Jennings Peak and Sandwich Mountain Trail Loop

Jennings Peak and Sandwich Mountain Trail Loop is a 7.9 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Waterville Valley, New Hampshire that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and bird watching and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 7.9 miles Elevation Gain: 2,673 feet Route Type: Loop

All the other review are accurate. Travel up Sandwich Mt trail and down Drake’s Brook. Great views along the way. The trail is beautiful and well maintain. Avoid after rain fall.

Haven't been hiking this summer and decided to tackle this trail with my brother and dog. Went up Jennings, and down Drake's, 80F, low humidity. Great hike! Had all the elements, great verticals, some quick moving saddles, terrific views, zero other traffic. Took us just over 5 hours to do the full loop with lots of breaks for water and pictures.

My wife and I (novices) went this weekend with great weather. Ascent up the Sandwich Mountain trail to Noon peak and Jennings is great, moderately steep in parts and steeper in others with excellent views as a reward. Great workout. The mile long stretch between the first lookout before Noon peak and Jennings peak is what it’s all about. We left out the Sandwich ascent, descending the loop down Drakes Brook trail - which was very easy, with a dozen places to stop and enjoy the water and wildflowers.

Beautiful trail and well maintained - very wooded other than the peaks. Stream could be easily crossed and the Drakes Brook trail back down was an easy and nice way down along the stream. The bugs were bad today though. Took us about 4 1/2 hours.

Nice day to be out. A little mud but not too bad. Some melting monorail left on last mile up Sandwich Mountain Trail... all passable without traction. Mostly packed and bootsteps to step in.

Hiked 4/14/19. Snowshoes definitely recommended. A lot of post-holing between me and my hiking partners. View from Jennings Peak and Noon Peak were awesome. Clouds started to roll through and it started to rain about five minutes from summit of Sandwich Dome. I would agree with the ranking of this mountain (hard). There were a lot of steep parts. I recommend going doing Drake and going up Sandwich Mountain Trail.

This hike is easy to get to, has no parking fee, and offers the opportunity to hike either a pretty hard trail, or one that is fairly moderate. Took Sandwich Trail on the way up and it was pretty rigorous. After the first viewpoint it starts to be a flatter walk in the woods. Went up to Jennings Peak which was really stunning; plenty of room there to sit and relax. Went to Sandwich after that which was less impressive. A good view for sure but it’s hidden by trees and there isn’t a lot of room. Went down Drakes Brook Trail which was a pretty easy descent. One of the toughest parts of the hike was probably the brook crossing on both trails. It required a little more maneuvering than I’d expected. All in all, great hike.

Clouds blocked any view I would have on both peaks, but the trail/woods were interesting in that so much of the area was moss covered. The ascension rate was aggressive, but plenty doable, with a couple very steep climbs. 5 1/2 hours round trip, which includes both peaks and a 15 minute rest at the summit.

I consider a good hike to have a view as a reward. “Eye candy’. Jennings peak was worthwhile as well as an outlook on the way up. After that we hiked to sandwich dome. Not much of a view there. We came down Drake. I would consider Drake to be a moderate hike. Going up the other way was moderate to hard.

Monday, August 06, 2018

The trail was the perfect length, all types of terrain and difficulty to challenge anyone. I enjoyed this hike very much! Went up Sandwich and came down Drake. Save yourself for some soaking in the brook on the way down. Very refreshing! I will definitely do this hike again next year. I would not recommend bringing young children but ages 10+ should be able to handle this hike. Good luck!

Saturday, June 30, 2018

I was told there would be “limited” views on this hike. Not sure if the person who told me this hiked it blindfolded, because I found this hike to be beautiful. Noon Peak and Jennings Peak where spectacular vistas. The summit of Sandwich Dome had wonderful views of the Sandwich, Presidential, Pemi and Franconia Ranges. There’s a small pill bottle currently serving as the summit canister, which is sitting right on top of the cairn. We took Sandwich Mountain Trail up and Drakes Brook down. I recommend doing it this way since Drakes is more gradual. Drake’s Brook followed a beautiful river most of the way, with only one major crossing. Definitely would do it again.

Sunday, June 17, 2018

I ascended Sandwich Mountain Trail and descended via Drakes Brooks Trail. The hike up was mostly moderate with a couple very steep but short sections. Took the extra .2 miles to summit Jennings Peak. The view from Jennings was great, best of the 3 peaks visited. Back off Jennings I continued on the Sandwich Mountain Trail up to the summit of Sandwich Dome. Nice views of the Tripyramids with Presidential Range far in the distance. The trip down Drakes Brook Trail was a steady easy on the knees descent. The lower section of the brook is a nice spot to take a break on one of many large flat stones in the brook. A great day out and checked off 2 peaks from the 52 with a view list

Monday, October 23, 2017

Hiked with my pup; followed the advice to take Sandwich up and Drake's down. That was definitely the right way to go. The first 1.5m on the Sandwich trail are a steady ascent with some steep parts but no rock scrambles. After that, you walk on a magical mountain pass; many level parts with minor ascents. Don't miss Jenning's Peak. The summit of Sandwich is very understated. Drake's is a lovely walk down the mountain. Once the trail meets the brook, it levels out and widens, too. Very nice on the knees :) Definitely recommend this loop. We loved it. I would say it's a moderate hike, not a hard one. However, I hiked it in dry conditions and that made it easier for sure.

Friday, September 08, 2017

I'm 65 and haven't really done much hiking in years, if not decades! Went with my 20 and 30 something kids. Some stretches going up were quite steep and it's pretty much uphill from the start. There is a nice viewing point well below the summit. I decided to save my remaining leg strength for the trip down and stopped at 3600 feet or about 300 feet below the summit. Probably didn't need to, as going down proved easier than I expected. Much of it by a brook. Nice. Old guys, give it a go, but pace yourselves!

Saturday, June 24, 2017

Went up the Sandwich Mountain Trail and came down the Drakes Brook Trail. The scenery is beautiful along Drakes Brook. I definitely recommend making the short trek to Jennings Peak. The views are incredible. Decided not to hike to the Sandwich Mountain summit after reading other reviews and talking to hikers on the trail who said it wasn't worth it.

Monday, May 22, 2017

This is a beautiful trail - definitely go UP sandwich mountain trail. The woods are gorgeous and the views from Jennings are great. Views from Sandwich just ok (mostly trees) - not sure it's worth the extra 1-1.5 hrs to get there and back... minimal snow just under sandwich peak.

Wednesday, October 19, 2016

Love to ascend using Jennings peak trail onto sandwhich. Descending using Drakes brook is definitely much easier than descending on Jennings Peak trail. Once you get to the top of Jennings the last couple of miles is a relative cake walk. Highly recommended.

Thursday, September 15, 2016

Pleasant Loop trail over 3 summits; Noon Peak, Jennings Peak and Sandwich Dome. Each summit has a viewpoint, but Jennings Peak is best. The ascent on Sandwich Mountain Trail and descent on Drakes Brook Trail is easiest.