Hi-Cannon and Lonesome Lake Trails Loop is a 5 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Lincoln, New Hampshire that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and nature trips and is best used from April until November.

This is a great hike with interesting terrain and views. That being said, there are some things to point out! This hike is pretty consistently steep. It's a shorter trail so of course you gain that elevation quickly. This route takes Hi-Cannon up and Lonesome Lake down. The trails are technically marked but the markers must be very old and worn away because you may only see a handful the entire time- don't worry, the trail is easy enough to follow where you shouldn't get lost. There are also signs at every intersection. Kinsman Ridge trail is extremely steep going down towards Lonesome Lake trail. You have to use your hands in a lot of places and if you have a dog with you it may be difficult. The ladder section is fun as you are on the side of the mountain and have spectacular views for this segment with a couple pull-offs for breaks/photos. At the top there is a look-out tower and a lodge (this is a ski mountain) that has a snack bar, bar, bathrooms. It is only open seasonally for the season but the doors were open so we could at least warm up and take a break. There is also a tram that you can get a one way ticket for at the top if you do not want to hike down, although this too is only open in season (not when I was there.) There are plenty of spots to enjoy the lake especially if you decide to take the trail around it instead of just by it, probably adding a little less than a mile.

This is a great hike with interesting terrain and views. That being said, there are some things to point out! This hike is pretty consistently steep. It's a shorter trail so of course you need to gain that elevation quickly. I took Hi-Cannon up and Lonesome Lake down. There was snow on the majority of the trail and ice for the majority of the upper half of the mountain. I brought spikes and they would've helped but I managed to do it without them just fine - my hiking poles assisted me enough. The trails are technically marked but the markers must be very old and worn away because I only saw a handful the entire time, but the trail is easy enough to follow where you shouldn't get lost. There are also signs at every intersection.
Kinsman Ridge trail is extremely steep going down towards Lonesome Lake trail. You have to use your hands in a lot of places and if you have a dog with you it may be difficult, although I did see a Golden Retriever on the trail but the owners said he had some trouble.
At the top there is a look-out tower and a lodge (this is a ski mountain) that has a snack bar, bar, bathrooms. On my trip this was not yet open for business for the season but the doors were open so we could at least warm up and take a break. There is also a tram that you can get a one way ticket for at the top if you do not want to hike down, although this too is only open in season (not when I was there.)

Once you reach the Hi-Cannon trail, it is steep nearly the entire way to the Kinsman trail. Challenging but fun. The ladder was fun but the rungs are worn down and could use replacement. On the way down, it is very steep for 0.2 miles from the intersection with Hi-Cannon down the Kinsman trail. The lonesome lake trail, from Kinsman trail to the lake, was very wet in several sections and needs some attention to divert the water off the trail. Deducted a star for that, but appears there is some repair work ongoing and hopefully that is addressed soon. I was with my 12-year-old daughter and it took us 6 hours with a 30 minute stop at the top.

Moderate from parking lot until hi Cannon trail, then difficult/steep until Kinsman trail. Last bit until tower is easy. Fun though with some rock scrambling. Ladder wasn't scary but it was in rough shape. Hopefully it is restored soon. Went down Kinsman to Lonesome lake trail and 0.2 miles from Hi cannon split down is very steep. Moderate after that. Lonesome lake trail was wet and slippery and needs some work. Watch reported 6 miles, not 5.

This hike is hard rather than moderate.
Very rocky and slippery, be sure you have good hiking shoes.
Once on the summit, the views are beautiful and it is possible to take the tram down. The way down was very challenging, again, because of the rocks.

Awesome views and fun challenges, but parts were pretty scary for me- someone who isn’t a fan of heights. Wear your hiking boots as some parts are muddy! Hi-Cannon and Kinsman parts I would say are more hard than moderate.

I think I saw one tree marked along this trail, it's a bit ridiculous how poorly marked it is. I normally wouldn't care, but I did this alone in the poring rain and it was slippery and I was a bit nervous haha. The ladder part was really fun, but the descent was nerve racking in spots, especially in rain. Lots of butt sliding. (The forecast said no rain, but this is New England after all.) There was no visibility at all from the lookout point the day I went. NONE. I have a picture of what looks like a white screen, which is a bummer, but I was still happy to make it to the top and maybe someday I'll return to experience the view.

accidentally did 2 miles on the pemi trail before starting. lots of fun, going down lonesome lake trail was neat and the lake itself was a better view than mt.cannon imo but well worth it regardless.

I have just completed the trail today and it was a memorable experience. I've added the mileage based on trail marker and it comes to almost 7 miles not 5 esp if you go around the lake to AMC hut. The view from the beach area at lonesome lake hut is incredibly picturesque. I like the view from the observation tower on top of Cannon Mountain as well.

The trail was steep and challenging especially when wet like today. I fell twice on the way down but brace myself well and was not too hurt. I climbed up from hi-canon which was really tough on a hot and humid day. It is densely wooded so there is not much to see but that changes once you get to Kinsman Ridge trail which has plenty of scenic vistas.

I will definitely hike this trail again and next time skip the chili at cannon tram cafe. And next time I will hit the trail earlier in the morning before it gets hot.

