Imp Trail

Imp Trail is a 6.1 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Gorham, New Hampshire that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round.

Directions from Gorham, NH: Travel south on SR 16 approximately 6 - 8 miles to reach the trailhead on the left (east) side of the road.

Saturday, May 28, 2016

Great simple trail, perfect for an easier day on the trails

Saturday, May 28, 2016

Tuesday, November 17, 2015

Saturday, September 12, 2015

Thursday, August 27, 2015

Friday, August 21, 2015

Nice day: blue sky, puffy clouds, lots of sun, and windy on the exposed face.

Saturday, August 15, 2015

Wednesday, August 05, 2015

We did the full loop and walked back to the south trail head to the car which was a very short walk. The trail was strenuous at points, but absolutely worth it when you get to the breath taking views of the presidentials. Weather conditions were perfect, till we got to the top and it started raining! Again, though, absolutely worth it.

Wednesday, July 08, 2015

Friday, June 12, 2015

Saturday, August 30, 2014

Short: start from the north and make the loop.

Long: one of my all time favorite hikes. The views are great. The trail offers different styles throughout. Great workout. Recommend starting from the northern tip and looping to the southern entrance. Easier on older knees this way.

Overall: if the weather is right, this is one amazing hike.

Saturday, August 02, 2014

Great family hikes - some steep portions but not overly, some portions the blazing was not super clear when we were there, but we had a good map. It had rained that morning and there were some portions that were a little slick from the rain. A good time was had by all.

Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Friday, March 09, 2012

My son Ron and I made this hike on an overcast day in June. We were hoping to get some great views of Mt. Washington. As we climbed high and higher it got foggier. At the crest it was so foggy I barely could see 10 feet in front of me. So much for the views of Mt Washington. The hike was fairly easy and thats all I can say.

Monday, February 27, 2012

Amazing views at the lookout of Washington and the Presidential range. Ran into a bear on the way up. First time that had happened to me in 17 years of hiking. We took the Carter Trail up to the summit of Middle Carter and Lethe from the Imp trail, but completed the loop when we came back down.

Sunday, February 26, 2012

Conditions: Temps in the low 20's with significant wind and continuous snow. The trail was slippery hard packed snow with 4 to 10 inches of fine powder cover, deeper at higher elevations. Crampons made the slippery footing and steeper sections more enjoyable.

We did not do the full loop but instead went up and back the north route. This is a nice hike, not very long (2.2 miles to Imp Forehead) but fairly steep in some places. The trail basically runs along a brook for some time before crossing the brook and heading up and around the back of the Imps head. After several direction changes the trail eventually opens to a small clearing at the head of the Imp. The view from this spot is reportedly beautiful although all I saw was horizontal snow and the faint outline of the Carter Trail. The hike took us 2.5 hours to reach the Imp Forehead, and after a short lunch, only an hour to descend to the parking lot on Route 16.