Gorge Brook Trail to Mount Moosilauke

Gorge Brook Trail to Mount Moosilauke is a 7.2 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near North Woodstock, New Hampshire that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

skiing

A fun loop hike with an optional epic backcountry ski descent if you choose the right time of year. This hike takes you up the Gorge Brook Trail from the Ravine Lodge Trailhead to the summit of the massive Mt. Moosilauke which used to have a hotel at the top believe it or not. You will still be able to see the old foundation up there. In the winter, from the top you can descend/ski to the South Peak to check it out before skiing powder and heading down a wide carriage road and ski connector path to the bottom.

Very easy ascent with no scrambles and a few good lookouts along the way. Bring a jacket! Bald summit = cold and windy. I went early on a Thursday morning and there were a ridiculous amount of people heading up as i went down, so this isnt really a good place to go escape crowds, but the views were unreal, so it was worth it. It took me 4.5 hrs including 15 mins at the top and a few breaks at the other views.

I can see why they call her the gentile giant. Very gradual elevation gain, with not a lot of scrambling, and a decent amount of above tree-line hiking. Pretty cool summit with 360 degree views on a clear day..

Just an absolute joy of a hike on the first crisp day of the season. The ascent is broken up with wide, smooth, gently inclining sections, and the descent down the carriage road is easy, and lovely with some pretty views every now and then. The summit offers a wonderful 360 with lots of room to spread out and a couple of dry laid curved walls for shelter if the weather is bad. I took a runner friend who hasn’t hiked much, and round trip was about 4.5 hours including 15 minutes at the summit and another five minute break to let a group of Very Loud Talkers pass. Awesome trail for families!

Very hard hike w Donna

Beautiful mountain, heavily traveled, easy to follow trails. Took Gorge to summit carriage back.

I gave it a 4 because it was difficult to navigate the first few miles. I guess I'm out of shape, but I would call this trail more difficult than moderate. Very hard on the knees

Easy hike up with the dog. Very crowded on the holiday weekend. Excellent views.

fantastic hike

Great hike!

I forgot to review this 2 weeks ago when I hiked it. I will say I found the beginning of the trail hard to follow as it wasn’t terribly well marked. It became much better marked once you get past the initial section. Also when I did it - a large section of the trail was rerouted. But nevertheless my pup and I made it - though the trail is quite rocky. The view at the top was amazing though

LOVE it! my favorite 4000 footer so far and can't wait to do it again! Beautiful trail, goes alongside water for a long way in, view spots on the way up, gets steep and rocky toward top but doable, then you come out at a false summit, in a short while you see the rocky ridge of the actual summit ahead but first you get to cross a beautiful alpine meadow! The top is gorgeous with 360 degree views ( on a clear day) very rocky but awesome. There are some wind breaks you can sit behind to eat lunch, it is often windy at the top, bring a jacket. On the way down the carriage road you cross the AT and may meet hikers from all over the world. This hike took 5.5 hours with breaks. Enjoy!

Great day hike.

It's a great hike but prepared to be a little longer. It was a little confusing at first when you come near the water but then it's pretty marked going up the Gorge brook trail. The smell of pine trees and the sound of the water going up it was so serene. Some rocks so should wear appropriate shoes, slippery in some areas.

I am a pretty good hiker but found this one a bit tough. I didn’t realize it was mostly rocks...ALL the way to the top. I found it moderate to hard. Great views once you get closer to the top. Having never been here before, i found it confusing in spots to know where the trail was. After crossing once of the bridges, there were several pathways....i figured it out. My bostie pup did ok for awhile but all the rocks really did a number on her knees and hips. Overall, never doing it again. Met some great people along the way though!

Gorge brook is beautiful and offers a few great viewpoints on the way to the summit. The summit was slightly crowded, but had insane views of the surrounding landscape. The carriage trail was a real slog after the south summit, with a lot of loose rocks that slowed us down. The snapper trail was pretty nice. No real rock scrambles, just a steady climb up and down. Moderate seems about right, but I’m still pretty sore from this hike a day later.

