High Watch Trail

High Watch Trail is a 2.6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Effingham, New Hampshire that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Wide trail with few inclines. Fire Tower on top.

This was definitely wasn’t an easy trail! I brought my 10, 6, and 5 year olds they did better then me! But it was beautiful!

Beautiful forest! BUT! Who ever rated this as easy has to rethink their standards. This is a fairly short but intense hike. 75% is steep. I had my son in a pack and am a moderately healthy and fit 45 year old man. I was able to power through without a serious break but it was definitely demanding. I would rate this as a moderate hike with some fairly challenging sections. Not for novice hikers looking for a quick jaunt. Bring water and a carb snack. Too bad fire tower is locked. Incredible views from top of tower. I’d do it again.

I agree with all the other reviews that this trail is very steep and the heavy layer of pine needles on the ground make some of the climb a little more troublesome (especially on the way down). Overall the hike is less than 1.5 miles to the top and the view make it well worth it. Perfect for a short day hike with the dogs.

I won't call this an easy trail more moderate because of the steeper rise at the top. Definitely a fun trail for a family great picnic area with tables at the top views from tower only

Consistent incline. Lots of rocks. This trail can be completed within an hour and a half easily. Fantastic view on top of the fire tower.

first I would like to say that the trail should be moderate to hard...not easy...me and my son got a work out...the top had picnic tables for a nice cool break...the tower however wasn't accessable.... millions of wasps surrounded it...no joke...so many wasps...next year we will go earlier in season in hopes no wasps...but there was a couple trails off to sides if you make it up!!

Saturday, August 27, 2016

So....it was not EASY. Finding the trail was a bit confusing as maps brought you to a treatment center. The trail begins with logging road and lots of debris. Eventually it was very well marked. Compared to trails up Mt Washington it was steeper with less rocks.
I would say Moderate or Moderate to difficult. It was a peaceful hike. The views from the tower were awesome but some trees were barriers to some views.

Saturday, July 02, 2016

Nice short trail. Steep. Good workout.

Sunday, June 19, 2016

this trail is NOT easy....at least it wasn't for me.... it is a steady incline but the view was well worth it!

Wednesday, April 13, 2016

The first part of the trail is pretty beaten up by logging but then it gets better. Wide and well marked. Clearing at the top with picnic tables and 2 more trails leading off. Didn't have time to check them out. No views until you climb the tower.

Sunday, June 18, 2017