Gorge Brook Trail to Mount Moosilauke

Gorge Brook Trail to Mount Moosilauke is a 7.2 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near North Woodstock, New Hampshire that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

skiing

A fun loop hike with an optional epic backcountry ski descent if you choose the right time of year. This hike takes you up the Gorge Brook Trail from the Ravine Lodge Trailhead to the summit of the massive Mt. Moosilauke which used to have a hotel at the top believe it or not. You will still be able to see the old foundation up there. In the winter, from the top you can descend/ski to the South Peak to check it out before skiing powder and heading down a wide carriage road and ski connector path to the bottom.

Love this mountain! It's a bit of a Trek but its super easy ( Gorge Brook Trail). It was cloudy when I went so the views were limited but still gorgeous with lots of different terrain and vegetation. highly recommend this trail!

Took Snapper Trail to Carriage Road then descended Gorge Brook Trail. About 5 hours total hiking time. Great hike with impressive views. Would love to do again in winter.

Amazing hike. Moderate climb and the views at the top were fantastic!! Definitely one of my favorite hikes.

One of the best hikes in New Hampshire. I went on a Wednesday and there was a lot of hikers on the trail. And due to the construction going on now you have to park on the side of the dirt road, and due to the line of cars your hike may be a bit longer than anticipated. But the view from the top is fantastic.

Its a nice moderate hike. Its not very steep. It opens up very nicely at the summit. Make sure to get a jacket as it gets super windy and cold even on a hot day. Amazing views from the top.

The view at the summit is without a doubt nice, but the hike up and and back down is is surrounded by lush forest. I’m a fan of alpine hiking so I wasn’t so stoked about this one. That’s my only reasoning for the low rating.

Some nice views once you get to the top. Depending on where you park this trail is closer to 8miles.
We took our 17 month old which usually makes any hike a little more difficult...but if you choose to do the same I would say this trail is closer to difficult because all the rocks and roots. Some sections are pretty steep as well.

Très beau sentier, pas très difficile, le terme moderate convient parfaitement. La vue est magnifique.

Beautiful hike on a gorgeous June day! Temps were in the 60s - low 70s. It took me just over 4hrs to complete going up Gorge Brook and down Carriage and Snapper. Clear skies allowed for breath taking views in all directions.
The trails were well marked and maintained by Dartmouth's outing club. The lodge at the trailhead looked beautiful!

Some water along the trail on the way up. Not a very strenuous hike. A couple pockets with nice views once you hit a few thousand ft. At the top you have a 360 view of the surrounding mountains. Very beautiful, very windy, and cold! Good hike overall.

Phenomenal hike! I did this hike in late May 2018, 65 degrees F, partly cloudy. Surprising amount of snow pack still remained on trail about 4300’ and up. The trail is accurately described as moderate, as there are few steep inclines, but a lot of rocks on trail. Don’t forget your camera, there are many good opportunities for views all the way up. Of course the summit is not wooded, so the view from the west looking into the White Mountains is amazing! For wildlife, I saw many birds and one red squirrel. Overall, a thrilling hike for my first 4000’er

Well marked along the except for the beginning of the trail next to the river misled us a few steps. Gradual climb to the top, definitely windy once we summited, suggest brining extra layers for this one. We went up the Gorge Brook trail and down the Snapper trail both trail were in excellent shape. A little tight parking on the road, nothing to be concerned about though.

#10 of 48

Excellent first day of summer hike under a gorgeous blue sky. The Gorge Brook Trail is a moderate trail with several switch backs that allows for periods of relatively mild slopes followed by some steep and rocky inclines, especially near tree line. Great hike over to South Peak via the Carriage Rd. Trail, and then returning on Snapper Trail. I think you could do this loop in either direction in dry conditions. Given I'm in my 60's I didn't find it too difficult.

Not super challenging. It’s a good laid back hike. Summit has a great view. Just make sure you have a light jacket for the top because it’s super windy.

Beautiful trail! Very easy to follow with well marked junctions. I brought along my little 10 lb dog who made it up and down just fine. We took Snapper Trail and Carriage Road up, then Gorge Brooke down. Great views from both the south peak and summit. The summit is exposed and tends to be windy, so definitely bring a sweater or jacket (and some sunscreen!). The way up was moderate, with a pretty steady incline.

Well traveled, marked, and cared for trail. VERY windy at the summit! Gorgeous 360 degree views.

Really nice trail.

Great hike. I didn’t start to record the hike until near the trail head. If you take into consideration parking on a busier day it probably adds another mile or so to the hike. The weather was amazing today, so there were quite a few people out. It made the trails a little busy, but not enough to complain about. The summit had amazing views. I would recommend climbing the gorge brook first, crossing the ride on the carriage trail, and then descending down the snapper trail. I wouldn’t recommend going the reverse loop and descending down the gorge brook. Depending on your pace you can make the loop in pretty good time...I would say we kept moderate pace and it took 3hrs 19min of moving time, 4hrs 4min total time, 7.2miles, 2448ft of elevation change (this excludes the mile from trail head to parking).

Hiked on 6/2/2018. Beautiful hike through winding pines. No views at top because of clouds. Sunny at bottom of trail but wind and clouds at peak (very glad to have had my jacket). Steady gradual climb. Rocky trail with some fallen trees. Crossed a few small streams by stepping on large rocks and large streams by walking over wooden bridges. Did Gorge Brook to Carriage to Snapper (loop). 8.8 miles. 5 hour moving time (6 hour 15 total time). 2641 elevation gain. Not too many people on the trail (we started late morning and think everyone was ahead of us). Parked on road behind a long line of cars and walked about .5 miles to beginning of trail.

Did this trail yesterday 5/16/18 and we started at noon. We made a stop in the beginning for about an hour so my friend could boil water along one of the streams. Closer to the top there are more snow banks than not over the trail but completely doable without crampons etc. We stopped again for lunch once the treeline receded at about 4500 ft. and summited Moosilauke by 5. Going down the carriage road trail we were out just before 8. Beautiful trail great views. I'm not entirely sure but far far out North West I believe you can see Lafayette

Did this trail yesterday. Some great views with some relatively okay spring conditions. Monorail was kind of a pain and caused me to slip in a couple of places. Footbridges that cross the brook need to be fixed because they all feel mostly unstable.

Great hike with nice views along the ridge. We did this hike in December. There was snow but it was a warmer day so it was fantastic. We had the trail mostly to ourselves wish I’m sure isn’t the case in the warmer seasons.

we took gorge brook up and carriage road to snapper trail down. Do not recommend taking gorge brook without spikes, very icy! Sprained my ankle slipping into deep snow and passed by a few other hikers with the same problem. Beautiful view but very windy, might want to pack an extra jacket!

Gate open at base. Still lots of snow during ascend via George Brook on 5/5/18. Spikes and poles suggested. Summit clear of snow and very windy. Excellent views. Descended via Carriage Road and Snapper. These trails were more gradual and wide.

First time hiking Mt Moosilauke. Phenomenal hike. Still a lot of snow along the trail on 4/22, but well packed down. Icy at the top and so beautiful. Used crampons + trekking poles and was fine. Be aware that the gate to access the lodge is closed (at least it was when we hiked), so expect to add at least 30 min to 45 min to your total trek time.

This shows up under Oregon hikes even tho it’s not in Oregon.

The gate was still closed because of earlier storm damage to get up to the trailhead so we had to walk the 1.3 miles from the road to the trailhead. Once we got to the trail it was beautiful, but a little too cold to make it to the summit today. We’ll definitely be back!