Huntington Ravine Trail

Huntington Ravine Trail is a 5.8 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Randolph, New Hampshire that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until September.

ice climbing

rock climbing

1 minute ago

Tough but worth the effort

This was my hardest hike yet! A bit more rock climbing than hiking though. Worth the jitterbug nerves and steep climbs, views were amazing.

Did it today. I loved it. Amazing views! Definitely a great cross between hiking and rock climbing. Now I am in no way a rock climber and before this trail I read some articles on rock climbing holds that I think really helped me. Caution is definitely needed on this trail because of the angles you are on. People say they take kids on this one, good for them, I personally would warn highly against it. No way I would bring a dog either. I highly recommend this trail but at your own risk.

A very difficult trail due to some rock face climbing. This trail is a lot of fun and I like it much better than Tuckermans due to the shorter distance and the feeling that you are rock climbing.

Class III Scramble with circa 5.5 slab free solo climbing at max 10-15 feet exposure that is disconcerting to those unacquainted with climbing. Much more satisfying than hiking: why hike when you can problem solve a climb?

Great views on the way up with good rest stops along the way. We took 6 hours one way up in no hurry, just took the shuttle down, easily worth 31 bones each and my knees are still thanking me.

WARNING Huntington Ravine is arguably the most difficult hiking trail in New England. Applician magazine once declared it most difficult in the US.

Never attempt to descend this trail. Never hike this train in bad weather or wet conditions.

After leaving the Tuckerman Ravine trail you will cross a river and go through some cool terrain that includes weaving between boulders.

Once you reach the floor of the ravine you will ascend a Boulder field, before reaching "The Slab".

This is the point of no return. Do not proceed unless you are in excellent shape, have shoes with good grip, and are comfortable using hand holds. Many people have been seriously injured, required rescue, or even died on this trail.

The slab is a nasty section of very steep rock that requires good placement of your feet and even some hand holds to ascend.

After the slab is a seemingly never ending series of scrambles and chimneys.

This is a no fall trail. In some sections, if you fall, you will drop 10 to 40 feet before rolling a great distance more.

Numerous sections require hand holds. Numerous sections put you right on the edge of a drop. If you are afraid of heights, do not even start thus trail.

This is one of the most unique trails in the White Mountains. The views are amazing and the challenge excellent.

If you climb this trail you will never forget it.

Just completed this trail on Saturday. It was incredible!!! Not a trail for the novice hiker or faint of heart. The trail starts with a moderate hike then you hit the Fan section which turns into a scramble through a large rockslide. After you make it through the Fan then the real fun begins at the Slab! Once you start this section, it is the point of no return. The Slab section of the trail Is basically a very steep granite face around 100 plus feet that you ascend using your feet and hands up a crack in the granite face. (A little more on the rock climbing side then hiking) Once you have finished the Slab there are some other shorter climbs and you are exposed on cliff edges as well. The last part is a quick climb up a chimney then you are at the top of the head wall where you intersect with two other trail which you can take to the summit. We really enjoyed this trail and it's views are incredible. It's not a heavily traffic trail and we were there on the Seek The Peak event weekend. We saw maybe 10 or 12 people on the length of the trail. If you decide to take this trail be prepared for it and I would definitely not use this trail to do a decent of Mt Washington. Looking forward to doing it again!! One other thing to add is to keep your eye out for the trail markers. Some of the yellow blazes are worn and hard to see.

One of my favorite trails I've ever done. Brought climbing shoes & would've moved a lot quicker along the technical areas had I used them but was determined to do my 1st run without. Crack climbs over the slab were my best moments, and this is definitely not for a newbie hiker! It helped having rock climbing experience! Despite it being the busiest and most trafficked weekend on Mt. Washington, my Seek the Peak trail hike on the Huntington Ravine trail was nothing short of exciting and breathtaking... and not very busy on this trail due to its well known difficulties. This trail ROCKS!

No joke this trail is dangerous

A white mountain classic that should only be done if comfortable on steep and exposed terrain. Great views and exciting terrain which will not be soon forgotten!

Tough trail if you go up the headwall to the Alpine Garden. But don't be too scared either. I did it several years ago with twin 9-year old boys, who had zero trouble, and my wife who was recovering from a sprained ankle, who did hobble a little by the end coming down Tucks. It helps to be experienced. We did see a couple of people who were struggling a bit on some of the more exposed scramble sections.

And pay attention to the weather. This would be far harder when wet.

It is also a lot of fun in the winter, but that is not hiking.

A far superior trip up Washington over Tuckerman, but definitely not for the faint of heart. Started at sunrise and was glad we did as it's a lengthy trip up there. Gradual yet steady climb up under the tree line for a few miles which serves as a nice warmup. When the ravine comes into sight things get real. I was with two other gentlemen over 6' and we needed every inch for the scrambles. Some sketchy passes for sure that require tossing your pack up ahead of you. The descent down Tuckerman was a killer on the knees, but overall an unforgettable hike. Didn't see many others on the ascent which was a nice alternative to the novice-saturated Tuckerman. Definitely don't attempt if you are a novice hiker or shorter or not in outstanding shape. Happy trails

Rock climbing when approaching the cliff. This is NOT an easy trail. Do not get confused. Only the first half of this trail is shown here.

Sunday, July 10, 2016

Hiked this trail 14 years ago with my cousin and friends. From Long Island NY it was a 7 hour car ride to New Hampshire. Stayed in the penthouse suite of a nearby hotel and partied the night before the hike. While discussing the next day's hike our friend who was acting as guide told us that we were taking the Huntington Ravine Trail. He was swigging cough syrup with vodka so we all assumed the hike would be a cake walk. However we were warned by two local potheads who stopped by that HR was a death trap. Not quite but dam this was a difficult hike, more like rock climbing and certainly nothing we were expecting at the time. Nevertheless we started out the next morning after a hardy breakfast, arrived at the parking lot and started up a boring stretch of the Tuckerman Ravine Trail for about a mile until we took a right onto the HR trail and hiked for a mile or so up a peaceful woodland path, crossed a stream and were enjoying the great scenery. We quickly reached tree line and saw the headwall looming in the distance. The hike quickly turned into a rock climbing expedition. Very difficult. It was July and there were still some snow fields along the trial. We met a mountain climber coming down the trail who explained that this trail was technically the most difficult on the eastern seaboard and that European Alpine climbers often come here to practice their sport. We began questioning our decision to take this route but were resolved to sally forth. As far as I can remember it took us several hours to reach the Alpine trail beyond the headwall and up to the top of the mountain. There was little to no traffic on HR the day we were there. Strenuous and nerve-wracking, between the rock scrambling and the specter of a sudden change in weather, but exciting, adrenaline pumping. At the top of the mountain it is extremely windy, there is building with cafeteria, souvenir stand etc.. After 7 hours on the mountain we were exhausted and paid for a van to drive us down. That night we dined at a local steakhouse and felt good about the days experience. Looking back I'm reminded that it isn't the destination but the getting there that matters. Great memory. If you are in good shape and experienced then take Huntington Ravine trail up Mt. Washington and enjoy the rush.