Enjoyed a perfect day with my 9 year old daughter. Trail up was dry and fast. Hi Cannon Trail was pretty steep and rocky, the ladder was a great obstacle along the way. Commanding views over Lonesome Lake. Summit was a bit disappointing to see ski area tourists, however the hike back down Kinsman Ridge / Lonesome Lake Trail was steep, very technical, and challenging. Decided to take the Around Lake trail, views are incredible. Well worth the trip! (With the around the lake routing, my total distance showed 6.8 miles, not 5.0)

Really good opportunity to practice bouldering, balance, and classic/practical hiking skills. The trails were very well maintained for june after a rough winter. Beautiful scenery and signage was clear. Do NOT take dogs on this hike. Better to go up Lonesome lake trail to Kinsman then go down Hi Cannon trail. Wish we stopped at the hut but the lake made the surrounding area very difficult to maneuver.

2018-0609 great hike on a beautiful day. very cold and windy at the tower.

This trail is not bad, it’s probably great in the summer/fall, BUT, if you’re going there anytime soon, please bring some micro-spikes because there is still a ton of ice and about 2/3 feet of snow in some areas. I did this with some friends today and it took us so long because we were all terrified of getting hurt. We had good hiking shoes and trekking poles, but that didn’t save us from the intense postholing, slipping, and bruising for at least a third of the trail. The trail is shaded so that’s really nice, and there’s not much to see until you get to the summit/pass by the lake. We went up to Mt. Cannon summit via the Hi-Cannon trail (not well marked FYI) and made our way down via the Lonesome Lake trail - the views were cool and the lake was a nice reward after surviving the ice.

Summited on 4/24. It was an unbelievable day,65 degrees and sunny. We went counter clockwise on the loop. With the warm temps and feet of snow still left, I was very glad I had my snowshoes. Wearing the snowshoes, my waterproof trail runners, and gaiters with them I was fine. Other groups had micro spikes, but I know mine would have been balling up. The way down from Cannon on the backside was quite steep, and with the heavy wet snow butt sliding was involuntary yet mandatory. With the warm temps we dried out quickly and were able to laugh about the short lived ordeal. Perhaps clockwise would have been a steeper ascent, but kinder descent. The views were fantastic, and as always, every slippery step was worth it.

hiked to the lake soaked up some sun then took the hi cannon loop trail. was a tough hike in snow and ice. so happy to have micro spikes on. the hike was wonderful and there are many views along the way. it was neat to see and use the ladder on our way down. a few really steep sections.
all in all I loved it and the weather was great. about mid to lower 30's

Thursday, October 19, 2017

Great trail. The Hi Cannon trail’s blue blazes were very faded. We probably saw 3-4 along the path that were evident. The trail is steep but it’s a quick climb to the top. The ladder was a nice addition and there were wonderful views along the way. Lonesome lake coming down was great. Steep in the beginning while going over large rocks but that kept it a fun adventure! The blazes on this trail were well marked. Seeing the lake towards the end was beautiful.

Monday, October 02, 2017

Nice Trail lots of large rocks. The ladder was a fun part of the trail. There are some spots where the trail seems to be near vertical.

Sunday, September 17, 2017

Love it. This is my favorite hike so far. Lots of scrambling. Wish the view had been better. Pretty foggy at the top. Aggressive for beginners. Didn't take too long as it's a short hike but the inclines were legit for moderate. I believe this should be listed in the hard category if it wasn't for it's shorter length.

Sunday, September 03, 2017

The lonesome lake is very beautiful and there are some beautiful views on the Kinsman Ridge trail. The trail is less "moderate" than other moderate trails - there'a a very steep section where you go hand over fist on rocks for about .5 miles coming up to the Kinsman Ridge tail. We did the trail staring with Lonesome Lake and the rock sheets on the Kinsman Trail take some care to descend. The trail is poorly marked, but easy to follow.

Monday, July 31, 2017

My first 4000-footer! You really can't beat the views in Franconia Notch on a blue-sky day. The Lafayette parking lot fills up crazy fast so expect to park alongside the road on a weekend. There's a nice little store at the campground for snacks after hiking and a real bathroom too. On top of the mountain, you can refill water and use the tram building to warm up (or cool down).

Monday, July 31, 2017

Lots of great views. Lots of people too around summit and the lake but didnt take away from the overall experience

Monday, August 22, 2016

This trail IS NOT the Hi-Cannon Trail. Hi-Cannon is steep and has a ladder that has to be climbed, it's also not that well blazed. Hi-Cannon (not High Cannon) is the dashed line to the right of the Lonesome Lake trail and it comes off a junction from Lonesome Lake just past the campground.

Went up Hi-Cannon (which is how it's spelt on the signage) to Cannon, came down the Kinsman Ridge and then Lonesome Lake back to the campground.

Nice 6.7 mile hike.

Monday, August 22, 2016

Hi-Cannon is a steep trail with a ladder at one point of it, so it is not dog friendly. It's recommended to go up Hi-Cannon and back down Lonesome Lake to complete the loop. The trail starts at the Lafayette Campground and you take the Lonesome Lake trail until the Hi-Cannon split. Total mileage was 5.7

The trail isn't well blazed. There are blue markers but they are few and far between. The trail is pretty easy to figure out which way to go.

Monday, May 25, 2015

Great views if you go out on the cliffs near the summit, definitely better than the tower which was over crowded by the phonies that took the tram up.

Saturday, June 07, 2014

This isn't really near Lincoln as much as it is in the Franconia notch. Lincoln is more south on 93.

Friday, November 02, 2012

I have done this trail a couple of times. I use it to complete a loop from Laf. campground up to Cannon Mt. Its a pretty nice trail. It has a great view back down at Lonesome Lake. It is steep in spots but again makes a great loop. Take Lonesome Lake trail to Kinsman Ridge trail to Cannon Mt, return via High Cannon Trail.