Gorge Brook Trail to Mount Moosilauke

Gorge Brook Trail to Mount Moosilauke is a 7.3 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near North Woodstock, New Hampshire that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

skiing

A fun loop hike with an optional epic backcountry ski descent if you choose the right time of year. This hike takes you up the Gorge Brook Trail from the Ravine Lodge Trailhead to the summit of the massive Mt. Moosilauke which used to have a hotel at the top believe it or not. You will still be able to see the old foundation up there. In the winter, from the top you can descend/ski to the South Peak to check it out before skiing powder and heading down a wide carriage road and ski connector path to the bottom.

I really enjoyed this hike. This was my first 4,000 footer and I have to say it wasn't as challenging as I thought it would be. The top was very foggy when we reached the summit so I think this is on the list to do again just to be able to experience the views better. We did the south peak on the way back which was cool to look up at Moosilauke to see how far you've travelled. The fog wasn't as bad over there so we did get some decent views.

This is a terrific hike for those who are transitioning from moderate to difficult hikes. We started with the snapper trail, which starts off steep, levels off and then ramps up again. Make sure to stop by the south peak, which is only a 0.1 mile digression from hiking to the top of mount Moosilauke.

The trail head is a bit confusing to find (you'll have to walk close to a mile from the parking to the start of the trail), but the remainder of the loop is straight forward and we'll labeled. Make sure to bring sunscreen, since the trail is not very well covered by trees.

Took Gorge Brook to Snapper to Carriage Road. Had a misty climb up, but it was worth it to wait out the clouds and high winds at the summit for a while for some awesome views! Bring some layers and plenty of water. Brought my dog and he had no trouble with this route at all! Highly recommend.

What a wonderful trail; gradual incline that gave no indication you were climbing a 4000' mountain. Peaceful trail through the woods with nice viewpoints created along the way by trail crews. The summit was busy but the 360° views were worth it.

Construction continues at the lodge. We walked an additional 0.8 miles to the trail head from the car. Plan on adding some extra mileage for now!

Took just about 3hrs and it was so beautiful! A cloudy day but the views were still amazing. Parked almost a mile away from the start (construction on the parking lot). Went up through Gorge which was pretty steep but really nice. The rocks were a bit slippery but not bad. Came back on Carriage/Snapper which was much easier. It did rain a bit on the way down but that was a nice way to cool down. Definitely wished I had some gloves and an extra long sleeve for the summit - it was chilly!

Great views. Did the loop. Saw a MOOSE on moose!

First, know that there is construction going on and that you will have to park 1-2 miles from the trailhead. On the day I made this loop (8/6/2017), my total mileage was over 10 miles. There are no bathroom facilities unless you are able to use the construction Porto potty as I and other hikers did.

I had a gorgeous day to hike--just the right temp and mostly sunny. The trail does not have blazes but the path is easy to follow, just pay attention so you do not end up on a game trail. The loop worked well for me going Gorge Brook to the summit. It is more steep than the Carriage Road, and I prefer steep ups and less steep downs. Most of the trail up is in a green tunnel. Close to the summit are openings to see the surrounding mountains. The summit is amazing. The day I hiked was very windy and cold at the summit. I was glad to find an extra jacket, wool hat, and gloves in my pack while hunkered down at the summit. It blew so much that I kept getting knocked about by the wind and didn't want to get my phone out for a summit sign photo for fear I'd drop and break my phone.

I made the trek across the summit to meet the Carriage Road, keeping my hand on my hat. I couldn't believe the power of the wind! Once in the scrub, walking was easier. The trek down was perhaps more boring than the trek up, but definitely easier on my joints with fewer boulder steps and mostly a gentle but rocky decline.

The trail is marked as moderate. I say the Gorge Brook trail is a challenging moderate and that the Carriage Road is a solid moderate with all those rocks.

Had a great time!

Trails are in excellent condition. Views are amazing. We did Gorge Brook to top and returned on Carriage and Snapper. Due to lodge construction, part of ravine road is closed so there is an extra 0.8 mile to walk from parking lot to trailhead so 1.6 more miles for round trip (9.5 miles according to my watch). I did this with my 11 year old daughter and it took us 7.5 hours. Our pace was slower than most, but plan accordingly for extra distance. We arrived at 7:30 and were one of the first cars but lot filled quickly after.

Awesome sunrise hike! It was very cloudy we I hiked but being up close to the sun was pretty cool. There was no parking signs at the starting point of the main trail due to construction.

Beautiful hike.

The loop was very gradual and the views are spectacular. Very well marked. Can get crowded, we arrived at 915 and lot was already full parked a ways down. But we were there to walk/hike anyway.