Gorge Brook Trail to Mount Moosilauke

Gorge Brook Trail to Mount Moosilauke is a 7.2 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near North Woodstock, New Hampshire that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

skiing

A fun loop hike with an optional epic backcountry ski descent if you choose the right time of year. This hike takes you up the Gorge Brook Trail from the Ravine Lodge Trailhead to the summit of the massive Mt. Moosilauke which used to have a hotel at the top believe it or not. You will still be able to see the old foundation up there. In the winter, from the top you can descend/ski to the South Peak to check it out before skiing powder and heading down a wide carriage road and ski connector path to the bottom.

Beautiful trail! Very easy to follow with well marked junctions. I brought along my little 10 lb dog who made it up and down just fine. We took Snapper Trail and Carriage Road up, then Gorge Brooke down. Great views from both the south peak and summit. The summit is exposed and tends to be windy, so definitely bring a sweater or jacket (and some sunscreen!). The way up was moderate, with a pretty steady incline.

Well traveled, marked, and cared for trail. VERY windy at the summit! Gorgeous 360 degree views.

Really nice trail.

Great hike. I didn’t start to record the hike until near the trail head. If you take into consideration parking on a busier day it probably adds another mile or so to the hike. The weather was amazing today, so there were quite a few people out. It made the trails a little busy, but not enough to complain about. The summit had amazing views. I would recommend climbing the gorge brook first, crossing the ride on the carriage trail, and then descending down the snapper trail. I wouldn’t recommend going the reverse loop and descending down the gorge brook. Depending on your pace you can make the loop in pretty good time...I would say we kept moderate pace and it took 3hrs 19min of moving time, 4hrs 4min total time, 7.2miles, 2448ft of elevation change (this excludes the mile from trail head to parking).

Hiked on 6/2/2018. Beautiful hike through winding pines. No views at top because of clouds. Sunny at bottom of trail but wind and clouds at peak (very glad to have had my jacket). Steady gradual climb. Rocky trail with some fallen trees. Crossed a few small streams by stepping on large rocks and large streams by walking over wooden bridges. Did Gorge Brook to Carriage to Snapper (loop). 8.8 miles. 5 hour moving time (6 hour 15 total time). 2641 elevation gain. Not too many people on the trail (we started late morning and think everyone was ahead of us). Parked on road behind a long line of cars and walked about .5 miles to beginning of trail.

Did this trail yesterday 5/16/18 and we started at noon. We made a stop in the beginning for about an hour so my friend could boil water along one of the streams. Closer to the top there are more snow banks than not over the trail but completely doable without crampons etc. We stopped again for lunch once the treeline receded at about 4500 ft. and summited Moosilauke by 5. Going down the carriage road trail we were out just before 8. Beautiful trail great views. I'm not entirely sure but far far out North West I believe you can see Lafayette

Did this trail yesterday. Some great views with some relatively okay spring conditions. Monorail was kind of a pain and caused me to slip in a couple of places. Footbridges that cross the brook need to be fixed because they all feel mostly unstable.

Great hike with nice views along the ridge. We did this hike in December. There was snow but it was a warmer day so it was fantastic. We had the trail mostly to ourselves wish I’m sure isn’t the case in the warmer seasons.

we took gorge brook up and carriage road to snapper trail down. Do not recommend taking gorge brook without spikes, very icy! Sprained my ankle slipping into deep snow and passed by a few other hikers with the same problem. Beautiful view but very windy, might want to pack an extra jacket!

Gate open at base. Still lots of snow during ascend via George Brook on 5/5/18. Spikes and poles suggested. Summit clear of snow and very windy. Excellent views. Descended via Carriage Road and Snapper. These trails were more gradual and wide.

First time hiking Mt Moosilauke. Phenomenal hike. Still a lot of snow along the trail on 4/22, but well packed down. Icy at the top and so beautiful. Used crampons + trekking poles and was fine. Be aware that the gate to access the lodge is closed (at least it was when we hiked), so expect to add at least 30 min to 45 min to your total trek time.