Pretty good hike. Went up Gorge Brook trail and Down Carriage Road. Would definitely recommend this because it gives u great views on the way up and down. It took a bit longer than we thought and we should have started earlier in the day as it was getting dark by the time we got out. It is definitely a moderate hike, and u should expect it to be steep for a good portion up and down. It is dog friendly and our dog had no trouble with it, other than being a little tired. A little disappointed because it was really foggy and we had no view. Good hike for a rainy day other than that.

You need to be ready for the distance other than that not too bad. Mostly small rocks on the trial. Steady climb. Pretty cool at the top.

I loved this trail. Probably my favorite 4,000 so far. It had everything. A little steepness. A little flat. The views were beautiful. Did Gorge Brook up and Carriage trail to Snapper down. So much fun. Lots of people passing me but that’s okay! So great. Loved it.

Gorge brook & the snapper are well maintained trails throughout and offered an enjoyable hike. Most steep sections are quickly balanced with flat stretches and the summit offers some great views. Bridges are sketchy, but held up to a 200lb hiker. We hiked in on a rainy day and had no trouble. We were able to finish the loop in just over 4 hours traveling at a moderate pace.

My favorite 48-4000 footer so far!! This hike was easier than expected which was nice. Well maintained trail, good footing, and a lot of rock steps. The first few miles the trail follows a river and you cross it a few times on bridges. The bridges could be redone they are a bit sketchy, but they do the job. The summit of the mountain is gorgeous! Highly recommended. The only bad part of this hike was the parking. We had to park almost a mile away from the trail head due to many cars for the Ravine Lodge.

Spent five hours on this loop two days ago with drizzle. The trail was wet and the summit was foggy and windy and chilly. But we were surprise to met a Dartmouth College student at the summit as an “Alpine Steward”. She was sitting in the foundation of a burned away hotel and answered some of our questions. I admired her spirit of protecting the fragile alpine vege on top of the mountain and had to hike all the way up to meet different hiker and educated them. Thumbs up for her! Then from her I knew that the snapper trail and carriage trail were wider in 1920-1940, so people can drive jeeps to the summit! Amazing facts! Of course, the way down was much easier than way up. Also loved all kinds of mushroom beside the Carriage Trail. Enjoyed the brooks below 3300 feet. Anyway, this is a memorable hiking, especially feel the real “rain forest”.

loved this trail! Definitely the right level of difficulty for me. Need to try this peak on a more clear day for the amazing view

Great hike for a rainy day! There weren’t any spots too wet or slippery even in just my sneakers. I just wish I had listened to my gut and taken the Gorge Brooke trail down; the Carriage Rd to Snapper trail was pretty boring. I’m planning to go back next month with my daughter on a clear day to check out the view. Definitely doable for young kids and dogs.

Beautiful and moderately easy hike to the summit of Moosilauke. We went up Gorge Brooke and then down Carriage Road to Snapper Trail. Incredible views at the summit and a few openings on the way up and down. Would definitely do this hike again.

surfing

shit was WACK. May wig was GONE. That aint for fuckin walkin. Ya'll need to CLIMB THIS BICH. Do not recommend unless y'all hate breathing/tryna catch some relaxing time with your baby daddy. BYEEEEE

8/6 Monday 90 degrees, summit was absolutely beautiful! Took Gorge brook trail up and carriage down. Enjoyed the evergreen smell most of the way to summit

My 5.5 yo and 8.5 yo and I hiked this together. Gorge Brook up was difficult for those little legs, but with lots of pit stops for water and snacks, they made it up in under 4 hours. When we got to the summit my little one exclaimed "This is the Best. Hike. Ever! Thank you mom for taking us on it!!" Worth it. Back down Carriage and Snapper took them about 2 hours while singing every disney song they knew. Best. Day. Ever.

Wonderful hike! Beautiful landscape and great summit! Nearing the summit reminded me of Scotland with rolling fog and green everywhere, above tree line.

Great hike. Summit is very windy (30+mph). Took Gorge Brook up and Carriage road down. Very rocky the whole time. Paths well marked. View from the top was beautiful. Would do again. Did the loop in 4 hours 30 minutes. We took a few breaks and relaxed up at the summit out of the wind.