Indian Head Trail

Indian Head Trail is a 3.5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Lincoln, New Hampshire that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from January until January. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

old growth

Middle half of the trail is a mess. Desperately needs maintenance. Not enjoyable. Coming down I realized there is a trail next to the trail for most of the middle section with makes it a bit easier, but I couldn’t find it on the way up. Lost the trail several times due to fallen trees etc. even though there are plenty of blazes. View is wonderful. Haven’t done the blue trail that approaches further north. Maybe that trail is better.

Loved the view!!!!

Top is definitely worth the hike! Big payoff. It was very wet with water flowing down most of the trail after a couple of days rain, so watch that.

not a lot to see on the way up, but the view from the top is wonderful.

Was a some what steep views were worth the hike for sure.

great view

Nice and peaceful along with being decently challenging. It was raining for the most part but still mint. The summit was grey due to overcast but well worth the hike up.

Solid family hike- was a first hike for Dad and he did great. We'll be sore tomorrow but it's good. A real steep part before the top. Waters high so it's very wet halfway up but beautiful.

Tuesday, May 23, 2017

Le sentier n'est pas super bien aménagé... fallait même parfois chercher où aller! Beaucoup de roches ... et de racines! Ce n'est pas physique mais technique car un faux pas et c'est la merde! Je l'ai trouvé difficile et pourtant je suis expérimenté... un peu d'amour dans ce sentier serait bienvenue! Vue magnifique au sommet sur un beau cap de roches qui valait l'effort!

Tuesday, January 03, 2017

what a fantastic hike! I left my truck at around 6:00 or 6:15 hoping to catch the sunrise when I got to the top and I did. beautiful views and a fresh few inches of snow just made my day. I usually do bigger mountains but Im new to the winter hiking and wanted to play my solo trip safe. the views are better than some 4000 footers that ive climbed recently and not matter what your experience level is, I highly recommend it.

Thursday, October 20, 2016

Great views, a little rough in spots due to a lot of roots and wet leaves because of the time of year. Trail was closer to 5 miles but still an amazing hike.

Wednesday, October 12, 2016

Harder than I thought it would be! Fairly well marked trail, would like to see brighter tree markers. In the fall, leaf coverage makes trail a little hard to follow. Steady incline, roots and rocks most the way. Near end, very steep climb when you're most tired but view of the pemi valley up top is very nice.

There are two trails to reach summit, I took the "yellow" from trailhead parking in rte 3 near the Indian head resort. The blue trail, I understand is from the flume parking lot. Two trails means you may enjoy a solitary quiet hike up, but more people at the top can be annoying!

Saturday, September 24, 2016

Harder than I expected. Good trail but lots of roots for most of it. Pretty steep towards the top, a jumble of rocks.
I went with my 10 year old daughter and it took us about 4 hours round trip but we spent a good half hour on the summit to eat lunch. Great views once there.

Saturday, September 24, 2016

Great short hike. Took us 2.5 hours with a 15minute break at the summit. No bouldering involved so low skill level needed. Steep climbs near summit. Views are amazing and well worth the climb. Dog friendly saw many people with dogs recommend a leash, steep drop off ledges at the summit. Muddy at spots so bring bug spray and wear good gripping shoes

Saturday, August 06, 2016

What a view on the top!!! It was tougher than I expected (but it was a very warm day!)... but it worth it! My 2 chihuahuas did the trails but we took the time because there was a lot of roots and rocks... but we did it! Highly recommend!

Friday, July 22, 2016

Hiked beginning of November 2014 , it was a good trail.

Saturday, July 16, 2016

A little tougher than I expected but well worth it!

Thursday, July 14, 2016

Difficult at the end, but the view is well worth it!

Wednesday, June 22, 2016

Really nice hike, a little more difficult than I was expecting but still worth it. Not very crowded and wonderful summit views. Wish views towards Lafayette were more visible. Note that you follow yellow markers until closer to the summit and then it changes to blue.

Sunday, May 15, 2016

My first solo hike of the season. This was a great trail. Trail markers were helpful. I followed the yellow markers most of the way and then towards the top they were blue and another trail must have converged. I only ran into 9 hikers on my way up and only 8 at the top. Beautiful views at the top. Enjoyed a nice hike down, stopping to take photos and enjoying the sounds of the babbling waterfalls.

Wednesday, December 02, 2015

Starts out as a nice warmup and then gets quite steep at the top. Great views all along the way with a spectacular view from the top.

Sunday, August 16, 2015

The view is spectacular! The trail is tricky.

Saturday, July 25, 2015

Easy to find parking area. Trail starts off easy then gets pretty steep for the rest of the way up. Amazing view at the top!!

Monday, September 22, 2014

Good parking off of rt.3. Woods trail follows a brook for a while and passes under i93 a couple times. Trail gradually steepens, the steepest part being the last .25 or so. Summit is very open with ledges on all sides. Views are marginal and if you bring kids or dogs, keep them on a short leash, most of the ledges are sheer drops, 100-200ft. USE CAUTION!!!