Little Haystack via Falling Waters Trail

hardYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow Star(516)
Franconia Notch State Park

Little Haystack via Falling Waters Trail is a 5.3 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Lincoln, New Hampshire that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and snowshoeing and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 5.3 miles Elevation Gain: 3,024 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Falling Waters Trail follows the rocky, rushing Dry Brook upstream to meet the Franconia Notch Trail. 0.5 miles below the summit is a 0.1 mile spur trail for "Shining Rock". This is an exposed slab of granite 200 ft tall by 800 ft wide.

Great trail! Even brought my dog! But only halfway because then it gets more difficult

icy

I love this trail, today was my second time doing this loop hike from falling waters to little haystack to Lafayette and down old bridle. Much harder today than last summer. Still a lot of packed snow and ice, was a scramble to get up. I used a walking stick but could have seriously benefitted from poles and spikes. And since it’s all melting, the falls were in full force! Beautiful, yet made the stream crossings difficult. Fully submerged my feet in the rushing water, and had to take a little more time to figure out the best places to cross at, but was worth it. Trail is always marked very well.

flooded
icy

Tried to do this the Friday of Memorial Day weekend. It was warm and I think the extra snow melt took this trail from “hard” to “unwise”. I got to the last half mile or so (I think - no GPS) and had to turn back as the river crossing was knee deep and fast. Didn’t see a way it could have been done safely with that much water. Rest of the hike was gorgeous, and in a few weeks will be great to make it to the top.

icy

one of the best hiked around, I recommend doing the entire loop instead of in and back. Great water falls, great bald summits and ridge, view of cannon and everything else is unreal. I don't recommend descending down little falls in this snow.

I hiked this trail.

Excellent hike ! Went with 13 year old daughter, took us 6 hrs total from car park to ridge and back down! Still a lot of snow. Spikes are a must, and Poles for an easier decent. cold at top. View is breathtaking

icy

Amazing hike! Shoe shoes, spikes and layers are a must and will be for awhile. Loads of snow. I lost a single pink spike while on the trail. if you found it could you text me please? 207-210-1479

icy

I am trying to plan a hike up the falling waters trail. To anyone who has climbed this trail recently, is there still snow and ice anywhere on the trail?

icy

Absolutely amazing. Grueling, steep hike up: follows a beautiful river with many waterfalls. Spectacular views and option to hike over the ridge to mount Lincoln... a 4,000 and 5,000 footer in one day!!