Hancock Loop Trail

Hancock Loop Trail is a 9.1 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Lincoln, New Hampshire that features a waterfall. The trail is rated as difficult and primarily used for hiking, camping, and birding. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

This is a fun loop trail to two 4,000 foot peaks in New Hampshire. There aren't any crazy great views but you'll get glimpses towards the Tripyramids, Carrigain of each mountain from the others summit.

We hiked this trail with the plan to set up camp on one of the peaks. However, we started late (around 11:30) and by the time we made it to Mount Hancock we were exhausted. We ended up leaving the trail at about 11 and getting on the Kancamangus. Unfortunately our heavy packs slowed us down and we didn't go as fast as we planned. The trail did seem to be more than nine miles as our Fitbit recorded nearly double that. The outlook views were great and we can now knock two more 4,000 footers off our list.

Just hiked this last weekend, 6/10/17, river crossings are much easier and are more like stream crossings at this point. North peak was easy to get up, not too steep.

My husband and I hiked this later in the day (around noon) . There were many streams and the water is pretty high right now. Those were the least of our challenges. Postholes are the biggest issue. Make sure to wear crampons or snow shoes during this hike. Very slippery on the way down the South Peak...to the point where we were sliding on our bums down for fun. Met a cute Gray Jay on top of the North Peak.

A great deal of this hike is flat, up until you choose between going up the north or south peak trail. Views are beautiful, but the peaks are wooded so they are limited.

I'm very much on the slow side but made the whole loop in under 6.5 hours! Loved the ridge line between the two peaks and the snow made it all magical! ❤️ Would rate as more difficult.

We hiked the Hancock Loop starting at the Kancamangus Hairpin parking lot. I am not a pro by any means but I have hiked 11 4,000 footers, so not a noob either. This is def not "moderate". I would rate it moderate to strenuous. We started at 0815 and knocked off the initial mileage at 20 mins per mile until the Hancock peak split. We went up the North peak first. This was pretty brutal. But glad we did, because leading up to the north peak is a sharp descent which I didn't want to have to face on my way back. The 1.4 mile connector between the north and south peaks was more or less straightforward. The descent from the South Peak was tricky. Lots of loose rocks and slipping and sliding going on. We got back to the parking lot around 2:15 (6 hours round trip).
All in all, doable hike, but on the strenuous side. Probably not a good idea to do this in inclement weather. I deducted a point for the wooded peaks, but the outlooks on each somewhat made up for it.

A really pleasant trail, very picturesque on the way in as it parallels a river for a while. Some good views from ledges near the summits. Fairly easy for the distance if you go up the north peak first, as most of the elevation gain happens over a very short section of trail.

Summited both, started raining on the way down and broke my iPhone, lost the pictures.

Saturday, May 21, 2016