Great Gulf Trail

Great Gulf Trail is a 14.6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Gorham, New Hampshire that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

skiing

Directions from Dolly Copp Campground,: Travel past the campground entrance (Dolly Copp Road) to the very end. Begin on Gulf Link Trail and hike about 1 mile to Great Gulf Trail.

beautiful challenging trail. wonderful waterfalls. brand new trail signs too. Roy was not lying - we ran into several people who reported many many trees down on the last segment of the great gulf, totally obscuring the trail. highly recommend using the sphinx trail for summit access instead - it worked very nicely.

This was my second run through here over a two day period. Going from the campsite up toward Spaulding lake there was hundreds of gigantic trees blown down that were not there on my last trip. Must have been a very bad storm up there. This made our hike up much longer as we had to climb over trees that looked like they have been standing for a very long time. Not sure when they plan to clear that out but take this into account if your going up anytime around when I post this.

This trail is moderate in an overall sense, but in reality it starts out extremely easy on some ski trails and ends by taking you up a steep rock headwall with slightly unstable talus. The harder the trail gets, the more beautiful it gets. You hit waterfalls after you pass the branch for Six Husbands (a great trail itself) and they are possibly the best I've seen in the Whites. Some areas next to them can be slippery and the trail crosses some rocks that would fling you straight in the water if you slipped (pictures uploaded). It's moderate there until you pass the beautiful lake near the top after which it becomes hard going. The upper section of the trail was pretty flooded when I went and was more difficult than the head wall. There are almost no places to step to the side of the trail either. Trekking poles might help there. The headwall begins following a waterfall with convenient blazes, but when I went in July the trail adopter had not reblazed most of the headwall so I got off the trail twice after it turns to unmarked talus. That's the only section of the trail where there are any blazes at all after you enter Wilderness, so definitely take a map and be very aware of your surroundings. It's easy to get turned around near the campsites and water crossings. Overall the views were magnificent and I was the only one on the trail.

Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Like the last reviewer said, it's not the best trail in New Hampshire. What I like about it is where it puts you. The Great Gulf Wilderness has a campsite that makes a great base-camp that is a starting-point for a few summit climbs. The river is close to the site and allows for cooking and cleaning. All in all the trail serves a great purpose, which I have utilized 3 times in order to reach some of the peaks.

Wednesday, May 08, 2013

I hiked this trail about 30 years ago and remembered smelling the river for a long way. This time I did not notice it. It is not the best scenery in all New Hampshire but the are some good views and I never saw anyone else on the trail.

Monday, September 05, 2016