Greeley Ponds Trail via Kancamagus Highway

Greeley Ponds Trail via Kancamagus Highway is a 7.2 mile out and back trail located near Lincoln, New Hampshire that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and cross country skiing and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Hardwood forest trail leads to two pristine mountain ponds Trail is rocky and muddy in places and there are several stream crossings. The second stream crossing can be difficult when the water is high (Spring) but is generally easy other times of year. The ponds are very pretty and there are many protected plants growing in the boggy section of the second pond. The shelter does not exist anymore but there are good places to relax by the water and even to swim. This is a good year round hike. You can turn around at any point you decide to. There are some nice water spills below the lower pond. Upper Greeley Pond, with its dark aqua-green color, is a beautiful spot, surrounded by old growth timber and towering cliffs. By contrast, Lower Greeley Pond is shallow and more typical of a beaver pond. Both ponds offer trout fishing and an enjoyable place to have a picnic lunch.

I would rate this hike as easy, barely more than a casual walk in the woods. A couple stream crossings, although the water is very low this time of year so those were simple boulder stepping. The weather was great and the trail only had a couple muddy spots. The autumn colors reflected well off the still water of the upper pond. The lower pond is very shallow with a muddy shoreline and an abundance of vegetation growing right out of the water. No grand vistas from this area but still very cool being down in the notch looking up at the surrounding mountains. Many signs of large game around the water but no sightings despite being out there at sunrise. I will advancing my hiking into snowshoeing for the first time this winter and feel this would be a perfect first trip out! Can't wait ti return when the snow starts.

This is a fantastic hike! Wish I would of know I'd be crossing a rocky stream shortly after starting. In retrospect we should of taken our boots off and crossed. It was a hot day so walking the rest with wet boots was not too bad. The trail head and all trails app doesn't identify the Greeley Pond Trail as the yellow markers on the trees. We figured it out. The trail was easy to moderate and fairly well maintained. Walking up to the first pond was better then expected. A pristine mountain pond with a duck couple swimming around and fish jumping. The second shallower pond was a short hike from the first. There was we were serenaded by birds and had a few swallow tail butterfly's fluttering around us as company. When we first came upon the second pond we apparent warned a bear we were there and in the distance we saw the blur of it run fast from the water into the woods. It was a peaceful, spectacularly beautiful delight.

Was a great winter little hike. Will be going back in the spring. I do recommend. Easy going.

Monday, November 14, 2016

Sunday, September 04, 2016

Saturday, June 25, 2016

Sunday, December 29, 2013

Sunday, January 27, 2013

Fantastic hike! Relatively easy great for a family. I did it as very relaxing possible fishing trip. The ponds are beautiful and very scenic. Camping is possible but only outside of the posted boundaries. Camping is Nowhere near the ponds but they are only a short hike away. I highly recommend. Stealth is the way to go. By the way the fly fishing may have been great with lots of beautiful native trout. But I will never tell.

Saturday, September 22, 2012