Liberty and Claybrank Brook Loop Trail to Mount Chocorua

Liberty and Claybrank Brook Loop Trail to Mount Chocorua is a 6.8 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Conway, New Hampshire that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

a great hike, we got there early and didn't encounter very many people. our decent was met with a few more people. We brought our doberman who did great both up and down. The summit was more difficult (more rock than trail) than the first 2/3 of the trail, but well worth it. Bugs weren't too bad

I took my 10 y/o son up the Liberty trail to the summit to celebrate my 35th birthday yesterday (mid July). I could not have asked for a better "proud dad" moment than to share this experience with him.

The hike was moderate and grew in difficulty as you make the ascent, but upon reaching the Jim Liberty Cabin, it seemed to energize the both of us with boyish delight as the summit was now within reach.

From this point, the climb is at it's most daunting with only raw rock face to traverse; the monotonous trail left below you. However, the excitement will surely overcome you and the view upon reaching the top is exhilarating!

I hiked these trails in late June and enjoyed it for the most part. I hiked it with my dog going up The Brook trail. It was not difficult until near the end when you hit several rock slabs. My dog struggled a bit here and I had to lift him up a few times.
The trail is marked fairly well and is a gradual climb. The only place where you can get a little lost is when you hit the rock slabs. They are poorly marked and I wasn’t sure if I was on the trail or not several times.
The trail opens up close to the top and I again had to lift up my dog several times.
The view from the top is awesome!! On a clear day you can see for Miles way up to the Whites! Lots of areas to sit with the dog too to rest.
We descended the Liberty trail and it was much easier and I recommend this way up and down if you are bringing your dog.
My advice.... leave early to beat the crowds and you can have the mountain to yourself. I was on the top at 10:30 and there was only two others! One hour later... 20!!
It’s an awesome hike to do. Liberty up and down if you have a dog. Long but nice! If you don’t have a dog do brook trail up. Or I did Piper trail before and that was great too! Enjoy!

This hike was not as hard as my partner and I thought it would be! The first two miles of hiking along the Liberty Trail was quite flat and we didn’t hit hard inclines til the last .8 miles of the hike. There are incredible views the last mile of the hike. Liberty Cabin is a nice place to stop to refuel but we were disappointed with the view from the cabin. This loop trail actually doesn’t bring you to the summit of Chocura. There is another .5 mile or so to get to the peak which we did not end up doing as we were satisfied with the views from the lower peak and were getting quite annoyed from the amount of bugs. Only complaint with trail is that there were no clear trail markers along Liberty trail and it was a bit difficult to stay along the brook trail. BE SURE TO BRING BUG SPRAY AND SUNSCREEN AND A HAT OR SUNGLASSES. Many of the viewpoints and last mile of hike is bare granite so the morning June sun was beating down on us. Also black flies were terrible and we passed many hikers that were just as annoyed with their incessant nagging. At times there were so many flies they looked like dense black clouds surrounding us. Bring enough water as the brook and springs did not contain the clearest of waters.

The trail itself lived up to billing as difficult. What was the downer was at the lower elevation there were non stop mosquitoes!! Worst I’ve ever seen by far. You could not stop or you would be swarmed. Once you got higher up it wasn’t so bad but at the lower elevations watch out, beginning at the parking lot. Also there was no waterfall like advertised. Also I couldn’t find the loop so it ended up being an out and back. Also it’s rocky as heck.

Tried to go up through the Liberty/Brook trails in early April, the 3 mile dirt path to the start was completely snowed in and couldn't get the car through. I recommend taking the Champney Fall Trailhead route from the North, parking is right off the highway—its not marked for Mt. Chocorua at the start, but about 2 miles into the hike you will start to see signs pointing towards. Near the summit you intersect with with Liberty/Brook trails. About 7.5 miles there and back using this route. Really beautiful moderate hike and nice scenery during the drive. A little icy at the top, spikes wouldn't be a bad idea.

Good solid hike. Reinforcing what others have said : supportive boots make your life nicer, as trails can be wet puddles and slick if it has rained the same week you're hiking it. Bit of a scramble to the summit. Nice views from the top. Would go up brook and down liberty if you're looking to loop it and save your knees. Brook trail going up is poorly marked when you hit the granite boulders!! We hiked with our friend's med size dog and she did well. Only at the rocky summit did she need a little boost here and there.

These trails are some of the least popular when it comes to hiking Chocorua, probably because you have to drive 5 miles of dirt roads to get to them, vs other trails that are right off 16. They are definitely worth checking out though; not as long or even as rigorous as trails like Piper, plus there are brooks along many parts of both trails which sound lovely (though they make for a wet/muddy hike at times)

Always a great hike up this mountain, took a couple of noobs- they loved it - perfect day

Great hike, though next time I'd skip the Brook trail altogether unless I'm up for soggy footing and bugs! The upper portion of Brook was pretty neat, though, with large slanted rock faces that would be fun to scramble up. Liberty was easy to follow and a very solid trail all around. My 9 year old son and 40 lb Entlebucher mountain dog both made it to the summit without difficulty.

I only did the liberty trail up and back but a very pleasant hike with a good challenge at the end. Makes the view that much better.

Hiked up liberty and down claybrook. It rained a lot the day before for it was pretty wet and the rocks were slippery. We hiked with our 23 pound terrier mix who's pretty agile. He handled it well and there was only one spot we needed to lift him. Beautiful hike. Barely anyone on the trial.