This shows up under Oregon hikes even tho it’s not in Oregon.

The gate was still closed because of earlier storm damage to get up to the trailhead so we had to walk the 1.3 miles from the road to the trailhead. Once we got to the trail it was beautiful, but a little too cold to make it to the summit today. We’ll definitely be back!

What a hike!! The trail wasn't well marked but it was fairly obvious where we were supposed to walk. Usually I prefer loops but for this one, I would take Gorge Brook both ways if I go again. It follows a stream for a few miles which is nice and it has more nice views to stop at along the way than Snapper does.

Super hiking experience! It’s easy to find and close to food and lodging in nearby Lincoln, NH (Loon Mountain Ski Area). The trail head has my two favorite amenities: parking and restrooms. Dartmouth College has a new lodge that’s open to the public.

We took Gorge Brook up and Carriage Road down. I’d recommend that order. Gorge Brook is steeper and more rocky. Most of the trail up is along a small falling creek. You get a waterfall feature for several miles!

The top is over 4800 feet and above the tree line. Dress in layers and put more on before you pop out of the tree line and head for the top! Pack a good lunch and spend some time at the top.

First snow of the year. Top was snow covered, cold and icy. Maybe PM will be better. Missed the last bit of the summit.

Great hike up Snapper and Carriage road to the summit. Took Gorge Brook trail down. Hardly any people going up, lots heading down. Started at 10:30am, got back about 2:30. Good hike for beginners who want to experience getting above the tree line

Last hiked in 1990. Took a group of teen and younger kids. Good hike; they enjoyed it.

A great trail with main viewpoints on the way up.

great loop and caught it on a great day. climbs steadily at a moderate grade. a bit rocky but no scrambling. Very cool summit ridge with outstanding 360 views. on this clear sunny day, could see much of the Whites to the north and east, and a clear view WNW over to Camels Hump, 75 miles away.

Incredibly rewarding trail. The loop keeps it interesting and the summit views cannot be beat. Full 360 views. Upper half of the mountain is rocky but like a jungle gym. Best 4K.

We came here on a rainy foggy day - the Moosilauke summit was very windy and we couldn't see anything beyond 200 feet.
On our way down we passed by South Peak where we caught some good views of the fall foliage after the sky cleared up.
It's a nice moderate hike and it took us about 4 moving hours to complete. There are a lot of rocks so if you're going there on a rainy day, I'd recommend you bring some trekking poles.

took gorge trail up which was a gradual grade with many rock type steps. Lots of scenic views on the way up and worth the hike. The top was windy and chilly so bring layers. The descent seemed long, but looking back it went rather quickly. It took us 3 hrs and 15 min moving time, to do the Round Trip 7.7 miles from our car. Our avg pace was 2.4 mph.

What a beautiful hike! The elevation gain is truly spread out over the assent, so no one part is remembered as heartbreak hill. On a clear September Saturday, the summit was PACKED. If you're looking for a quiet place to rest, I recommend taking the small detour to the South Peak, which is not a 4K summit but is just as beautiful. I really appreciated the respectful quiet there.

Went up with my wife yesterday. Relatively easy up to "Last Sure Water" at 3300 feet, mainly due to a tired right hip. Loads of water views and outstanding 360 degree views at the busy and breezy summit. Hiked down via the South summit which has equally stunning views. My only issues trail-wise was a lot of loose gravel and stones and some very narrow trails. Only other issues were my hip and a knee on the way down, exacerbated by the long trail and it being 300-800 feet higher than most of my 4000s to date. Can't say enough about the view though. Well worth the ibuprofen.

Excellent hike up a large mountain , views are amazing. Not too bad getting down either, made stop at south peak too. Got busy on the trails as day went on and you need to arrive at trail parking early to not add 2 miles to your hike.

Did this Trail yesterday, had a complete blast with this Gentle Giant

Great hike up with some great views on the way but the summit is the best!