Gorge Brook Trail to Mount Moosilauke

Gorge Brook Trail to Mount Moosilauke is a 7.2 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near North Woodstock, New Hampshire that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

skiing

A fun loop hike with an optional epic backcountry ski descent if you choose the right time of year. This hike takes you up the Gorge Brook Trail from the Ravine Lodge Trailhead to the summit of the massive Mt. Moosilauke which used to have a hotel at the top believe it or not. You will still be able to see the old foundation up there. In the winter, from the top you can descend/ski to the South Peak to check it out before skiing powder and heading down a wide carriage road and ski connector path to the bottom.

First time hiking Mt Moosilauke. Phenomenal hike. Still a lot of snow along the trail on 4/22, but well packed down. Icy at the top and so beautiful. Used crampons + trekking poles and was fine. Be aware that the gate to access the lodge is closed (at least it was when we hiked), so expect to add at least 30 min to 45 min to your total trek time.

This shows up under Oregon hikes even tho it’s not in Oregon.

The gate was still closed because of earlier storm damage to get up to the trailhead so we had to walk the 1.3 miles from the road to the trailhead. Once we got to the trail it was beautiful, but a little too cold to make it to the summit today. We’ll definitely be back!

What a hike!! The trail wasn't well marked but it was fairly obvious where we were supposed to walk. Usually I prefer loops but for this one, I would take Gorge Brook both ways if I go again. It follows a stream for a few miles which is nice and it has more nice views to stop at along the way than Snapper does.

Super hiking experience! It’s easy to find and close to food and lodging in nearby Lincoln, NH (Loon Mountain Ski Area). The trail head has my two favorite amenities: parking and restrooms. Dartmouth College has a new lodge that’s open to the public.

We took Gorge Brook up and Carriage Road down. I’d recommend that order. Gorge Brook is steeper and more rocky. Most of the trail up is along a small falling creek. You get a waterfall feature for several miles!

The top is over 4800 feet and above the tree line. Dress in layers and put more on before you pop out of the tree line and head for the top! Pack a good lunch and spend some time at the top.

First snow of the year. Top was snow covered, cold and icy. Maybe PM will be better. Missed the last bit of the summit.

Great hike up Snapper and Carriage road to the summit. Took Gorge Brook trail down. Hardly any people going up, lots heading down. Started at 10:30am, got back about 2:30. Good hike for beginners who want to experience getting above the tree line

Last hiked in 1990. Took a group of teen and younger kids. Good hike; they enjoyed it.

A great trail with main viewpoints on the way up.

great loop and caught it on a great day. climbs steadily at a moderate grade. a bit rocky but no scrambling. Very cool summit ridge with outstanding 360 views. on this clear sunny day, could see much of the Whites to the north and east, and a clear view WNW over to Camels Hump, 75 miles away.

Incredibly rewarding trail. The loop keeps it interesting and the summit views cannot be beat. Full 360 views. Upper half of the mountain is rocky but like a jungle gym. Best 4K.

We came here on a rainy foggy day - the Moosilauke summit was very windy and we couldn't see anything beyond 200 feet.
On our way down we passed by South Peak where we caught some good views of the fall foliage after the sky cleared up.
It's a nice moderate hike and it took us about 4 moving hours to complete. There are a lot of rocks so if you're going there on a rainy day, I'd recommend you bring some trekking poles.

took gorge trail up which was a gradual grade with many rock type steps. Lots of scenic views on the way up and worth the hike. The top was windy and chilly so bring layers. The descent seemed long, but looking back it went rather quickly. It took us 3 hrs and 15 min moving time, to do the Round Trip 7.7 miles from our car. Our avg pace was 2.4 mph.

What a beautiful hike! The elevation gain is truly spread out over the assent, so no one part is remembered as heartbreak hill. On a clear September Saturday, the summit was PACKED. If you're looking for a quiet place to rest, I recommend taking the small detour to the South Peak, which is not a 4K summit but is just as beautiful. I really appreciated the respectful quiet there.

Went up with my wife yesterday. Relatively easy up to "Last Sure Water" at 3300 feet, mainly due to a tired right hip. Loads of water views and outstanding 360 degree views at the busy and breezy summit. Hiked down via the South summit which has equally stunning views. My only issues trail-wise was a lot of loose gravel and stones and some very narrow trails. Only other issues were my hip and a knee on the way down, exacerbated by the long trail and it being 300-800 feet higher than most of my 4000s to date. Can't say enough about the view though. Well worth the ibuprofen.

