Mount Adams, Adams Five and Mount Jefferson Loop

hardYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(8)
White Mountain National Forest

Mount Adams, Adams Five and Mount Jefferson Loop is a 9.2 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Randolph, New Hampshire that features a river. The trail is rated as difficult and is primarily used for hiking and running.

Length9.2 miElevation gain3,963 ftRoute typeLoop
HikingRunningForestRiverViewsWildflowersWildlifeRocky
Description
Waypoints (0)

Start on the Caps Ridge Trail. Follow the Gulfside Trail to get to Adams. On my way back use The Cornice to reach Castle Trail.

Weather
UV Index
Daylight
Reviews (8)
Photos (1,438)
Activities (4)
Completed (44)
Courtney Larabee
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarNovember 9, 2020
Hiking

The views from Adams and Jefferson were amazing. I took the Cornice without realizing what it would be like, but I wanted to make a loop. Would not recommend. Very time consuming and difficult, not worth it. In retrospect, would have preferred to go back down Jefferson.

Andrew Beasley
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 4, 2020
HikingRockyScramble

The hike to the top of Mt. Jefferson was great! Very steep sections require you to hold on carefully as you climb up different rock faces. The hike from Mt. Jefferson to the summit of Mt. Adams is much further than the app suggests. We were moving at a really good clip and it took us more than 4 hours from the start. The trail down was very, very long and arduous. Like the other review, we are very sure the distance is way further than what All Trails calculates. It took us 3.5 hours to get down moving at a very quick pace. All in all, the total trail has to be over 13 miles. Please be forewarned if you are taking this exact route, that the distance is far more than the app suggests. Beautiful hike, very long, and very challenging for even experienced hikers!

Michael Lustwerk
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJune 27, 2020
HikingBugsRockyScramble
View Michael's activity
Todd Sigmon
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 29, 2019
HikingBlowdownRockyScramble

Pretty frequent hiker, but this one was really tough. Not sure how AllTrails measures this at 9.2. Our GPS was over 13. Really enjoyed Jefferson and Adams, but the return route along the Cornice, over Castle, and back to Caps Ridge vis the Link was really tough. Lots of hands needed to pull up/drop down some tough rocks. Saw no one on this return route, so wondering if they knew something we didn’t. We thought it would wrap around without resummitting Jefferson, but I can’t recommend this route. In retrospect, we would have come back the same way. Jefferson and Adams were great views and well worth it though.

Eric Devost
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 21, 2018

one of the most spectacular trail in the Whites !

Eric Devost
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 22, 2018
First to Review

Jefferson and Adams on June 22 2018. I started at 8 AM and went up the Caps Ridge Trail, a very beautiful and quite demanding way to go up Mount Jefferson. Views were awesome all the way up. I then followed the Gulfside Trail to get to Adams were I reached the top by noon. Lots of bugs and even a squirrel visited me while I was appreciating the magnificent view. A squirrel ? Where do you guys get your food from in this desert of rocks ? Crazy beasts. On my way back I decided to go for a loop, using The Cornice to reach Castle Trail which would bring me to The Link. That was a great decision as Castle Trail was spectacular, often walking along high cliffs, with great views on mount Adams all the way. As I engaged on The Link, I was getting tired and the trail seems to me like very lightly used (this portion at least), cluttered and sometimes a bit difficult to walk. But I was glad it existed, as it allowed me to complete one of the greatest loop I have come to make in the White Mountains.

View Eric's activity
Brendan Crowley
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 22, 2019
View Brendan's activity
Krzysztof Plachta
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 27, 2019
View Krzysztof's activity