Tuesday, August 08, 2017

good safety cabin below tree line, winds can get rough up there! also good views of mount Washington.

Sunday, July 30, 2017

I thought this was a vey difficult hike. We went up Brook and down Liberty. Once you are above the tree line, they were equally as difficult. Liberty is definitely a more gentle pace compared to Brook. Brook was poorly marked in many spots. Liberty is an obvious path and you don't really need the trail markers for most of it. We did the trail slowly and it was about 6.5-7 hours round trip.

Sunday, July 30, 2017

If you're name is Brian, you may struggle with this one because of it's awesomeness. Great hike, some steep spots, fun loop. Def recommend.

Sunday, July 23, 2017

This mountain has amazing views. It was considerably hard.

Thursday, July 13, 2017

Beautiful view, hard side of moderate hike. Nice half day hike to take, only about 2.5 hours up

Wednesday, July 05, 2017

Awesome! Great for dogs and kids starting around age 8/9

Friday, June 23, 2017

Up Liberty and down Brook. Great hike with amazing views up top. Damp due to recent rainfall. Bring bug spray!

Monday, June 12, 2017

bugs were so bad i was up and down Liberty in 4.25. better off to pick a windy-ish day. views were spectacular nonetheless.

Sunday, May 28, 2017

Loved going up Liberty trail, well visible where trail was. Views on top as always so rewarding. we went down Brook Trail. it was a bit challenging do to steep smooth and very wet rock ledges. Once past them a beautiful trail along the brook with many crossing. Overall fantastic hike.

Saturday, May 27, 2017

Hiked up Liberty and down Brooke. Liberty going up was pretty easy. We had 9 year old and dog with us. All good. Easy to follow because clear path. From cabin to peak was a challenge because of rock face and the dog. Gorgeous views even before summit so wouldn't have been bad to turn around and not summit but...bagged it. Opted to come down Brooke. Initially it was close to treacherous, minimal blazes and lots of rock faces. Since it rained day prior this made for slick travels. But then Brooke becomes great! In the end, I would go up Brooke (knowing towards top it might be tricky to find way and if there were downed trees it would be even trickier)...just go up. I'd then go down liberty. Best part of the trip for us was the crew of young adults who came up behind us and then hiked with us. Most gracious, thoughtful and down right lovely crew I've met in awhile. Thank you to them for their support and company! My nine year old hauled a** with you on the trail, a blessing!

Sunday, April 30, 2017

Great hike. As several other reviewers have noted the Liberty Trail is quite poorly blazed. In fact I don't believe I saw any real blazes until I reached the cabin about 0.5 miles from the summit. The good news is that the trail is easy to follow; there are little to no offshoots to other trails so just stay following the wide path that looks like it goes up the mountain and you'll eventually reach the top. After the cabin there are faintly pained blue arrows and yellow stripes that help guide you to the top. Took me 2.5 hours to summit and about 2 hours to return to my car. Worth the hike, as there are 360 degree views at the top. On clear days you can see Mt Washington off in the distance.

Wednesday, November 16, 2016

We went up the brook trail, and down Liberty. The trails, especially Brook, are terribly marked. We got lost/turned around 3x before reaching the summit. Last week there was a new tree down blocking the path. Had to do some true bushwhacking to get through. Definitely higher difficulty than other hikes around, but that's what makes it great. The views at the top make every struggle worth it. 360 degree views.

Monday, November 07, 2016

The beginning of the trail is what i would consider moderate hiking as described. The Alltrails description is not exactly accurate though. It is not 5.1m round trip. it is at lease 3,5miles from the parking lot located below the liberty trail. It is a pretty trail that runs along the brook for the first two miles of the trail. The last mile and a half are what i would call Difficult. It was very steep slippery rock faces and technical hiking. It also doesn't end at the tallest peak. still a very pretty view but i is another .25-.5 miles of very steep rocks to get to the peak. There were a lot of leaves on the ground an it had just rained so it was extra slippery and VERY poorly marked in many places.

Monday, August 29, 2016

Gorgeous hike, seeing the summit for the first time was breath taking.

This is not a hike for kids, it is a fairly grueling hike.
;
The trail has lots of steep/rocky inclines, we had to stop and rest multiple times while hiking it. There are some nice level parts or gentle slopes to the trail, so it's not all uphill hiking. The trail is well defined, we had no problems following it. It is a very beautiful trail to hike and well worth all the work.

Once you go past to the Cabin there are several steep/ rocky places you have to climb to gain the summit. The summit trail is marked with faded spray paint arrows and some cairns, so it is not as easy to discern where the summit trail is at times.

Sunday, August 07, 2016

Great trail. Plan for 8 miles and plenty of h2o.

Sunday, July 10, 2016

Hard. Not moderate compared to other moderate rated trails. I would recommend no kids under 10

Sunday, June 19, 2016

Great hike! The liberty up and the brook down.

Monday, May 30, 2016

Went up Brook and down LIberty. Good choice. Brook is rugged and less well maintained but worth it because you follow a beautiful mountain stream most of the way with lovely pools and waterfalls. Yellow blazes are fading so you need to pay attention. Very good "middle earth" feel to the hike. Great views from the top despite clouds. LIbery is a lovely descent, better maintained and easier. Took us about 5 hours and it is definitely over 8 miles, not the 6.2 that AllTrails claims. Great hike. Really worth it if you are in descent sharpe.