Excellent hike up a large mountain , views are amazing. Not too bad getting down either, made stop at south peak too. Got busy on the trails as day went on and you need to arrive at trail parking early to not add 2 miles to your hike.

Did this Trail yesterday, had a complete blast with this Gentle Giant

Great hike up with some great views on the way but the summit is the best!

Note: the end of the access road is blocked to hiker cars due to construction. it will add a half mile in each direction to the hike.
Easy to moderate going up. a few steep spots but no climbing. I'm an intermediate climber and it took a little less than 2 hrs to summit from lodge on Ravine Rd.

I really enjoyed this hike. This was my first 4,000 footer and I have to say it wasn't as challenging as I thought it would be. The top was very foggy when we reached the summit so I think this is on the list to do again just to be able to experience the views better. We did the south peak on the way back which was cool to look up at Moosilauke to see how far you've travelled. The fog wasn't as bad over there so we did get some decent views.

This is a terrific hike for those who are transitioning from moderate to difficult hikes. We started with the snapper trail, which starts off steep, levels off and then ramps up again. Make sure to stop by the south peak, which is only a 0.1 mile digression from hiking to the top of mount Moosilauke.

The trail head is a bit confusing to find (you'll have to walk close to a mile from the parking to the start of the trail), but the remainder of the loop is straight forward and we'll labeled. Make sure to bring sunscreen, since the trail is not very well covered by trees.

Took Gorge Brook to Snapper to Carriage Road. Had a misty climb up, but it was worth it to wait out the clouds and high winds at the summit for a while for some awesome views! Bring some layers and plenty of water. Brought my dog and he had no trouble with this route at all! Highly recommend.

What a wonderful trail; gradual incline that gave no indication you were climbing a 4000' mountain. Peaceful trail through the woods with nice viewpoints created along the way by trail crews. The summit was busy but the 360° views were worth it.

Construction continues at the lodge. We walked an additional 0.8 miles to the trail head from the car. Plan on adding some extra mileage for now!

Took just about 3hrs and it was so beautiful! A cloudy day but the views were still amazing. Parked almost a mile away from the start (construction on the parking lot). Went up through Gorge which was pretty steep but really nice. The rocks were a bit slippery but not bad. Came back on Carriage/Snapper which was much easier. It did rain a bit on the way down but that was a nice way to cool down. Definitely wished I had some gloves and an extra long sleeve for the summit - it was chilly!

Great views. Did the loop. Saw a MOOSE on moose!

First, know that there is construction going on and that you will have to park 1-2 miles from the trailhead. On the day I made this loop (8/6/2017), my total mileage was over 10 miles. There are no bathroom facilities unless you are able to use the construction Porto potty as I and other hikers did.

I had a gorgeous day to hike--just the right temp and mostly sunny. The trail does not have blazes but the path is easy to follow, just pay attention so you do not end up on a game trail. The loop worked well for me going Gorge Brook to the summit. It is more steep than the Carriage Road, and I prefer steep ups and less steep downs. Most of the trail up is in a green tunnel. Close to the summit are openings to see the surrounding mountains. The summit is amazing. The day I hiked was very windy and cold at the summit. I was glad to find an extra jacket, wool hat, and gloves in my pack while hunkered down at the summit. It blew so much that I kept getting knocked about by the wind and didn't want to get my phone out for a summit sign photo for fear I'd drop and break my phone.

I made the trek across the summit to meet the Carriage Road, keeping my hand on my hat. I couldn't believe the power of the wind! Once in the scrub, walking was easier. The trek down was perhaps more boring than the trek up, but definitely easier on my joints with fewer boulder steps and mostly a gentle but rocky decline.

The trail is marked as moderate. I say the Gorge Brook trail is a challenging moderate and that the Carriage Road is a solid moderate with all those rocks.

Had a great time!

Trails are in excellent condition. Views are amazing. We did Gorge Brook to top and returned on Carriage and Snapper. Due to lodge construction, part of ravine road is closed so there is an extra 0.8 mile to walk from parking lot to trailhead so 1.6 more miles for round trip (9.5 miles according to my watch). I did this with my 11 year old daughter and it took us 7.5 hours. Our pace was slower than most, but plan accordingly for extra distance. We arrived at 7:30 and were one of the first cars but lot filled quickly after.

Awesome sunrise hike! It was very cloudy we I hiked but being up close to the sun was pretty cool. There was no parking signs at the starting point of the main trail due to construction.