountain hiker, but feasible still (youngsters have no problems whatsoever). On a wet day, be very careful as it gets very slippery just about everywhere as you're mostly going on boulders or rocks. Nonetheless, I was delighted we did it, it's very beautiful.

Sunday, September 03, 2017

Rocky and steep at points but well worth the work!

Friday, August 25, 2017

great hike for waterfalls

Tuesday, August 22, 2017

Pretty waterfalls, lots of rocks to scramble over. Steep in certain areas.

Tuesday, August 22, 2017

The waterfalls were cool to look at. Well marked and less trafficked than Old Bridle on the ascent to the Franconia Ridge trail.

Friday, August 11, 2017

This is an incredible hike, I did the loop so I saw the waterfalls and walked along the ridge. It is awesome. Check out my write up along with some other things to look out for.